AVS Forum banner

'Eastech' speaker drivers?

12K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  FMW 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum, so please excuse any mistakes.
I have just been wondering what 'Eastech' is all about. I just took apart my Sony SS-CEP50 which I picked up today for £2, a decent sound for the size. Then I looked at the magnet, and it said Eastech. Surprising, because all of the other Sony speakers that I've had have Sony drivers. I know a few major brands use them, like Philips for example, I saw a youtube video of the disassembly of a Philips Subwoofer and it was a 300w Eastech. So I was just wondering if anyone has any information on them at all. Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the internals of the speakers on the Philips DTM3170 or the DCM3020. I have a big interest in this model, and I have a DTM3170, but don't wanna take it apart incase I break it, as I have quite a heavy hand. =P
And do Philips make their own speakers in their modern stereos? I know in some of the vintage ones they do, but how about nowadays? And you know those generic speakers, most people have had them, that some with little systems like the Wharfedale NE-3272 and the Technika MC-104. They say 'Speaker System' on the label. If anyone know anything about any of this, I would love to know. I can't get enough of speakers. Also, in the DTM3170/DCM3020, Philips claim to have 'specially designed' woofers that are designed for the wOOx passive radiator. Are they any different to regular speakers? Sorry for this really long post and I apologise if I posted in the wrong section. Thanks! =D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yea, I would post this in the AVS>Audio>Speakers forum - you would probably get more info.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! Yeah, I know it's cheaper, but I think it's quite bad how they just chuck together thin MDF, slap some generic drivers in there and put their brand name on. But nowadays most speakers have a glued plastic front that has to be prised away with a flat head screwdriver, usually scratching and bending the edges (Like on the sony one I took apart =P)

#8 ·
Even more expensive speaker builders often outsource for the drivers.

The Wilson Audio Specialties Alexandra XLF is ambitiously priced around $200,000/pair. The bass drive-units, though, are 13" and 15" woofers made by Focal.

I have a pair of Martin Logan requests:

The ReQuest 12" woofer is ML part number D12Q2M5 built to their specifications by Eminence internal part number 121506A It's a 12-inch 4-ohm speaker with a 2.5-inch voice coil and a 67 oz. ceramic magnet with a 250 watt power rating.

They do make their own electrostatic panels, though.

#9 ·
Yeah, but they're still good drivers. Brands like that make their drivers with care, unlike the generic cheap ones. Can I just say though, I know most people on here have awesome speakers like B&W and Klipsch, but I don't. I have some speakers that sound very good to me, but wouldn't stand a chance against the really good ones. The only Klipsch products that I've ever used are the Promedia 2.1, and I didn't like them that much because the subwoofer was very boomy and not tight and punchy. I think the best speakers that I have are my Corsair SP2500. I also have some old Sony Carbocon SS-5050s, which are good but they have very little midrange, so I replaced the middle tweeter with a midrange speaker, they sound much better now.

#10 ·
You can count the number of speaker system manufacturers that manufacture drivers on your fingers. With the exception of B&W, JBL and a few others, none of them do. And certainly none of the high end speaker manufacturers do. They don't have nearly enough unit volume to make such a venture profitable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.