Onkyo TX-SR607 not picking up DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD - AVS Forum
Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Onkyo TX-SR607 not picking up DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD
rjgrobinson 08:16 PM 08-10-2014
I picked up a used (but in excellent condition) Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver recently, and just set it up today. I'm running a Samsung BD-F5700 blu-ray player to the receiver via HDMI cable, then another HDMI cable from the receiver out to the tv (Samsung F5300 plasma).

I've been through the Onkyo's manual, set all the inputs, the default listening modes, etc. I've also read the other posts on here about this same issue, but didn't seem to find any real answer to the problem.

When I play a blu-ray with DTS-HD sound, the receiver never seems to select it. I can scroll through the many different listening modes, but never have the option to select DTS-HD. In the settings menu for the receiver, I even have DTS as the default listening mode for the DVD/BD input, yet it's never an option when I actually play the blu-ray. The only mode for surround that it seems to register, and appears on the screen of the receiver, is DVD Dolby Pro Logic IIx. I'm sure this isn't as good as DTS-HD, or even Dolby TrueHD.

The old Onkyo I had would simply select the best sound format from the disc.

Not sure how to get the TX-SR607 to pick up on the format the disc is in, but hoping there's a way.

Thanks for any help!

EyeInSky1970's Avatar EyeInSky1970 06:09 AM 08-11-2014
I have the same exact receiver, and I DO get Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterAudio.

The receiver does have a series of weird setup options you need to go through. Check input selection. You can also toggle between different sound options on the receiver. When you see "DVD Dolby Pro Logic IIx", try to toggle the receiver to Theater or Direct.

I'm not at a position where I can tell you exactly which buttons to press, but I can tell you the TX-SR607 plays uncompressed audio beautifully :-)
rjgrobinson 07:50 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I have the same exact receiver, and I DO get Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterAudio.

The receiver does have a series of weird setup options you need to go through. Check input selection. You can also toggle between different sound options on the receiver. When you see "DVD Dolby Pro Logic IIx", try to toggle the receiver to Theater or Direct.

I'm not at a position where I can tell you exactly which buttons to press, but I can tell you the TX-SR607 plays uncompressed audio beautifully :-)
Thanks for the reply.

When you say try to toggle it to theater or direct, when I see the DVD Dolby Pro Logic IIx, do you mean just pushing the tv/movie sound button on the remote? When I do that, it takes me through a bunch of different listening modes (mono, 5 ch stereo, Neo 6, etc.), but DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD never displays.

In the input selection screen, I can set DTS Master or Dolby TrueHD as default sounds settings for those specific types, but can't get it to actually play those formats.

Does the display actually say DTS or Dolby TrueHD when you are watching a blu-ray, for example?

Also, were there some specific things you had to change to get those sound formats to work? I've read about changing PCM stuff to pass through, etc.

I have no experience with this kind of stuff, and am hesitant to pay for professional setup incase they too can't figure it out, and it's just a loss of money spent.

Thanks again!
EyeInSky1970's Avatar EyeInSky1970 08:41 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgrobinson View Post
Thanks for the reply.

When you say try to toggle it to theater or direct, when I see the DVD Dolby Pro Logic IIx, do you mean just pushing the tv/movie sound button on the remote? When I do that, it takes me through a bunch of different listening modes (mono, 5 ch stereo, Neo 6, etc.), but DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD never displays.

In the input selection screen, I can set DTS Master or Dolby TrueHD as default sounds settings for those specific types, but can't get it to actually play those formats.

Does the display actually say DTS or Dolby TrueHD when you are watching a blu-ray, for example?

Also, were there some specific things you had to change to get those sound formats to work? I've read about changing PCM stuff to pass through, etc.

I have no experience with this kind of stuff, and am hesitant to pay for professional setup incase they too can't figure it out, and it's just a loss of money spent.

Thanks again!
I do have the same receiver, and it DOES display "DTS Master Audio" and "Dolby True HD" on the window :-)

I will try to investigate how I connected this way when I get home from work tonight. But trust me... it does not only convert these audio formats, but it also displays them on the LED window. There is definitely a sound difference with the uncompressed audio tracks. There is more "oomph", dynamic range, and the sound just "pops" more. It's a subtle difference, but I can imagine you have good nuanced hearing and would appreciate the improved quality. Some people can't even tell the difference (lol - as I scratch my head wondering if there is something wrong with their hearing).
rjgrobinson 08:52 AM 08-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I do have the same receiver, and it DOES display "DTS Master Audio" and "Dolby True HD" on the window :-)

I will try to investigate how I connected this way when I get home from work tonight. But trust me... it does not only convert these audio formats, but it also displays them on the LED window. There is definitely a sound difference with the uncompressed audio tracks. There is more "oomph", dynamic range, and the sound just "pops" more. It's a subtle difference, but I can imagine you have good nuanced hearing and would appreciate the improved quality. Some people can't even tell the difference (lol - as I scratch my head wondering if there is something wrong with their hearing).
That's awesome, thanks so much... it gives me hope not to ditch the receiver for something else!

Although I have only a medium level speaker setup (older PSB speakers, and Nuance sub), they still sound great and definitely want to have the best sound format possible as sound is even more important to me than picture!

I picked up a cheap, bottom level blu-ray player (Samsung BD-F5700), so I'm wondering if maybe it's unable to pass through the proper formats to the receiver. Although I probably doubt that's the issue since I would think even a $100 blu-ray player in today's world should be able to do such a thing.

Thanks again for your help... it's very much appreciated!
pcfriedrich 09:47 AM 08-11-2014
I have the exact same receiver, and all I can get it to play BluRays in is PCM Multi-Channel, which after doing some research, is the uncompressed, 7 channel audio and is the best option, and the reason it automatically selects that when watching BluRay through HDMI cables.
Somebody correct me if that information is wrong, but all the info I could find says PCM is the desirable format.

If I play a DVD or watch TV, I can choose DTS or DD...
pcfriedrich 09:50 AM 08-11-2014
I struggled with it forever... "I want to watch it in DTS, what's this PCM crap?!?" Then I looked it up...

Maybe you could set up your bluray player to send only the compressed, DTS or Dolby tracks to your receiver, but I think you would prefer the PCM.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41263
rjgrobinson 10:28 AM 08-11-2014
Very interesting. Thanks for the link to the other forum topic.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 11:15 AM 08-11-2014
Normally, the player configuration determines whether the output is PCM or the encoded track.
rjgrobinson 05:53 AM 08-12-2014
Thanks for the help everyone. As was suggested, I just had to change the blu-ray player to output bitstream. All works great now.
Up
Mobile  Desktop