1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skytrooper

post #1 of 14 Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Cable Cooker

I just recently learned of this creation.

Since I can't afford one, I went a different route. I took all my cables off and gave them to the wife. They are now in the oven at 350 degrees. She won't tell me how she is seasoning them. Secret. Will report back when they're done.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I hope you have something else than http://www.whathifi.com/qed/revelation/review - these have long running-in time

Hint: many other great "reviews" on that site.

Silent
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3-way
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-07-2014, 05:40 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
I thought "cryo" is the more popular buzzword these days. Perhaps what is needed is cable freezer.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
it really depends on they style of music. some does much better with a cold one, others when baked

Last edited by noisebeam; 08-08-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 79
In addition to cryo vs baking, don't forget orientation! I find that for jazz and vocalist music, if I run my cables in a north-south orientation, it really opens up the soundstage and adds a presence that is lacking in an east-west orientation. But for rock or pop, east-west is best. The bass is punchier and the highs crisper. (Disregard all of these on the vernal equinox...you'll need to reverse them for a day.)

</sarcasm>

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Dare I poke my head in here just a little?

Please don't chop it off.

I am not about to make a claim as to any betterments, just a claim of a measured electrical difference, post Cryo. treatment.

Simply stated, I was present during a test which included lengths of cable that were measured electrically pre and post treatment, and significant shifts occurred in all of the cables.

We didn't sonically audition the cables, it wasn't that type of investigation.

All cables were 5m's in length and single conductors.

I will leave it at that.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garidy View Post
We didn't sonically audition the cables, it wasn't that type of investigation.
Seems like a waste of cryo treatment and lack of investigation for the Audio Enthusiast.

OTOH... if the wires were maintained at a -300 degrees when in use... I agree.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Seems like a waste of cryo treatment and lack of investigation for the Audio Enthusiast.

OTOH... if the wires were maintained at a -300 degrees when in use... I agree.
You would be correct, but I wasn't participating as an audio anything, just another nerd amongst many. It was a think tank gig.

The measurements were made at the same temperature.

I can also tell you that I was dying to have two-length of the wire, so that I could cut them down into 4 smaller pieces at home and plug them into my system. The untreated wire was hanging around on spools, so it would have been easy to cut some off for comparison. No luck for me though - cryo'd wire was off limits for what I had in mind.

Together, we can reduce Gamesmanship and save some Cheese, at the same time!
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

We'll fellow AVS Members, the wife over cooked the cables. She can burn water, but does other things quite well.

I am now looking at cyro treatment when I get new cables. Another great suggestion here was orientation of my cables was east and west and north and south for different types of music. This idea opens up many more options of cable orientation. What about NNW and SSE etc? How would you aim your cables for rap?I now see why some companies put arrows on their cables. Proper aiming. How silly of me of not to of caught on to that earlier!

Another great idea would be to make cables in the Space Shuttle if it was still around. Just think, they could truly make oxygen free copper up there. It may even be cheaper than Monster!
Garidy likes this.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #10 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
What about NNW and SSE etc?

NNW works well for psychedelic music, but never use SSE unless you want a bad trip! And make sure you have NOT compensated for declination on your compass when laying out the cables. You want to be oriented correctly in relationship to the Magnetic North Pole, not the Geographic North Pole. More people have ended up institutionalized over this mistake than I care to mention.

Mike
post #11 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I treat all my cables to neutrino bombardment before and during use. My music sounds great, especially when I'm bombarded, but not with neutrinos.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Cryogenic treatment can cause problems with a lot of dielectrics. Not sure if that relates to the changes mentioned above, but when looking at superconducting devices getting connections to them in the dewar or fridge was a royal pain. And after cryo the cables were destroyed as useless.

Where's J. Neutron when you need him?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #13 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Where's J. Neutron when you need him?
Oh! Now you've done it!
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse
post #14 of 14 Old 08-09-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks M Sargent for pointing out the difference between magnetic and geographic North Pole. Dummy me was using geographic. Now that I corrected that, I have higher highs and lower lows.

Now that you mention it, I think Jimi Hendrix was from the NNW part of the country. So I am assuming if I want to listen to Country Music, should I aim my cables towards Nashville?

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page