Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arnyk

post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Is my iPhone 5 ruining my audio experience?

Your wisdom, please.

I have my iPhone 5 connected to my Luxman R-115 via an Apple branded A/V cable which ends in a 30-pin (I then have a Lightning adapter on that...) I have a pair original Advent speakers.

I also have a Luxman CD player which is connected via coax cables to the receiver. A significant leap in sound compared to the iPhone.

As a budding audiophile, is it a waste to venture into the world of separates (which I think would be fun) if my primary source of play is typically via iPhone. Is the bridge between the iPhone and the receiver the limiting factor? Is bit rate less important? A whole other topic?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbarnard View Post
Your wisdom, please.
I have my iPhone 5 connected to my Luxman R-115 via an Apple branded A/V cable which ends in a 30-pin (I then have a Lightning adapter on that...) I have a pair original Advent speakers.
The iPhone 5 follows up on the earlier iPhones by having good technical performance when playing music, particularly when driving a good amplifier such as your Luxman. As a stand alone device driving headphones directly it isn't the loudest thing in the world, but it is still OK. But it can sing when connected to a good audio system.

Quote:
I also have a Luxman CD player which is connected via coax cables to the receiver. A significant leap in sound compared to the iPhone.
That may be the fault of the music source you are using, such as streaming or low-bitrate MP3 files, but when playing lossless audio files, it compares well with a good separate CD or DVD player.

Quote:
As a budding audiophile, is it a waste to venture into the world of separates (which I think would be fun) if my primary source of play is typically via iPhone. Is the bridge between the iPhone and the receiver the limiting factor? Is bit rate less important? A whole other topic?
Bit rate is very important, the most important of the influences you listed. Your cable is OK, and your receiver is OK. You didn't say what your speakers are, but your speakers and your room may be your next bottleneck after the low bitrate streaming and music files.
pcbarnard likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 154
So what is the ideal way to hookup an iPhone 5s to an existing receiver?

Is an iPhone capable of bit streaming the signal or just PCM? Would a cheap, USB DAC, such as the Behringer UCA-202 be a good addition of the signal chain?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
So what is the ideal way to hookup an iPhone 5s to an existing receiver?

Is an iPhone capable of bit streaming the signal or just PCM? Would a cheap, USB DAC, such as the Behringer UCA-202 be a good addition of the signal chain?
The iPhone's headphone jack provides CD-quality analog signals. It seems to have a bit of a bad rep because its output is limited but with an external amplifier that problem is moot.

The Lightning connector accepts a bunch of external adapters.

The Lightning Digital AV adapter provides HDMI for all-digital audio and video which is generally more preferred, but probably sounds pretty much the same.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...D35df%252B2af5

I'm not sure what the Lightning/USB cable supports, but the HDMI output on the adaptor above seems to cover more bases.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Bit rate is very important, the most important of the influences you listed.
^This.

What is the bit rate of the content you are playing from the iPhone??
post #6 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
^This.

What is the bit rate of the content you are playing from the iPhone??

Can the iPhone 5s, as a source, playback hires music files such as the 24/196 stuff from HDTracks? How can the iPhone 5s be setup to bitstream, or is it not capable of bit streaming?

I would like to try and hook up my iPhone 5s to my Yamaha RX-V663, and try things out!

Question, I have a Behringer UCA-202 that I would like to experiment with as a DAC for my iPhone 5s. How can the 5s and the UCA-202 be connected? I am assuming that my iPhone can be connected via a 3.5mm jack from the mic output on the 5s to USB cable to go between my 5s to my UCA-202 then from the UCA-202 to my receiver via the R+L analog jacks?

Does that seem reasonable?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Can the iPhone 5s, as a source, playback hires music files such as the 24/196 stuff from HDTracks? How can the iPhone 5s be setup to bitstream, or is it not capable of bit streaming?

I would like to try and hook up my iPhone 5s to my Yamaha RX-V663, and try things out!

Question, I have a Behringer UCA-202 that I would like to experiment with as a DAC for my iPhone 5s. How can the 5s and the UCA-202 be connected?
That's a good question. According to Apple It is possible to attach USB gear to the iPhone 5 using their Lightening to USB cable

You can connect your phone directly to one of your AVR's HDMI inputs via their Lightning to USB/HDMI adapter.

Here is an article about some caveats associated with that kind of use:

http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

Quote:
I am assuming that my iPhone can be connected via a 3.5mm jack from the mic output on the 5s
Yes, that's a plain analog connection using the converters in the iPhone which are comparable with those in the UCA 202.

Quote:
SB cable to go between my 5s to my UCA-202 then from the UCA-202 to my receiver via the R+L analog jacks?
You need the Lightning to USB cable for that, and there are possible device and service support issues in the iPhone.

According to their web site the AppleĀ® - Lightning Digital A/V Adapter, and USB cable are available at most BB stores. I suspect that other Apple dealers have them too. There also seem to be some third party compatible devices.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

Question, I have a Behringer UCA-202 that I would like to experiment with as a DAC for my iPhone 5s. How can the 5s and the UCA-202 be connected? I am assuming that my iPhone can be connected via a 3.5mm jack from the mic output on the 5s to USB cable to go between my 5s to my UCA-202 then from the UCA-202 to my receiver via the R+L analog jacks?

Does that seem reasonable?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPhone+5s+hi+res+music+files

You would use either the headphone out or the dock connector on your iPhone to connect to the Behringer's analog inputs, then the R/L analog jacks or S/PDIF to your AVR. However, I don't think it would provide any benefit over connecting the iPhone directly to the AVR.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
bit rate , connection , iphone 5 , separates

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page