147Likes

post #391 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
So, how did he get a PhD without a master?
He probably didn't, but typically you get a masters and a PhD from the same school, so you might only list the latter.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
I still don't see a S.B degree.
B.S. ...Bach of Science. [S.B. is in Latin]
post #393 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Thread Buzz Kill
If every single comment and thread had to be scientifically based and proven, AVS could store all the forums on a thumb drive.
Don't knock thumb drives. ;-)

http://blog.laptopmag.com/kingston-a...-0-thumb-drive

"The 512 GB version is available now for a whopping $800, and the pricing for the 1TB version has yet to be announced."

There are several posters around here who I expect upwards 90%+ of their posts are scientifically based and can be proven, and they have over 10,000 posts each.
post #394 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Could be. So, how did he get a PhD without a master?
Happens all the time in the US.

I have two kids with PhDs in Cancer Research and neither ever obained a MS.
post #395 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
It's getting to the point where many of these threads have two distinct camps - - members who would like to learn more about a specific technology or purported "benefit" and the "Scientific Camp" that is hell bent on disproving the thread "premise" with tons of scientific information, tests, and a superior "you don't know" attitude and unless you have 100% scientific proof, you (the poster) are not qualified to make any statement or observation.

Could we please not have any more straw-man versions of science here? Science is not "bent on disproving" anything, science is about inquiry.

So just stop with this anti-science propaganda, ok?

James D. (jj) Johnston
post #396 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
S.B. = B.S. Dr. Moorer had two of those from M.I.T. B 4 Stanford PhD probably safe to say dude was pretty smart ,see below .
So was he wealthy or had a lot of student load debt ? how come he isn't on AVS forum keeping us straight and all ☺☺

just kidding found this same same rap sheet on him ,

....................ask him

Could be he had an Honors degree and went on to get his PhD that way e.g,
Actually, the link explaining those backwards named degrees didn't list an S.B., hence my comment about that.

Wonder how deep computer science gets into electrical engineering and specifically audio and psychoacoustics.
A family member went straight through the EE program and got both MS and BS at the end of the course. So, I would think a masters for Moorer should have been there someplace and awarded.
post #397 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
B.S. ...Bach of Science. [S.B. is in Latin]
Thanks. Wasn't listed in the link provided.
http://www.harvard.edu/degree-abbreviations
post #398 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post
He probably didn't, but typically you get a masters and a PhD from the same school, so you might only list the latter.
Yes, but then why even bother with the two BS degrees; just list the PhD.
post #399 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Actually, the link explaining those backwards named degrees didn't list an S.B., hence my comment about that.

Wonder how deep computer science gets into electrical engineering and specifically audio and psychoacoustics.
A family member went straight through the EE program and got both MS and BS at the end of the course. So, I would think a masters for Moorer should have been there someplace and awarded.
TBH didn't look at it that much whats for dinner tonite is much more important to me than a geriatric PhD's academic resume even though he was no doubt very accomplished .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-13-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #400 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Thanks. Wasn't listed in the link provided.
http://www.harvard.edu/degree-abbreviations

I'll be back later...

1.5RQ > digits > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #401 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Oh, my bad. It is in the body of that page not below with the list of abbreviations where I looked.
post #402 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's ok, I get my share of Corrective Guidance here too from time to time.

I'll be back later...

1.5RQ > digits > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #403 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Actually, I think a lot of audiophiles have degrees in BS, short for "BS artiste".

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #404 of 457 Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I guess most people here don't have a diploma in Latin, like I do.

I am a skeptic like most here when it comes to most audiophile claims. I have read and agreed with the double blind
tests results. But I have DVD-audio, SACDs and Blu-ray audio discs and enjoy the perceived improvement.

If differences in frequency or the standard measures of distortion are not the reason for these impressions, what is?

Time smearing?

Here's a more up to date advocate: Psychophysics, auditory neurophysiology, and high-fidelity audio
http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/Acoustics-papers.htm

Specifications such as frequency response and certain common distortions provide an inadequate indication of the sound quality, whereas accuracy in the time domain is known to significantly influence audio transparency. While the upper frequency cutoff of human hearing is around 18 kHz (or even lower in older individuals) a much higher bandwidth and temporal resolution can influence the perception of sound. Non-linearities and temporal complexities in the auditory system negate the simple f ~ 1/t reciprocal relationship between frequency and time. In our group's research -- which lies at the intersection of psychophysics, human hearing, and high-end audio -- we measure the limits of human hearing and relate them to the neurophysiology of the auditory system. These experiments also help to define the criteria for perfect fidelity in a sound-reproduction system. Our recent behavioral studies on human subjects proved that humans can discern timing alterations on a 5 microsecond time scale, indicating that that digital sampling rates used in common consumer audio (such as CD) are insufficient for fully preserving transparency.

I'm not up to date on all the past discussions, so I hope this isn't redundant or universally debunked.
amirm likes this.
post #405 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrsc View Post
Quote:
Our recent behavioral studies on human subjects proved that humans can discern timing alterations on a 5 microsecond time scale, indicating that that digital sampling rates used in common consumer audio (such as CD) are insufficient for fully preserving transparency.
I'm not up to date on all the past discussions, so I hope this isn't redundant or universally debunked.
It has been debunked I'm afraid.
According to J.D. (jj) Johnston, who follows this thread and knows a lot about digital audio and human hearing:

Quote:
The time resolution of a PROPERLY reconstructed PCM signal (note, if you take away the antiimaging filter the time resolution GETS WORSE!!) is approximately
1/ (2 pi fs nlevels)
for 16/44.1 that is 1/( 2 pi 44100 65536) = 55 ps
for 24/44.1 that is 1/( 2 pi 44100 16777216) = 0.22 ps
for 24/96 that is 1/( 2 pi 96000 16777216) = 0.1 ps

While time resolution does increase with sample rate, 16/44.1 looks, at least in theory, more than enough for human hearing.
David Griesinger (another audio scientist) states similarly:
Quote:
In Physics, the accuracy of timing is not determined by the bandwidth, but roughly by the product of the bandwidth and the signal to noise ratio.
(Audio systems have low bandwidth but very high signal to noise ratio)
krabapple and tubetwister like this.

Last edited by Kees de Visser; 08-14-2014 at 06:44 AM.
post #406 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I am a skeptic like most here when it comes to most audiophile claims. I have read and agreed with the double blind
tests results. But I have DVD-audio, SACDs and Blu-ray audio discs and enjoy the perceived improvement.

If differences in frequency or the standard measures of distortion are not the reason for these impressions, what is?

Time smearing?

Here's a more up to date advocate: Psychophysics, auditory neurophysiology, and high-fidelity audio

Specifications such as frequency response and certain common distortions provide an inadequate indication of the sound quality, whereas accuracy in the time domain is known to significantly influence audio transparency. While the upper frequency cutoff of human hearing is around 18 kHz (or even lower in older individuals) a much higher bandwidth and temporal resolution can influence the perception of sound. Non-linearities and temporal complexities in the auditory system negate the simple f ~ 1/t reciprocal relationship between frequency and time. In our group's research -- which lies at the intersection of psychophysics, human hearing, and high-end audio -- we measure the limits of human hearing and relate them to the neurophysiology of the auditory system. These experiments also help to define the criteria for perfect fidelity in a sound-reproduction system. Our recent behavioral studies on human subjects proved that humans can discern timing alterations on a 5 microsecond time scale, indicating that that digital sampling rates used in common consumer audio (such as CD) are insufficient for fully preserving transparency.

Not up to date, errr more like speculative.

Kunchur's misapprehensions about the time domain resolution of Red Book digital audio is a big tip-off to those who are knowledgeable. His gross mistakes don't end there.
tubetwister likes this.
post #407 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Even without getting into the nitty gritty of his test and its problems it's pretty evident from the way he chose to construct the wording of his abstract that he both seems to jump to conclusions, at least on occasion, and has a clear agenda:

"Misalignment in timing between drivers in a speaker system and temporal smearing of signals in components and cables has long been alleged to cause degradation of fidelity in audio reproduction. It has also been noted that listeners prefer higher sampling rates (e.g., 96 kHz) than the 44.1 kHz of the digital compact disk, even though the 22 kHz Nyquist frequency of the latter already exceeds the nominal single-tone high-frequency hearing limit of about 18 kHz (i.e., an angular frequency limit of 113,000 rad/s). These qualitative and anecdotal observations point to the possibility that human hearing may be sensitive to temporal errors, that are shorter than the reciprocal of the limiting angular frequency (about 9 microseconds), thus necessitating bandwidths in audio equipment that are much higher than hearing limit frequency in order to preserve fidelity. The blind trials of the present work provide quantitative proof of this by assessing the discernability of time misalignment between signals from spatially displaced speakers. The experiment found a displacement threshold of about 2 mm corresponding to a delay discrimination of about 6 microseconds."

Notice his rather imaginative use of the word "noted" in the second sentence without feeling any need for a backing study citation or reference following it. Gee, I wonder why?

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-14-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #408 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:

Time smearing?

How can this be?
The man has a doctorates just like Miles Aster does. He's published in peer reviewed journals. Then there's even this.

Served on the "High Resolution Audio" panel at the 128th Audio Engineering Convention, May 22-25, 2010, London, U.K. (http://www.aes.org/events/128/calendar/calendar.cfm, W6)..

The AES I say. The AES!

Look at some of accomplishments.
http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/

Two digit, three digit, why his IQ must be off the charts.
andyc56 likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #409 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
How can this be?
The man has a doctorates just like Miles Aster does.
That's Myles B. Astor, not to be confused with Myles A. Astor or Myles C. Astor.
post #410 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
But he's a physicist, Andy, and Amir liked the post. Flying Spaghetti Monster, if only I had an IQ!
krabapple likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #411 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
But he's a physicist, Andy, and Amir liked the post. Flying Spaghetti Monster, if only I had an IQ!
Hehe. But in all seriousness, there's some good discussion of the Kunchur paper in this HA thread.
post #412 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Flying Spaghetti Monster, if only I had an IQ!
He'll get you yet my pretty! And..... your little IQ!
post #413 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post

for 16/44.1 that is 1/( 2 pi 44100 65536) = 55 ps
Even if that 5 microsec was good, this is well below that for sure.
post #414 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Kunchur's misapprehensions about the time domain resolution of Red Book digital audio is a big tip-off to those who are knowledgeable. His gross mistakes don't end there.
Please, feel free to inform us where it ends. I am really curious now.
post #415 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How can this be?
The man has a doctorates just like Miles Aster does. He's published in peer reviewed journals. Then there's even this.

Served on the "High Resolution Audio" panel at the 128th Audio Engineering Convention, May 22-25, 2010, London, U.K. (http://www.aes.org/events/128/calendar/calendar.cfm, W6)..

The AES I say. The AES!

Look at some of accomplishments.
http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/

Two digit, three digit, why his IQ must be off the charts.
Well, he does list all three degrees in physics, and is:
• Professor of Physics and Astronomy, University of South Carolina (Aug. 2005—present).

Perhaps one should know their limits?
post #416 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember what I was saying in one of these threads about psychoacoustics not being a part of electrical engineering? I'm pretty sure it isn't taught in astrophysics school either. Here's their entire one sentence curriculum on the topic: "There's no air in outer space, hence no sound... The end."

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #417 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, he does list all three degrees in physics, and is:
• Professor of Physics and Astronomy, University of South Carolina (Aug. 2005—present).

Perhaps one should know their limits?
Lots of a academic audiophools be talking BS nonsense just to be heard or just to get paid some of those fools think they know everything too ! This place be full of them bro

B.S. = one Pinocchio

M.S = two Pinocchio

PhD = Jackpot three Pinocchio ...................often results in a grandiose sense of entitlement and self importance when they get one of these they think everyone is supposed to believe everything they say or write nonsense or otherwise *** !

☺☺☺☺*** often to get paid ***☺☺☺☺

PS , above are common to all fields of science ,disciplines or academia that's why they call doctors quacks and lawyers shy locks bro !☺☺☺☺

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-14-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #418 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

What are your qualifications, tubetwister?

I'll be back later...

post #419 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56 View Post
Hehe. But in all seriousness, there's some good discussion of the Kunchur paper in this HA thread.
Funny to read that post from Arny back in 2009:

As you seem to be saying, there's a lot of interesting twists along the way, but getting back to basics is very often a good thing.

Setting up a proper listening test that shows that high sample rates do make a difference with music is simpler and less costly than ever.

There is now a ton of high sample rate audio kicking around for free or not much money. Actually setting up the experiment can be accomplished with not only reasonably-priced buyware, but even with freeware.

There seems to be only one minor thing lacking - a pair of ears that produce results that are positive for high sample rates.

Whenever we see a paper like Kunchur's, we need to get back to basics. The basics are that just about anybody who wants to can set up a reliable listening test involving readily-available musical program material that has the potential to produce a positive outcome. Nobody seems to be able to do it. Instead, all we get are these abstract tests like Kunchur's, involving some most definately non-musical waveforms with questionable relevance and inconclusive results.

Of course those pairs of ears did materialize on Arny's own test material no less:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/09 06:32:02

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling band resolution limited 4416 2496.wav
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Arnys Filter Test\keys jangling full band 2496.wav

06:32:02 : Test started.
06:33:07 : 01/01 50.0%
06:33:17 : 02/02 25.0%
06:33:24 : 03/03 12.5%
06:33:36 : 04/04 6.3%
06:33:47 : 05/05 3.1%
06:33:58 : 06/06 1.6%
06:34:12 : 07/07 0.8%
06:34:15 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 7/7 (0.8%)
Then this due follows Arny's post with this:

I agree. Not a single positive result in a decade is simple but mortgageable evidence.

Let's hope he didn't bank on that in reality lest he would be in danger of losing his house .

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #420 of 457 Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
What are your qualifications, tubetwister?

One Pinocchio ,(not engineering or science ) ,a warped sense of humor and brains ................ I'm a natural bro

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-14-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page