Uncompressed DolbyTrueHD signal across Digital Coaxial Cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Uncompressed DolbyTrueHD signal across Digital Coaxial Cable

Hello everyone,

From past research, I was under the belief that uncompressed audio formats could only be transferred across HDMI or multichannel PCM (via several RCA cables). Also, that the digital coaxial & fiber optic cables could only transfer compressed 5.1 formats (regular DTS & DolbyDigital for example).

I recently picked up a cheap Sony 3D blu-ray player (just for the purposes of displaying 3D blu-rays) as I typically use an older Oppo player. My Onkyo receiver is from 2009 (model TX-SR607), and unfortunately the "choke" point is the HDMI ports. The ports are only compliant to HDMI 1.3a, and do NOT support 3D (not enough bandwidth). As such, I could not "daisy chain" the HDMI signal from the player > receiver > TV (to get both surround sound and allow the video to pass through). I was able to hook the HDMI to the TV directly (and get 3D picture), but obviously I didn't want to be restricted to just listening out of the TV's speakers.

So I decided to connect audio to the receiver using the Digital Out from the 3D player box via digital coax. I assumed I would only be able to receive compressed DolbyDigital 5.1 or DTS 5.1, but thought given the rare times I would be watching 3D the audio sacrifice wouldn't be too big of a deal. To my surprise, during the presentation of "Finding Nemo 3D", it sounded like I *WAS* getting uncompressed audio! The "dynamic & pop" was definitely there compared to the compressed 5.1 formats. I was shocked at what I was hearing. When the movie was over, I checked to see what the receiver's and blu-ray player's settings were. The Onkyo was set to "Direct". Using the blu-ray player's remote, I next pressed the audio button to toggle through the various audio formats on the disc (mainly to verify if I was truly listening to one of the uncompressed audio tracks). Sure enough - I was definitely listening to audio track #1 : Dolby True HD (and not only that, the Sony player temporarily displayed some kind of bit rate... which I think was around 5.7 give or take).

So what gives???

How in the world was I able to broadcast UNCOMPRESSED Dolby True HD across a $15 digital coaxial cable? I thought I needed HDMI 1.3 for that!

Last edited by EyeInSky1970; 08-11-2014 at 05:29 AM.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
There's about a 99% chance that you were getting the embedded DD5.1 out of the TrueHD track.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 05:43 AM
Member
 
Barnahadnagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hungary
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
As above. TrueHD tracks have a "hidden" AC3 (standard DD) in them to allow backward compatibility. Although the theoretical bandwidth of the coax / SPDIF (modern versions only) would allow a TrueHD / HD MA and even uncompressed multichannel audio, the chipsets can't do it, as it's not in the SPDIF standard.
amirm likes this.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks

Last edited by Barnahadnagy; 08-11-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Barnahadnagy is online now  
post #4 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
As above. TrueHD tracks have a "hidden" AC3 (standard DD) in them to allow backward compatibility. Although the theoretical bandwidth of the coax / SPDIF (modern versions only) would allow a TrueHD / HD MA and even uncompressed multichannel audio, the chipsets can't do it, as it's not in the SPDIF standard.
I wonder if the audio track was DTS M.A. if I would have been able to hear anything from that track. I can do some more tests with other movies. I have Gravity (not sure if it's DTHD or DTSMA). I can also run some key scenes from the movie on my 2D Oppo for comparison. This is my first time viewing Finding Nemo on Blu-Ray (and the first go-around was in 3D obviously). But given my previous experience with other films... I can usually tell a subtle difference if the audio is compressed or the more dynamic (and alive "pop") uncompressed version. And to me, the Finding Nemo audio seemed uncompressed to me - as crazy as that sounds.

On a similar subject, I can vouch for other audio tracks not having much difference between uncompressed vs. compressed. Spileberg's Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds, for example, seem to have no discernible difference in audio quality between the two. Compare that to say... Pixar's UP and/or Brave. Check out the lightning storm scene (from Up) or the first bear attack scene (from Brave), and you will definitely hear a big difference between the compressed and uncompressed versions.

It makes sense that Dolby Digital would want to have backwards compatibility. Many novice users start playing a movie (from blu-ray) and would get frustrated when no sound comes out (because they need to change the audio from default high-end to a lower quality version). For similar reasons, expert users would find it frustrating if the disc defaulted to regular DolbyDigital instead of the higher quality tracks (i.e., Batman Begins, and Batman: The Dark Knight do this!!!!!). So it seems the best solution is to have that hidden "easter egg" solution of a standard AC3/DolbyDigital (standard) embedded track.

The best thing for me to do is run a 2D audio test through the oppo (ensuring the receiver says "Dolby True HD" (which, BTW... when running from the 3D player it did NOT say that it just said "Direct").
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
By the way...

How long are those disc-shaped batteries supposed to last? After watching Finding Nemo (close to 2hrs), I did a re-pairing verification and it looked like the batteries were already 70%-80% used up! Do you guys find you need to replace the batteries after 2 or 3 movies? That would be awful.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
DTS-HD Master Audio also contains a legacy DTS track for compatibility. I assure you there is not enough bandwidth to support lossless multichannel on the coax/SPDIF input.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
Hello everyone,
....How in the world was I able to broadcast UNCOMPRESSED Dolby True HD across a $15 digital coaxial cable? I thought I needed HDMI 1.3 for that!
Just a slight correction. TrueHD and DTS-MA are (lossless) compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
DTS-HD Master Audio also contains a legacy DTS track for compatibility. I assure you there is not enough bandwidth to support lossless multichannel on the coax/SPDIF input.
The cable could but S/PDIF is the format standard and it doesn't support the bandwidth of TrueHD, DTS-MA or multi channel LPCM (I believe even 2 channel 96/24 fudges the standard a little).

Last edited by William; 08-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.
William is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The cable could but S/PDIF is the format standard and it doesn't support the bandwidth (I believe even 2 channel 96/24 fudges the standard a little) of TrueHD, DTS-MA or multi channel LPCM.
That's what I meant. No real reason to talk about the theoretical cable limit because there isn't a workaround to the imposed standard.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
Balthazar2k4 is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
That's what I meant. No real reason to talk about the theoretical cable limit because there isn't a workaround to the imposed standard.
Understand, just didn't want the OP to think that the cable was the bottleneck and he/she could switch to optical and get multi channel lossless formats.
William is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm definitely going to run some tests tonight. It could very well be one superb Dolby Digital / AC-3 track that only gets marginal improvement to the True HD (see the DTS vs. DTS Master Audio for Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds for reference).

I wonder how compressed the lossless tracks are. It was my impression that LPCM was not only lossless, but uncompressed as well. I bet there is not much compression on the lossless formats compared to AC3 & DTS. IMO, regular DTS is generally much better sounding than regular AC3.

Any ideas on the battery time for those 3D glasses?
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I'm definitely going to run some tests tonight. It could very well be one superb Dolby Digital / AC-3 track that only gets marginal improvement to the True HD (see the DTS vs. DTS Master Audio for Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds for reference).

I wonder how compressed the lossless tracks are. It was my impression that LPCM was not only lossless, but uncompressed as well. I bet there is not much compression on the lossless formats compared to AC3 & DTS. IMO, regular DTS is generally much better sounding than regular AC3.

Any ideas on the battery time for those 3D glasses?
Lpcm is lossless in the sense that it is the original. Digital recording (mostly) IS LPCM (linear pulse code modulation). The lossless systems save data space but end up, once decoded, exactly the same as the original lpcm. Just like if you zip an excel sheet and email it to yourself. When you open it, it is exactly waht you had before.
JHAz is online now  
post #12 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I'm definitely going to run some tests tonight. It could very well be one superb Dolby Digital / AC-3 track that only gets marginal improvement to the True HD (see the DTS vs. DTS Master Audio for Jurassic Park and War of the Worlds for reference).

I wonder how compressed the lossless tracks are. It was my impression that LPCM was not only lossless, but uncompressed as well. I bet there is not much compression on the lossless formats compared to AC3 & DTS. IMO, regular DTS is generally much better sounding than regular AC3.

Any ideas on the battery time for those 3D glasses?
Just to add some to what JHAz said. There are 2 types of compression.

Lossy: Which throws away audible information judged to be less important. MP3, DTS and Dolby are this.

Lossless: Only removes info it can replace exactly bit for bit as was. FLAC, ALAC, TrueHD and DTS-MA are this (ZIP files for audio).

LPCM master is what the engineer starts with and it is encoded to a compressed format. You also end with LPCM, but if it's from decoded MP3, DTS or DD it will still be lossy. The information is gone and can't be replaced.

If the decoded (final) LPCM is from FLAC, ALAC, TrueHD or DTS-MA it will be exactly the same as the LPCM master.



Also objectively comparing audio quality of any two (or more) tracks like DD and DTS requires a lot of carful setup and DB testing. You probably can't do this.

To even come close you must level match. In many cases the DD has the DN set -4dB. This can fool even the most golden ear audiophile.
William is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
The DD 5.1 track embedded in the TrueHD package is encoded at the maximum bitrate, much higher than the rate used on DVD, and it rivals lossless in quality. The same goes for the DTS core used with dts-MA. So, you really aren't missing anything in terms of audio quality using an S/PDIF connection.
BIslander is online now  
post #14 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
CinemaAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I read some place, S/PDIF and TosLink can send anything other than lossy/lossless audio formats. I have seen my pioneer showing it was decoding DTS-HDMA, but i was using TosLink, so pioneer must lie, or Sony wants me to buy a HDMI cable. I don't know what to believe.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
CinemaAndy is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I can usually tell a subtle difference if the audio is compressed or the more dynamic (and alive "pop") uncompressed version. And to me, the Finding Nemo audio seemed uncompressed to me - as crazy as that sounds.
Sounds like you're confusing digital audio compression and dynamic range compression, as crazy as that sounds.
Ormy is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
I read some place, S/PDIF and TosLink can send anything other than lossy/lossless audio formats. I have seen my pioneer showing it was decoding DTS-HDMA, but i was using TosLink, so pioneer must lie, or Sony wants me to buy a HDMI cable. I don't know what to believe.
It's not possible to send dts-MA over an optical connection. What did your Pioneer report that leads you to believe it was receiving a lossless codec?
BIslander is online now  
post #17 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
It's not possible to send dts-MA over an optical connection. What did your Pioneer report that leads you to believe it was receiving a lossless codec?
Okay, so here are the results...

When I play Spanish or French DolbyDigital 5.1, the player reports back 48Hz @ apx. 500Kbs-600Kbs (the overal quality sounds comparable to the Dolby Digital I'm used to - maybe slightly less).

When I play English Lossless Dolby Digital 7.1, it's the same exact quality as English Dolby Digital 5.1... but the player reports back at 48Hz @ apx. 7.5-9.3 MBs (note it's MEGA and not Kilo). That's a HUGE bit rate number for lossy dolby digital.

In contrast, when I watch Gravity, the audio is shown as DTS Master Audio 48Hz @ 2.5MBs - 3.1MBs (much lower than Finding Nemo).

So... for some reason Dolby Digital can handle the digital coaxial (or perhaps that's just how the blu-ray disc is encoded) much better than Gravity's DTS Master Audio.

As I type, I am now comparing the bit rate for the 2D lossless audio track for Finding Nemo. And the results are (drum roll)...

...

...

25Mbs - 35Mbs!!!!!

The loud/dynamic moments are incredibly close to the Dolby Digital 5.1. Very hard to tell the difference - maybe just slightly more "oomph" (less than 5% difference).

However, some of the softer nuance details did seem a little more pronounced on the 25Mbs-35Mbs track (maybe about 10% at best - but more noticeable).

So at least I feel better now :-) But it's good to know there is a true difference between audio through HDMI versus digital coax. It just so happens that Finding Nemo's "standard" Dolby Digital 5.1 / AC3 track is exceptionally good for that format.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
To the OP - movie soundtracks are mastered as multichannel PCM, which takes up a lot space on a disc. In order to save space, without sacrificing quality, studios useless lossless data compression - essentially a zipping process. They feed the track into a TrueHD or dts-MA encoder, which squeezes it down to a smaller size. The decoder unsqueezes the file, turning it back into PCM that is bit-for-bit identical to the original soundtrack.

It is not correct to call TrueHD or dts-MA "uncompressed". They are codecs, an acronym meaning COmpressionDECompression. Similarly, it is not correct to call PCM "lossless." Lossless refers to the type of data compression used to reduce the size of the file and there's no data compression involved in a PCM file.
BIslander is online now  
post #19 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
Okay, so here are the results...

When I play Spanish or French DolbyDigital 5.1, the player reports back 48Hz @ apx. 500Kbs-600Kbs (the overal quality sounds comparable to the Dolby Digital I'm used to - maybe slightly less).

When I play English Lossless Dolby Digital 7.1, it's the same exact quality as English Dolby Digital 5.1... but the player reports back at 48Hz @ apx. 7.5-9.3 MBs (note it's MEGA and not Kilo). That's a HUGE bit rate number for lossy dolby digital.

In contrast, when I watch Gravity, the audio is shown as DTS Master Audio 48Hz @ 2.5MBs - 3.1MBs (much lower than Finding Nemo).

So... for some reason Dolby Digital can handle the digital coaxial (or perhaps that's just how the blu-ray disc is encoded) much better than Gravity's DTS Master Audio.

As I type, I am now comparing the bit rate for the 2D lossless audio track for Finding Nemo. And the results are (drum roll)...

...

...

25Mbs - 35Mbs!!!!!

The loud/dynamic moments are incredibly close to the Dolby Digital 5.1. Very hard to tell the difference - maybe just slightly more "oomph" (less than 5% difference).

However, some of the softer nuance details did seem a little more pronounced on the 25Mbs-35Mbs track (maybe about 10% at best - but more noticeable).

So at least I feel better now :-) But it's good to know there is a true difference between audio through HDMI versus digital coax. It just so happens that Finding Nemo's "standard" Dolby Digital 5.1 / AC3 track is exceptionally good for that format.
Most players don't report the specs of all possible outputs. When you play a TrueHD track, the player may be processing it for lossless bitstream output, as a lossy source for mixing in secondary audio, as a stereo downmix (using either the lossy or lossless source), and as a lossy bitstream. The stats you see almost certainly refer to the lossless version on the disc, not to the DD 5.1 output over S/PDIF.

Bitrates are not a meaningful spec with lossless encoding, which uses variable bitrates, taking as much or as little bandwidth as is needed at any given moment in the soundtrack.

And, once again, the embedded DD 5.1 track in a TrueHD encode is not exactly "standard". DD 5.1 on DVD is rarely encoded at more than 448kbps, usually less. It's almost always 640k on TrueHD, the maximum rate in the DD 5.1 spec.
BIslander is online now  
post #20 of 33 Old 08-11-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
To the OP - movie soundtracks are mastered as multichannel PCM, which takes up a lot space on a disc. In order to save space, without sacrificing quality, studios useless lossless data compression - essentially a zipping process. They feed the track into a TrueHD or dts-MA encoder, which squeezes it down to a smaller size. The decoder unsqueezes the file, turning it back into PCM that is bit-for-bit identical to the original soundtrack.

It is not correct to call TrueHD or dts-MA "uncompressed". They are codecs, an acronym meaning COmpressionDECompression. Similarly, it is not correct to call PCM "lossless." Lossless refers to the type of data compression used to reduce the size of the file and there's no data compression involved in a PCM file.
Thank you for clarifying this, BIslander.

I like the "zipping" analogy. For instance, I can ZIP (compress) a spreadsheet or word processing document and save 90% of space. But to view the document, I must UNZIP (decompress) to view in its normal "raw" state.

Image files, on the other hand, are already compressed. Well... some of them are :-)

Take a JPG image file, for example. I could take a few jpg images... and further compress them with ZIP. I don't save very much additional space at this point (since the image files are already compressed), but more useful is the fact I'm sending ONE "simple" file rather than several. Even so, I usually see a slight reduction in size too - so it is compacting them slightly further.

===

Back to Finding Nemo...

The lossy Dolby Digital track was high in quality @ 7-9 MBps.

The lossless Dolby True HD track was VERY high in quality @ 25-35 MBps.

The lossy DTS track played from the "DTS MA option" (probably the hidden easter egg for backwards compatibility)
was average in quality at 2-3 MBps.

It seems to me there really is no difference in sound quality between DTS-MA, and DtrueHD. Because there is no data compression involved (at all) with LPCM, I wonder if there can be a very slight noticeable difference (even with just a scope or other hardware equipment)... meaning... is it possible there may be some miniscule distortion from the compress / uncompress state? If the audio was analog, I would imagine that would be the case. But since it's digital, probably not. I heard some amazing audio tracks in LPCM that were incredibly BOLD with a lot of punch (i.e., Scorcese's THE DEPARTED for example).

The bottom line is that I was SHOCKED to how spectacular the audio track was from using the digital coaxial (and... hearing Dolby Digital 5.1 even though the audio file chosen was Dolby True HD 7.1/5.1 - lol).
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
CinemaAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
It's not possible to send dts-MA over an optical connection. What did your Pioneer report that leads you to believe it was receiving a lossless codec?
Yeah i know. It showed DTS-HD MSTR. Even on optical it will do a 7.1 track, but that was the first time i saw it displaying that. I personally think it's time for a new AVR, as it has been acting weird lately. I run a HTPC via HDMI to my TV and optical to my AVR as it will not pass 3D thru.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.
CinemaAndy is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Yeah i know. It showed DTS-HD MSTR. Even on optical it will do a 7.1 track, but that was the first time i saw it displaying that. I personally think it's time for a new AVR, as it has been acting weird lately. I run a HTPC via HDMI to my TV and optical to my AVR as it will not pass 3D thru.
My Onkyo was made in 2009, and can't pass 3D through either. So I run HDMI to the TV, but a digital coax to the receiver. My inexpensive Sony only has a digital coaxial option (no fiber optic port). But ironically I prefer the flavor of sound of the digital coax (warmer, natural sound, and balanced) over the fiber optic (colder, very "digital-like") anyway.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Barnahadnagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hungary
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
An uncompressed 5.1 48/24 track is 6912 Kbit / second. TrueHD will usually cut this down to 3000-4000 kbit / s. The standard Blu-Ray DD's maximal bitrate is 640 kbit / s, 448 for the DVD version. DTS can have at most 1536 kbit / s on both BD and DVD. This difference does not make DTS inherently better, as Dolby uses better compression algorithms. DTS-HD MA will similarly cut down the 5.1 bitrate to 3000-4000 kbit/s. Some data you were seeing there must be wrong

Also SPDIF maximal uncompressed audio is 2.0 at 192/24.

While with the Dolby, the TrueHD is a different track, and there always is a separate DD track for backward compatibility (just hidden from the menus), in the case of DTS, it is one track. The "core" DTS is the old one at 1536, and the "MA" part is just a "correction" part, which restores the original from this. Due to this DTSHD-MA is less eficient than TrueHD, but overall still occupies the same place (or less), as you need the common DD track included too.

There is no difference between LPCM and TrueHD / MA / FLAC in sound quality. Not even the tiniest one. It's not called lossless for nothing. And don't even try to compare it to analog, it works completely differently. One really simple method of compression: 24 bit audio file, but audio is not amplified to the max, so the 24th bit is not used. Compression: Delete the last bit, leave a note that the 24th bit is 0. We are down to 6624 kbit / s on a 48/24 5.1 track.

You also need to decompress image files like jpeg, just your image viewer does that on the fly .

I think I commented on everything I wanted Cheers.

Except... There should be no difference between coax and optical (apart from a bit of jitter, but nothing clearly audible). Either some processing is being done behind your back, or the component is wrong.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Barnahadnagy is online now  
post #24 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnahadnagy View Post
An uncompressed 5.1 48/24 track is 6912 Kbit / second. TrueHD will usually cut this down to 3000-4000 kbit / s. The standard Blu-Ray DD's maximal bitrate is 640 kbit / s, 448 for the DVD version. DTS can have at most 1536 kbit / s on both BD and DVD. This difference does not make DTS inherently better, as Dolby uses better compression algorithms. DTS-HD MA will similarly cut down the 5.1 bitrate to 3000-4000 kbit/s. Some data you were seeing there must be wrong

Also SPDIF maximal uncompressed audio is 2.0 at 192/24.

While with the Dolby, the TrueHD is a different track, and there always is a separate DD track for backward compatibility (just hidden from the menus), in the case of DTS, it is one track. The "core" DTS is the old one at 1536, and the "MA" part is just a "correction" part, which restores the original from this. Due to this DTSHD-MA is less eficient than TrueHD, but overall still occupies the same place (or less), as you need the common DD track included too.

There is no difference between LPCM and TrueHD / MA / FLAC in sound quality. Not even the tiniest one. It's not called lossless for nothing. And don't even try to compare it to analog, it works completely differently. One really simple method of compression: 24 bit audio file, but audio is not amplified to the max, so the 24th bit is not used. Compression: Delete the last bit, leave a note that the 24th bit is 0. We are down to 6624 kbit / s on a 48/24 5.1 track.

You also need to decompress image files like jpeg, just your image viewer does that on the fly .

I think I commented on everything I wanted Cheers.

Except... There should be no difference between coax and optical (apart from a bit of jitter, but nothing clearly audible). Either some processing is being done behind your back, or the component is wrong.
Maybe it isn't quite apples to apples (if the receiver is doing something differently), but I kid you not there is a slight difference in sound between Digital Coax and Fiber Optic. The best way I can describe it is that the Digital Coax seems to have some "analog" qualities to it. The dynamic range & frequency response, and all the other bits, bells, & whistles are no doubt identical but there is a very slight difference in "flavor" of the sound.

As for Finding Nemo, I am not sure why I'm getting results of 7-9 MBits but that's what is being reported! Likewise, the lossless True HD track is reporting back 25-35Mbits.

Is it remotely POSSIBLE that the player is trying to send True HD signal to the receiver... but the bandwidth of the coax brings it down to 7-9 MBits?

The DTS track from Gravity was around 2.5-3.5 Mbits (2500-3500 KBits, well... not exactly because it's multiplying by 1,024 and not 1,000 but you get my drift). So why is the player reporting back 7-9 on Dolby Digital? Other scenes it was reporting back 5-6 Mbits, but other "busier" and audio-heavy scenes it was 7-9.

I have no doubt you are probably right. I imagine if an actual scope could be used on the BACK END it would report the accurate results - which may be far from 7-9. But at the same token I wouldn't be surprised if (somehow) the results *WERE* actually 7-9... because when I listened to the audio track of Finding Nemo it totally sounded LOSSLESS to me (and I'm sure most of the users on here would agree as it's very distinguishable).
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
Maybe it isn't quite apples to apples (if the receiver is doing something differently), but I kid you not there is a slight difference in sound between Digital Coax and Fiber Optic. The best way I can describe it is that the Digital Coax seems to have some "analog" qualities to it. The dynamic range & frequency response, and all the other bits, bells, & whistles are no doubt identical but there is a very slight difference in "flavor" of the sound.

As for Finding Nemo, I am not sure why I'm getting results of 7-9 MBits but that's what is being reported! Likewise, the lossless True HD track is reporting back 25-35Mbits.

Is it remotely POSSIBLE that the player is trying to send True HD signal to the receiver... but the bandwidth of the coax brings it down to 7-9 MBits?

The DTS track from Gravity was around 2.5-3.5 Mbits (2500-3500 KBits, well... not exactly because it's multiplying by 1,024 and not 1,000 but you get my drift). So why is the player reporting back 7-9 on Dolby Digital? Other scenes it was reporting back 5-6 Mbits, but other "busier" and audio-heavy scenes it was 7-9.

I have no doubt you are probably right. I imagine if an actual scope could be used on the BACK END it would report the accurate results - which may be far from 7-9. But at the same token I wouldn't be surprised if (somehow) the results *WERE* actually 7-9... because when I listened to the audio track of Finding Nemo it totally sounded LOSSLESS to me (and I'm sure most of the users on here would agree as it's very distinguishable).
I also firmly believe there is no difference between (pure) LPCM and (lossless) Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio.

Between Dolby and Digital Theater Systems, they seem to compete trying to put their own proprietary "spin" on things, but the end result is the same (with the "lossless" audio that is).

On the other hand, there is a BIG difference in quality between standard (lossy) "AC3 Dolby Digital" vs. "DTS". My guess is that the DTS is less "lossy". I was not using the correct terminology when I referred to compression earlier. That was a bad example, as I realize that compression refers more to the technicalities of CONVERSION (codec). COMPRESSING something with an algorhithm and then DECOMPRESSING it back to its original state.

Lossy vs. Lossless is a better (and the common term here on AVS). But in my opinion, if the original audio was 100% lossless... the lossy track is a "compressed" version of the lossless one. Compressed meaning LESS data (and inferior quality). But I understand and respect proper vocab is essential to avoid communication and understanding mishaps.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Member
 
Barnahadnagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hungary
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Seems like it gets the bitrate wrong on DD. 7-9 MBit/s would be normal for a 7.1 TrueHD track, and the 2-3 for the DTS MA is plausible too. The maximum possible bitrate of a TrueHD track is 18 MBit / s. It's also easy to get the bitrate value (I used powers of 10 too BTW ): Lets say CD, which is 2.0, 44100 hz, 16 bit. It will be 2x44100x16 ~= 1411 kbit/s.
As for the COAX/Opti I suspect it does some processing for only one of them.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Barnahadnagy is online now  
post #27 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I also firmly believe there is no difference between (pure) LPCM and (lossless) Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio.

Between Dolby and Digital Theater Systems, they seem to compete trying to put their own proprietary "spin" on things, but the end result is the same (with the "lossless" audio that is).

On the other hand, there is a BIG difference in quality between standard (lossy) "AC3 Dolby Digital" vs. "DTS". My guess is that the DTS is less "lossy". I was not using the correct terminology when I referred to compression earlier. That was a bad example, as I realize that compression refers more to the technicalities of CONVERSION (codec). COMPRESSING something with an algorhithm and then DECOMPRESSING it back to its original state.

Lossy vs. Lossless is a better (and the common term here on AVS). But in my opinion, if the original audio was 100% lossless... the lossy track is a "compressed" version of the lossless one. Compressed meaning LESS data (and inferior quality). But I understand and respect proper vocab is essential to avoid communication and understanding mishaps.
Back to Finding Nemo...

I've played several key scenes between the 2D blu-ray (on my Oppo) with 25-35 MBits of DolbyTrueHD versus the 3D blu-ray (on my Sony) with 7-9 MBits of hidden backwards DolbyDigital through the DolbyTrueHD track.

The audio quality between the two was virtually unnoticeable! Normally, the lossless tracks "pop" more, and have greater presence - both in dynamic range as well as picking out the finer (softer) nuanced details.

The loud scenes were basically identical... MAYBE 5% better.
The softer environmental audio effects & dialogue were also near identical... MAYBE 10% better.

Most every other disc I've tested and played with you could easily tell the difference between lossy formats versus the lossless ones. A handful of people (non home theater enthusiasts) couldn't tell the difference either way... to them they were just watching the same scene. But those who are into home theater or hi-fi could always (without fail) IMMEDIATELY tell the difference in sound quality.

The next time I have some of these friends over, I'm going to do a demo of Finding Nemo through Digital Coax versus through HDMI.

One final question/comment...

Is it also possible the cable I have has ARC (audio return channel) - that may cause the lossless audio to "sneak back" into the receiver through the HDMI out port? I doubt this would be the case as I imagine the receiver's ports would need to be ARC compliant... which I'm not sure if HDMI 1.3a is or not. I don't recall if that was a 1.4 or if it was a higher version of 1.3. From the past reading I've done, 1.4 and 1.3 are virtually identical (but maybe depends on the version of 1.3).
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeInSky1970 View Post
I also firmly believe there is no difference between (pure) LPCM and (lossless) Dolby TrueHD & DTS Master Audio...
Optical and coax digital are the same. Both pass an identical S/PDIF signal. If you hear a difference it is level match, placebo or a receiver problem.

Also belief that LPCM, decoded TrueHD or DTS-MA are identical is not needed. It's factual science.

Last edited by William; 08-12-2014 at 10:07 AM.
William is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Barnahadnagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hungary
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ARC is HDMI 1.4. From my experience lossless tracks make the surround channel into normal ones, not ones just outputting noise vaguely resembling what was there originally.

2-channel is just multichannel done badly. - Frank Derks
Barnahadnagy is online now  
post #30 of 33 Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
EyeInSky1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful input and help. AVS is a terrific site, and a wonderful resource for helpful information in specialized hobby.

That said, I guess the bottom line is that I'm happy with the way things have turned out. With the sound quality I'm receiving, I don't feel the need to upgrade my receiver - especially considering the small handful of times I would watch 3D in a year's time. It is still a mystery why I was getting near lossless quality sound (with Finding Nemo and not Gravity), but that's a silly thing to complain about. Both the 3D player and the 2009 Onkyo receiver are keepers.
EyeInSky1970 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
audio , dolbytruehd , dtsmasteraudio , uncompressed

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off