Confusing 5.1 problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Confusing 5.1 problems

Hello! I am new, but I hope you all can provide some advice.
So I have a HTS-Gs1, the xbox pioneer stereo system. Connected to a modern LG plasma smart TV.
My problem is my xbox one is the only device that will pass through something more then the standard. 2.0 audio stream. I can get it to pass through true Dolby and DTS. But my Tivo, ps3, ps4, Apple TV and Xbox 360 though all set correctly. Will only send stereo audio. The xbox one can be used with any cable, into any port using any setting and all will be well.

I have it set up that each device is connected through HDMI to the TV and the TV is connected through optical to the receiver. Meaning, the input choice on the TV decides which audio will come through the receivers speakers. If I do by pass it and take my one optical cable right to the device. The 5.1 audio will push through. It seems passing through the TV only works for the xbox one itself.

I wish I knew why. It seems like if I can't find a fix, I will have to buy one of those receivers that have a good few HDMI ports on the back. or maybe I can just use a few optical splitters. But that seems kinda tacky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Most TVs only pass through stereo from HDMI connections. They aren't designed to be audio processors.

It looks like the HTS GS1 has two digital audio inputs, one coax and one optical, in addition to the Xbox input. So, you could use those inputs from other devices - HDMI to the TV for video and digital audio to the sound system for audio.

Last edited by BIslander; 08-03-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Most TVs can only output stereo audio from
The optical output. Everything gets down mixed
To 2.0.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Most TVs only pass through stereo from HDMI connections. They aren't designed to be audio processors.
LOL... Beat me to it by 2 minutes.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alright, I did not know that. I wonder why my xbox one has no problems. 5.1 audio is passing through. Is something special about the xbox one?

It does have two optical in, one just for the xbox, though I don't think it matters. and it does have a coaxel. But nothing I own outputs to coax. I just have more devices then I do inputs.

I have been looking at the YHT-4910UBL. It seems though for the most part if I want anything fancy it has to be ordered. No store stocks anything past simple sound bars and blueray speaker sets.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 130
If your TV passes through DD 5.1 from the Xbox, it should also do so from other devices. But, it is possible the Xbox negotiates a different connection with the set than other devices. You can get an optical to coax converter. They don't cost much. But, if you want complete audio processing for all your devices, you'll probably need to get a fully functional receiver.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Although what BIsander said is generally true, I was surprised to discover, not too long ago, that more and more TVs these days are passing more than just stereo digitally. Let's hope it is a trend: http://www.cnet.com/news/20-tvs-test...o-a-sound-bar/

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 08-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page