Speaker Setup in awkward TV position - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Speaker Setup in awkward TV position

I'm planning on a leasing a condo soon that has a built in "entertainment center". (link below)

Aside from being a bit higher than I'd like the setup isnt too bad. The problem is speaker placement when I eventually buy them in the coming months.

Since this is a condo rental I'll probably go for a 3.0 setup since I cant really run cables neatly to rear speakers. My question pertains for the front L/R speakers.

Where is the optimal placement given that door is where I would normally like to put the left channel. I havent measured it precisely but putting a 50in TV or so would take up a majority of the space inside.

Would putting the fronts directly next to the TV (in the space between the door frame and the TV) on stands be terrible?

Any ideas?
http://imgur.com/Gs9t4SV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
You didn't give a budget, so I will just have to guess.

It doesn't look like you have more than 4" - 6" between the door frame and the edge of the entertainment center - I'm not sure I know which speakers would be narrow enough to fit in that space - and even if they did fit how you could keep them from being knocked over when entering through the door.

One place would be ceiling mounts - one above the door and one to the right at a symmetrical distance - but with a rental I'm not sure you (or your landlord) are keen on that idea either.

You could just go with bookshelf speakers in a less than optimal placement - in favor of placing them in better locations at your next place. You could put the TV above a center speaker and put the fronts as far to the sides of the center as possible - the TV stand (plus a spacer if needed) would give the needed height. This wouldn't give you enough separation between your Left and Right fronts, but you would have real speakers and a good center channel speaker in an optimal location. These are what I would suggest:

Fronts: NHT Absolute Zero Bookshelf Speaker - $187 ea (on sale right now)

Center: NHT Absolute Center Channel Speaker - $329

Sub: Dayton 1200 from Parts Express (about $130) or SVS PB-1000 ($499)

For AVRs, most are suggesting the Denon AVR-X1000 or Denon AVR-X2000 depending on the features you need. If you don't mind a refurbished unit, very inexpensive from Accessories4Less.com

DENON AVR-X1000 5.1 Channel Networking Receiver w/ AirPlay - $220

I absolutely hate soundbars, but there are some "passive soundbars" which are actually the front three speakers in one - a 3.0 system in a single cabinet. These are not going to give you as much volume or mid-bass but will be easily integrated into a small entertainment center and all three speakers along with a subwoofer can be driven by an AVR which will give you way more power and control than a soundbar.

Paradigm Cinema Trio - 3 tweeters / Four 3.5" midrange drivers - these can be had for about $400 from eBay

Paradigm Millenia 20 Trio - 3 tweeters / Four 4.5" midrange drivers / Two 4.5" woofers

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 08-14-2014 at 07:50 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You might have to resort to a soundbar.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
You might have to resort to a soundbar.
Soundbars are the worst - they are overpriced and sound terrible. The "passive soundbars" that I suggested above look like a standard soundbar but are really just three speakers in one that can be driven by any budget AVR and will sound WAY BETTER than any soundbar at even twice the price.

Plus an AVR gives you a lot more control over the volume / balance of each speaker, will allow you to add any powered sub, and has a lot more power than any soundbar.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for taking so long to respond, Its been busy and I forgot about this curiosity.

I've since measured and with a 50" TV there is going to be zero room on the sides for even the smallest speakers.

I like the idea of a passive soundbar, but I'd like to set my budget to around $500 (AVR + soundbar)

Any recommendations for low cost bars? This is a small second floor condo so I don't need earsplitting bass and volume. Clear dialogue is the goal here.

I've always been anti-soundbar but it doesnt look like I have a choice.

p.s.
In the TV cabinet there are speaker terminals, I imagine the place was prewired for rear speakers but I have no idea where they terminate to and I doubt my landlord will let me start knocking down drywall.

Any cheap/easy way to find wire buried in drywall so I can maybe cut a small opening to fish it out. Future note right now, I have neither the money nor the need now.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 348
http://www.datacomtools.com/catalog/...-networks.html

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
>
>
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page