How to play audio in different rooms? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By djjoshuad
  • 1 Post By sqmzeea
  • 1 Post By koturban

post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to play audio in different rooms?

Hi guys, a massive noob question but Im hoping you can help.

Ive just brought a new flat and am doing extensive work to the basement and kitchen. Im hoping to have an audio system that will allow for sound to be played at the same time in both rooms or separately. The living room (the basement) will have a cinema style tv setup down there so Id like the audio from that to be played through the same speakers in that room. I would like the data to be either stored locally (NAS) or streamed from OS.

Im looking for help with equipment, software and understanding how to create the system.

I know its not a crazy set up but itll be my first crack at media. I used to run cat5 on the London Underground so I have knowledge of data cable running and terminating. I just have no clue about media set ups for home.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Your question has too many variables but.....

If you use a Mac as a music streamer you can simply add an AirPort Express (or Apple TV) and stream the music to it or them (as many locations on your WiFi as you want). No Cat5 needed. The only wires needed are S/PDIF or analog from the AirPort Express to your receiver/amp.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camboselecta View Post
Hi guys, a massive noob question but Im hoping you can help.

Ive just brought a new flat and am doing extensive work to the basement and kitchen. Im hoping to have an audio system that will allow for sound to be played at the same time in both rooms or separately. The living room (the basement) will have a cinema style tv setup down there so Id like the audio from that to be played through the same speakers in that room. I would like the data to be either stored locally (NAS) or streamed from OS.

Im looking for help with equipment, software and understanding how to create the system.

I know its not a crazy set up but itll be my first crack at media. I used to run cat5 on the London Underground so I have knowledge of data cable running and terminating. I just have no clue about media set ups for home.

thanks in advance.
Many AVRs just above the econo level have a feature called Zone 2. Zone 2 is for remote listening and you can at the least control its volume centrally from the AVR. In some cases Zone 1 (main speakers) and Zone 2 (remote speakers) can play different sound sources.

Zone 2 may lead to line level output RCA connectors on the back of the AVR, or it may be possible to route Zone 2 through unused power amps in the AVR.

So at worst you may need an external power amp. At best all you need is wire and remote speakers.

How you distribute audio through your apartment is another set of choices. Wireless can work, or it can be as it is in my house, less than perfectly reliable.

IME very little beats solid copper wire when it comes to sound quality or reliability. But installing it is another story as you already know! ;-)

Apple Airport has been mentioned, and other approaches are sold by a company called Sonos, and their competitors.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Although it would probably be easier in the short term to use an Apple Express itll mean I miss the chance to future proof the rooms. I also dont want to have cables showing.

This seems pretty helpful. http://www.htd.com/s.nl/sc.44/catego....KB/KB.2987/.f although specific to their brand.

Im going to be running cat5 to all the rooms for internet access anyway so its not too much hassle to run audio cables as well. Ill install ceiling speakers in the new build areas.

Is there a thread on here where people show their home set ups?

Again sorry for the noobieness and thanks for the help.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
...I miss the chance to future proof the rooms....be running cat5 to all the rooms for internet access....
Cat5 is not future proofing and is over a decade old. Cat7 is the current standard and Cat8 (1Gps) is in draft now (will probably be out before the end of the year).

I ran Cat5 to all my rooms in my house when it was built. I no longer use it and have gone WiFi (even my HT). With 802.11ac I can stream BD rips without ever missing a beat. Also WiFi 802.11ad is about to go into draft and will offer over Gbps speed.

The future is moving more wireless. There is even a new wireless, WiSA system for 7.1 24/96 speakers systems.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a similar question regarding a second zone. I'm in a new-build home that has two separate AV closets, A & B, at opposite sides of the ground floor. Two rooms are sound pre-wired to wall plates in A and two (on the far side of the plan) are wired to wall plates in B. Unfortunately the contractor, while providing (4) RG6 cables between the two rooms, did not include a conduit linking them for future use.

Both rooms are linked (via the home's central switch) by gigabit ethernet.

AV closet A will serve as the primary location for equipment; my question is how I might send audio (video optional) to a second amplifier located in AV closet B for the purpose of allowing single source for whole-house audio. I'm not finding much in the way of receivers that seem to advertise the ability to send/receive audio via an ethernet link. I'd prefer to avoid added hardware like Airport, Sonos, etc, staying within the AV equipment hardware itself if possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

I thought you said your dog does not bite....
-That's not my dog.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-27-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I didnt get any notifications of these replies so sorry for the slow reply.

I know cat5 isnt the future but having the conduit installed and some cable run means that when I want to change anything I can easily. I also know that soon (and I cant wait) everything will be wireless. I use apple tv a lot now and to be honest its not amazing. I would also like to not be a complete slave to Apple Inc. Id like top hardwire the speakers in and like ArnyK mentions and use an AVR. The AVR will take care of my tv needs as well as the sound in the front room, its just getting different audio out to the other room.

Do you guys know any good products that have the multi zone ability? How to the pro set these systems up?

Thanks again for the help.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddjd View Post
Hello,
I have a similar question regarding a second zone. I'm in a new-build home that has two separate AV closets, A & B, at opposite sides of the ground floor. Two rooms are sound pre-wired to wall plates in A and two (on the far side of the plan) are wired to wall plates in B. Unfortunately the contractor, while providing (4) RG6 cables between the two rooms, did not include a conduit linking them for future use.

Both rooms are linked (via the home's central switch) by gigabit ethernet.

AV closet A will serve as the primary location for equipment; my question is how I might send audio (video optional) to a second amplifier located in AV closet B for the purpose of allowing single source for whole-house audio. I'm not finding much in the way of receivers that seem to advertise the ability to send/receive audio via an ethernet link. I'd prefer to avoid added hardware like Airport, Sonos, etc, staying within the AV equipment hardware itself if possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
If you have an Ethernet cable between them, you can send audio with an audio baluns at each end. Keep in mind that this is assuming you can dedicate an Ethernet cable for this purpose.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Hi, I didnt get any notifications of these replies so sorry for the slow reply.

I know cat5 isnt the future but having the conduit installed and some cable run means that when I want to change anything I can easily. I also know that soon (and I cant wait) everything will be wireless. I use apple tv a lot now and to be honest its not amazing. I would also like to not be a complete slave to Apple Inc. Id like top hardwire the speakers in and like ArnyK mentions and use an AVR. The AVR will take care of my tv needs as well as the sound in the front room, its just getting different audio out to the other room.

Do you guys know any good products that have the multi zone ability? How to the pro set these systems up?

Thanks again for the help.
I'm with you and Arny on this one. If you have the walls open, run the wiring.

As for AVR's, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, etc all have multi-zone capabilities.

The pros tend to leave the AVR dedicated for home theatre use and install a separate whole house system. Russound, Nuvo, HTD, are just some of them. They allow more sophisticated distribution and room by room control.

There's a distributed audio sub forum in AVS where you can find some great info and advice.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I used to run cat5 on the London Underground
Am I the only one surprised that the London Underground has Cat5? Maybe they should use that for some wireless repeaters... as an American in London, I rely heavily on google maps when I visit. No cell reception and no wifi available has resulted in more than one missed stop for me

Sorry to derail (pun intended)... best of luck with your new media adventure!
Camboselecta likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I am working on a similar endeavor, attempting to play hi res-lossless, and lossy (iTunes) in both my theater room and living room. I have an older Yamaha RX-V663 for a receiver in my theater room, and am.not sure if it has zone two capabilities. I am using it as a pre/pro with outboard amplifiers. I will probably build ah HTPC, but, I am unsure how to get the audio into the second zone without having to run a cable. I just need to figure out how to stream the hi res lossless files, both hardware & software.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sonos!
Camboselecta likes this.

Eating humble pie....
post #13 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
I am working on a similar endeavor, attempting to play hi res-lossless, and lossy (iTunes) in both my theater room and living room. I have an older Yamaha RX-V663 for a receiver in my theater room, and am.not sure if it has zone two capabilities. I am using it as a pre/pro with outboard amplifiers. I will probably build ah HTPC, but, I am unsure how to get the audio into the second zone without having to run a cable. I just need to figure out how to stream the hi res lossless files, both hardware & software.
If you are trying to stream hi res, look into NuVo Wireless. Unless things have changed, Sonos only streams 16/44.
Camboselecta likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Getting some great info here guys! Pretty much settled on a Denon AVR-E400. Its got airplay and all that good connectivity stuff. Ill run some conduit in the floor and walls during the build so Ill have all the wires tucked away and easy to re-pull if needed at a later date. Ill use those same runs to put some nice data cable around the place as well.

I just found this Denon AVRX1000 but its surly too good to be true?

One more question, do you think the Denon E400 will be powerful enough to run say for 4 ceiling mounted speakers in zone 2 and the 5.1 in zone 1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
audio , data , home , noob , stream

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page