layout for a large concrete studio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
layout for a large concrete studio

Hopefully, this is the right spot for "room design" type posts. I've got a studio space (as in art, not as in sound) that is both fortunately and unfortunately a high-ceilinged concrete box. Roughly 44' L x 22' W x 18' H, with a 14' deep mezzanine. (See pictures.)

Currently, I've got two large-ish cerwin vega 3-way speakers about 12' off the ground on a ledge in front of the main windows (see second photo), and a woefully underpowered Denon receiver.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_lib...n/dra-35.shtml
http://www.popsynth.com/cerwins.htm

The sound is pretty terrible. If I EQ the heck out of it, I can get a fairly well defined high-mid range - meaning that vocals are discernible and things don't sound muted, though it is sort of an echoey "big hall" sound that's tiring to listen to after only a couple minutes. But unless you're standing right underneath them, the bass is noticeably "thin", and cranking the volume results in a muddy mess.

I realize that this is to be expected, given the makeup of the room. But given the stipulation that I can't blanket the place in foam / shag carpeting, or rebuild it so it's oblong or whatever, does anyone have tips for how to get a cleaner, more balanced sound? Can I mitigate the drawbacks of the space through speaker selection and placement - maybe by clever location of some subs, and getting coverage for the rest of the range with more numerous, smaller speakers instead of hammering the sound through the space from two big ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	178346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1684.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	178354  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Headphones?

post #3 of 3 Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 293
MartinLogan Electrostats or other line source speakers

http://www.martinlogan.com/product-list.php

They'll fire down the room with limited horizontal dispersion (less sidewall bounce), they're a line source so the sound level will fall off at -3db at a doulbling of distance vs -6db per doubling for a pointy source, they'll take advantage of the reflective wall (glass) behind the speakers, they won't fire upwards to excite the ceiling, and they look neat too, good for an arty studio environment.

Another interesting property of the electrostat - you can put your ear right up to it when it is playing at high volume - and it isn't "loud" - the sound output is spread over the area of the panel, so there is no "hot spot" like a midrange or tweeter to make you spill your cocktail if you happen to be standing too close to it while pondering the lastest Thomas Kincade.

Electrostats may be a little more directional than cone-type line source speakers.

Unless you want to blast everyone out of your exhibitions, then CerwinVega is (was?) the way to go!

Line vs Point

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
and
>

Last edited by RayDunzl; 07-25-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page