Newbie Question on setting something up - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie Question on setting something up

Dear All:

I would appreciate any advice on the following:

I have an Onkyo TX-SR504. In the main room, I am going to hook up a 5.1 set up speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1 or Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS5.1B 5.1 Speaker System). I would like to take my current speakers to the kitchen and tie them in.

I already have a set of “B” speakers in use elsewhere (patio).

I would use the kitchen speakers to listen to music so that the same music is available in the main room and the Kitchen as one walks around. I think I can do this by setting up the Kitchen speakers as the Back Surround speakers and using the “All Channel Stereo” mode. That is my first question: Am I correct that I could listen to music on the 5.1 speakers in the main room and have the same sound on the other kitchen speakers using the All Channel Stereo mode assuming these speakers are set up as the back surround speakers?

Here is the other function and other question: What about when I am watching a movie or want to otherwise use surround sound in the main room? Is there a mode on the receiver that would use only the 5.1 speakers in the main room? I.e., switch to a 5.1 setup versus a 7.1 setup? I think I could do this with the speaker setup sequence on the front of the receiver, but that would be a lot of work to disable and enable speakers when I am changing from one source to another. As an alternative, it would not be terrible if movie sound were spilled into the kitchen and I could just leave those speakers functioning, but (Question 2), would I lose some sound from the movie or whatever into the kitchen? Some important sound?

I do not have expert ears and I do not need the perfect setup, just a workable one. What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Your AVR supports this directly - just hook up your 7.1 in your main room to the 7.1 outputs and your two channel speakers in your other room to the "Front Speakers B" outputs and turn on "Speaker B" - your AVR will automatically drop down to 5.1 in your main room and send sound to your "B Speakers" - check page 6 of your owners manual.

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/...04_En_Web_.pdf

From you owners manual:

"You can use two sets of speakers with the AV receiver: speaker set A and speaker set B. Speaker set A should be used in your main listening room for up to 7.1-channel playback. *While speaker set B is on, speaker set A is reduced to 5.1-channel playback.
Speaker set B can be used in another room and offers 2-channel stereo playback.
*Only analog input sources are output by speaker set B."

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'm not sure I understand - I get that you want same source stereo sound in the kitchen as the main listening room, but are you already using the "B Speaker" outputs for the patio? Do you want the same selected source on the patio and in the kitchen?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response, but it is a little more

complicated.

I should have explained about the B speakers. The B speakers will only output from an analog input. So, if I am streaming Pandora via my DirectTV box, which has a digital input to the receiver, it will not go to the B speakers. I have a run out to my patio from the B speaker output, but the only thing it will play is input from my CD (I have an analog input from my CD player to the receiver).

Soooooo, I cannot use the B speaker to play anything digital. That is why I want to hook the kitchen into the 7.1 system. That way O can play in the Kitchen anything that is playing in the main room (albeit in stereo only). Hope that helps to clarify.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Your AVR supports this directly - just hook up your 7.1 in your main room to the 7.1 outputs and your two channel speakers in your other room to the "Front Speakers B" outputs and turn on "Speaker B" - your AVR will automatically drop down to 5.1 in your main room and send sound to your "B Speakers" - check page 6 of your owners manual.

From you owners manual:

"You can use two sets of speakers with the AV receiver: speaker set A and speaker set B. Speaker set A should be used in your main listening room for up to 7.1-channel playback. *While speaker set B is on, speaker set A is reduced to 5.1-channel playback.
Thanks. I saw that already. But The B speakers will only play from an analog input. I explained this more fully in a reply below. So, if I am listening to a digital music source in the main room, I cannot hear it on the B speakers. What i am looking for is a multi-room setup that avoids the B speakers.

Really appreciate how quickly you guys responded.

Any other thoughts????
post #6 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post

From you owners manual:

Thanks again. After thinking about your post, I think that would work, although in a kludgy kind of way.

I hook up the Kitchen speakers to the Back Surround channel. Main room to the other Surrounds.

(1) If I want to listen to music everywhere, I select All Channel Stereo and turn on A and B speakers and use an analog source.

(2) to listen to music in the main room and the kitchen from either digital or analog, I put on the A speakers only and select All Channel Stereo.

(3) If I want to watch a movie in surround using ONLY the main room, I (and here is the ironic kludge) TURNON the B speakers. The B speakers (Patio) produce nothing as the signal is digital. The system reverts to a 5.1 setup, thus disabling the Kitchen speakers. I get surriound at 5.1 in the main room only.

Correct? And thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page