New Apartment setup. Need AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New Apartment setup. Need AVR?

Hello all. I am trying to set up the Vizio S5451w-C2, Samsung H7150, PS4 and XBOX One. I will pass my cable through my XBOX. I want to maintain 5.1 with all devices. Is there a way to do this without a AVR? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
As far as I know, the Sony PS4 and Xbox One both use HDMI outputs - these carry the video and the sound. Connect both systems via HDMI cables to TV HDMI inputs (you have 4 inputs) and use the TV's remote control to select which HDMI input you are viewing / listening to. Then connect the TV's "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" to the soundbar using a Toslink optical cable.

Or you could use an HDMI switcher to select which HDMI output is active to a single HDMI input on the TV and you wouldn't need to select which HDMI input you are using via the TV remote. Many of these have automatic selection if only one HDMI device is turned on so that you wouldn't need to manually switch the input. Something like this:

Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p - $30

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 7 Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
As far as I know, the Sony PS4 and Xbox One both use HDMI outputs - these carry the video and the sound. Connect both systems via HDMI cables to TV HDMI inputs (you have 4 inputs) and use the TV's remote control to select which HDMI input you are viewing / listening to. Then connect the TV's "Digital Audio Out (Optical)" to the soundbar using a Toslink optical cable.

Or you could use an HDMI switcher to select which HDMI output is active to a single HDMI input on the TV and you wouldn't need to select which HDMI input you are using via the TV remote. Many of these have automatic selection if only one HDMI device is turned on so that you wouldn't need to manually switch the input. Something like this:

Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p - $30
TY MTN Tech. Using the first method. Will the TV be able to take 5.1 from the external sources and output it through the Toslink?

Last edited by WuTangWindu; 07-29-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTangWindu View Post
TY MTN Tech. Using the first method. Will the TV be able to take 5.1 from the external sources and output it through the Toslink?
That may depend on your TV, but in general "Yes". One limitation is that the multi-channel digital audio carried via S/PDIF Coax cable or Toslink Optical cable is limited to lossy compressed formats (like Dolby Digital or standard DTS) so there may be some loss in quality from the original if it is a lossless format (like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD) - which you probably won't notice using your soundbar.

Check out this short article - it might explain it a little differently which could help you:
CNet Article: HDMI vs. optical: Which digital-audio connection to use?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help. I am just going to have to mess around and tinker a bit.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TV should do it. XBone had some audio issues for 5.1 when launched. I'm not sure how it is now.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2014, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to use the TV as the hub but from what I read, the TV will not pass DD5.1 from the external to the sound bar. I have been researching this and it seems like the best way to go about this is to connect all my external devices straight to the sound bar using HDMI. Then connect the sound bar to the TV using HDMI(ARC). This will require and HDMI switcher to connect both the PS4 AND Xbox One to the non HDMI(ARC) port of the sound bar. Once I actually give this a try I will let you all know how it goes.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat
Gear in this thread - H7150, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page