post #61 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Question: Can you restore "life" to a dull sounding cable?
This always works: Hook the cable to a good sounding system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Question numero uno: How long before cheap cables (and ultra expensive ones too) start fading away (sound quality degradation)?
Very likely that this may never happen.

Quote:
Simply put, how long they last; that you can clearly hear and measure that they're not up to it no more and that it's time for replacement?
Failing cables generally fail by loosing electrical continuity, and that is pretty easy to figure out by means of detecting the total loss of sound for that connection.

Quote:
Numero dos: Do cables (wires) vibrate? ...Oscillation, vibration, ...and @ what frequencies and @ how many pulsations per second?

Wires may mechanically vibrate, but generally that has no effect on the signals passing through them.

Think about say, a vehicle that is driven over a rough surface at a high speed. What parts of its electrical system are allowed to fail? Answer: none! Are the wires in that vehicle vibrating? QED.
post #63 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeff
As a electronics and electrical engineer, ...

And when you go to electronics school, you learn that copper is the best conductor money can buy. And that gold plated stuff is used in Space Craft, for NASA and DoD. Usually to mitigate corrosion. But with no air in space, that rational is rather ridiculous also. Did you know that is you solder a piece of copper, it can not corrode?

No I'm not a metallurgist, but after working on programs as an engineer, like the F4-A Phantom Jet Fighter, DD963 NAVY electronic Warfare equipment, E2C Hawkeye airplane, NASA Hubble Space Telescope, NASA Space Shuttle, and Missile Defense programs, I can provide you some of the most expert recommendations of where to drink the best cold craft beer, as well as who serves the heaftiest Jack Daniels on the Rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm
Where did you say you worked again?
There Amir, just above, in red color.
post #64 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
You have a Denon AVR, right? Can you please post a picture of the back panel so that we can see lack of RCA cables?

OK, you don't need to do that because we all know you do have a ton of RCA jacks on the back of your AVR, including S/PDIF connectors used for digital audio input.
IMO a completely inappropriately phrased question.

First off and most importantly, who is stupid enough to say that my particular AVR is typical of the average audiophile?

Certainly not me!

Secondly, I hereby certify that all of the RCA audio jacks on the back of my AVR are vacant, but that three of the HDMI jacks are not vacant.
post #65 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post
It's all in your head.
Prove it.

Obviously, you aren't me and I'm not you. if you can't hear any difference between various cables, then it's probably that you might not have learned how to listen to cables. it's not something that everyone can do the first time around. Some cables are different enough where it's fairly obvious and sometimes it isn't.

It's not in anyone's head, it's what we hear.

Go take the Pepsi challenge and compare whatever cables you use to MIT or Transparent cables and see for yourself. Be as skeptical as you want, but take the challenge.

I don't think top mastering engineers don't know how to listen, that's what they do for a living and those that have listened to a variety of cables will certainly tell you that they hear a difference, it's all about choosing which one sounds best in your system to your personal preference is what it ultimately boils down to.

If you are afraid to take the challenge, then that sounds like you are just that. Afraid. Nothing wrong with it, it's just something you either want to deal with or you don't want to deal with.

Best of luck to you. But trying to convince people that they are imaging things is being little on the immature side, especially if you are saying that these top end mastering engineers are imaging things. I wouldn't tell top level mastering engineers that the differences they hear in cables is imagined. You want to do that? Here's Bob Ludwig's phone number at his studio, call him up and tell him he's imaging things. 208-828-9400. Remember, an EE is not trained to listen, they are just taught theory. It's what they do with their theory that makes them good or not at designing something, but they aren't even taught anything about music as an EE, that they have to study music. I wonder how many EE's can actually detect differences in pitch without any form of pitch training.

There have been tests conducted at colleges years ago with just something as simple as pitch and they compared classically trained musicians with non-musicians and the non-muisicians could only detect about a 5cent difference but the classically trained musicians could detect as little as 2 cent difference and that's just something simple as in pitch. Listening to timbre is far more difficult for the average person and that's what a cable can change.
post #66 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Two words: sighted evaluations.
It's called looking at industry experts who's job it is is to be a trained listener, that's what their job is. It's what their whole life revolves around is LISTENING to MUSIC and how it sounds. If they are good at their job, they get repeat business, and these two are two of the top mastering engineers of all time. I'm not going to tell these guys that the differences in cables they hear is imagined, because it isn't.

I think you just don't know how to listen and that's something you probably need to deal with on your own and maybe you can find someone to help you learn. It's not an impossible task for most people, but the willingness to do so is the first step.

I just think you are in a state of denial about it. And that's OK. Plenty of people are in denial about cables. Nothing new.
post #67 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dr. Larry Greenhill organized a DBT of cables using the members and member system(s) of The Audiophile Society. The outcome was negative for audible difference for all but a trivial case involving a relatively long piece of 24 gauge wire, if memory serves.

Greenhill, Larry 'Speaker Cables: Can you Hear the Difference?' Stereo Review, Aug 83, pg 46-51.

I don't have the full 6 page article, but this is from its conclusions:

"...So what do our fifty hours of testing, scoring and listening to speaker cables amount to? Only that 16-gauge lamp cord and Monster cable are indistinguishable from each other with music and seem to be superior to the 24 gauge wire commonly sold or given away as 'speaker cable.' Remember, however, that it was a measurable characteristic--higher resistance per foot--that made 24 gauge sound different from the other cables. If the cable runs were only 6 instead of 30 feet, the overall cable resistances would have been lower and our tests would probably have found no audible differences between the three cables. This project was unable to validate the sonic benefits claimed for exotic speaker cables over common 16-gauge zip cord. We can only conclude, therefore, that there is little advantage besides pride of ownership in using these thick, expensive wires"

Critical commentary here: http://www.stereophile.com/historical/1283cable/

Other articles that must be reviewed in detail before such a sweeping statement as was made above could possibly be valid:

"Are those Ears Really Golden? (Or only Iron Pyrites)", Smith, Thomas H., Peterson, Michael R., and
Jackson, Peter O., The Audio Amateur, 1/80, pg 34, 36, 38, &32.
"The Great Ego Crunchers: Equalized, Double Blind Testing", Shanefield, Daniel, Hi-Fidelity, Mar 80,
pg 57-61.
"Audio Specifications and Human Hearing", Davis, Mark F., Stereo Review, May 82, pg 48-52.
"Can you Trust Your Ears?", Nousaine, Tom, Stereo Review, Aug 97, pg 53-55.
"The Science of Listening", Masters, Ian G., Audio Dec 97, pg 40-47.
"Ten Years of A/B/X Testing", Clark, David L., Presented at the 91st AES Convention, Oct 91, Print
#3167 .
"High-Resolution Subjective Testing Using a Double-Blind Comparator", Clark, David, Journal of the
Audio Engineering Society, Vol30, no 5, May82, pg 330-338.
"Amplifier-Loudspeaker Interfacing", Greiner, R.A., JAES vol. 28, no. 5 May 80, pg
"Another Look at Speaker Cables", Greiner, R.A., BAS Speaker Dec 78, addendum March 79
"Cables and the Amp Speaker Interface", Greiner, R.A., Audio, Aug 89, addendum Nov 89,
"Effects of cable, Loudspeaker and Amplifier Interactions", Davis, Fred E., JAES, vol. 39, no. 6 Jun 91
"Speaker Cables: Testing for Audibility", Davis, Fred E., Audio, Jul 93
"The Amp/Speaker Interface", Meyer, E.B., Stereo Review, June 91
"Cable and Sound Delivery", Newell, P., Studio Sound, Jul 91
"Cable Bound", Olsher, D., Stereophile, Jul 88
"Getting Wired", Warren, R., Stereo Review, Jun 90
"Loudspeaker Cables", Moir, J., Hi-Fi News& Record Review, May 79
"Speaker Cables: Science or Snake Oil", Pass, Nelson, Speaker Builder, Feb 80
"Will ‘Beasty’ Speaker Cables Improve your Audio?", Honeycutt, R. A., Radio-Electronics, Feb 91
"The Wire and Cable Scene: Facts, Fictions and Frauds", Aczel, P. The Audio Critic, Part I- Issue 15,
Spring-Winter 90-91; Part II-Issue 16, Spring-Fall 91, pg 51-57; Part III- issue 17, Winter 91-92,
pg.50-52.
"Speaker Cables: Can you Hear the Difference?", Greenhill, Larry, Stereo Review, Aug 83, pg 46-51.
"Cable Conflicts: The Mystery of Getting Wired", Klein, Larry, Electronics Now, Dec 93, pg. 80& 83
"Wired Wisdom, The Great Chicago Cable Caper", Nousaine, Tom, Sound & Vision(Canada), Sep 95,
pg. 73-76.
"Speaker Cables, Measurements vs Psychoacoustic Data", Villchur, Edgar, Audio, Jul 94, pg 34-37.
"Cross Talk, Do Cables Have a Sonic Personality all their Own?", Kessler, Kehn & Nousaine, Tom,
Video, May 96, pg. 36-40.
"Does Wire Directionality Exist?", Lampen, Stephen, Speaker Builder, 3/98, pg 30, 31.
"Amplifier-Loudspeaker Interfacing", Greiner, R.A., JAES vol. 28, no. 5 May 80, pg
"Another Look at Speaker Cables", Greiner, R.A., BAS Speaker Dec 78, addendum March 79
"Cables and the Amp Speaker Interface", Greiner, R.A., Audio, Aug 89, addendum Nov 89,
"Forum: Twist and Turns", Greiner, R.A., Audio, Jan 92, pg.
"Effects of cable, Loudspeaker and Amplifier Interactions", Davis, Fred E., JAES, vol. 39, no. 6 Jun
91, pg.
"Speaker Cables: Testing for Audibility", Davis, Fred E., Audio, Jul 93, pg.
"Alpha-Core Goertz M1 & M2 Speaker Cables", Davis, Fred E., Audio, Aud 94, pg. 64, 65.
"The Amp/Speaker Interface", Meyer, E.B., Stereo Review, June 91, pg
"Cable and Sound Delivery", Newell, P., Studio Sound, Jul 91, pg
"Cable Bound", Olsher, D., Stereophile, Jul 88, pg
"Getting Wired", Warren, R., Stereo Review, Jun 90, pg.
"Loudspeaker Cables", Moir, J., Hi-Fi News& Record Review, May 79, pg.
"Making the Right Connections", Murray, E., CD Review, Aud 91, pg.
"Speaker Cables Compared", Ward, C. J., Thompson and Harling M., BAS Speaker, Apr 80,
"Speaker Cables: Science or Snake Oil", Pass, Nelson, Speaker Builder, Feb 80, pg.
"What’s All this Splicing Stuff, Anyhow?", Pease, R. A., Electronic Digest, Dec 27, 90, pg.
"What’s All this Splicing Stuff, Anyhow?", Pease, R. A., part 2, Electronic Design, Jul 11, 91, pg.
"Will ‘Beasty’ Speaker Cables Improve your Audio?", Honeycutt, R. A., Radio-Electronics, Feb 91, pg.
"The Wire and Cable Scene: Facts, Fictions and Frauds", Aczel, P. The Audio Critic, Part I- Issue 15,
Spring-Winter 90-91; Part II-Issue 16, Spring-Fall 91, pg 51-57; Part III- issue 17, Winter 91-92,
pg.50-52.
"Amplifiers and Speaker Cables", Masters, Ian, Audio lab test, Audio Scene Canada, Jun 81, pg 24-
"Speaker Cables: Can you Hear the Difference?", Greenhill, Larry, Stereo Review, Aug 83, pg 46-51.
"Cable Conflicts: The Mystery of Getting Wired", Klein, Larry, Electronics Now, Dec 93, pg. 80& 83."Wired Wisdom, The Great Chicago Cable Caper", Nousaine, Tom, Sound & Vision(Canada), Sep 95,
pg. 73-76.
"Beating the Bafflegab & Filtering the FooFooDust", Hayward, James, Part 1- Marshall’s Audio Ideas
Guide(Canada) Summer/Fall 94
"Making the Connection. Part Deux: A Closer Look at the Role of Loudspeaker Cables", Hayward,
James, Winter 95. Reprints available from Kimberkable.
"1/4" Cable Roundup", Gallagher, Mitch, Keyboard, Apr 99, pg. 44-48.
"Speaker Cables, Measurements vs Psychoacoustic Data", Villchur, Edgar, Audio, Jul 94, pg 34-37.
"The Truth About Speaker Cables", Hoffman, Williwam R., Popular Electronics, Jul 95, pg 46-48,
&93.
"Cross Talk, Do Cables Have a Sonic Personality all their Own?", Kessler, Kehn & Nousaine, Tom,
Video, May 96, pg. 36-40.
"Does Wire Directionality Exist?", Lampen, Stephen, Speaker Builder, 3/98, pg 30, 31.
"String ‘em Up!", Butterworth, Brent & Griffin, Al, Home Theater, Aug 1997, pg 90-108.
"Walking the High Wire", Butterworth, Brent, Home Theater, Nov 98, pg 94-102.
I shall be back next month; gotta catch up with my refreshment readings.
Meanwhile enjoy a great weekend Arny, and THX for all those precious/valuable articles/link.
post #68 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 312
And before we hear the same coined phrase quoted again:
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
post #69 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Question How to restore 'life' to a dull sounding cable?

Quote:
This always works: Hook the cable to a good sounding system.
I wasn't expecting a smart reply. ...I thought that Deoxit gold might help, or some' like that.
post #70 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that any reasonably intelligent literate person could do that, so I see no need to busy myself with a project that is not all that interesting to me. In short, its your issue and your claim.
??? It is not my claim. Statement was made that folks have learned from scientific tests what they believe here. I am asking for any such test, any at all, and this is the answer? That it is me that has to go and search for articles that prove *your* point? How does that work?

Let me ask this: are you in possession of this article yourself Arny?

Quote:
BTW do you know anybody who got through engineering school with this kind of bullying as their primary technique for doing their homework? ;-)
My apologies for making you feel bullied. I was not interacting with you on this topic Arny. You entered the conversation, gave a title for some test and I am simply asking for than that. So no, I did not learn in engineering school that asking to see a citation is bullying.

I will broaden the request to everyone. Has anyone seen that article and can provide a link to it, or where I can purchase it?

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
post #71 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I have little bottles of DeOxit and DeOxit Gold

I like the idea of contact cleaning, preservation, and enhancement.

I wonder if DeOxit Gold doesn't have a little Stabilant-22 (or equivalent) in its top secret formulation.

I'll be back later...

1.5RQ > digits > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #72 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
IMO a completely inappropriately phrased question.

First off and most importantly, who is stupid enough to say that my particular AVR is typical of the average audiophile?

Certainly not me!

Secondly, I hereby certify that all of the RCA audio jacks on the back of my AVR are vacant, but that three of the HDMI jacks are not vacant.
Please forgive me for saying so Arny but I believe the plot is lost . Here is what you said again:

Quote:
Thing is that these days most moderrn audio systems have zero, count them zero RCA connectors so this is a kind of a discussion of straw men.
You said nothing about "average audiophile." You said "most moderrn audio systems have zero, count them zero RCA connectors." You didn't say the connectors would be vacant but that there are zero connectors. Isn't your AVR a "modern audio system?"

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #73 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Think about say, a vehicle that is driven over a rough surface at a high speed. What parts of its electrical system are allowed to fail? Answer: none! Are the wires in that vehicle vibrating? QED.
Those wires have harnesses Arny that keep the vibration to a minimum. Here is an example that I know in detail: boats. The engine is running close to wide open and the vibrations will surely cause the wire to fail. From ABYC E-09 regulations on DC circuits:

Conductors shall be supported throughout their length or, alternatively shall be secured at least every 18 inches by one of the following methods...

Fortunately home wiring doesn't get exercised this way so there should be no concern. The reason though has nothing to do with wires being magically vibration-proof in cars. They are not.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #74 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
I thought that Deoxit gold might help,
That's fine to improve contact between the plug and jack if corroded, or to prevent corrosion from taking place. It doesn't have anything to do with the cable itself, which, BTW, will never audibly degrade unless it's in a severely corrosive environment.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #75 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 02:51 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
Prove it.

Obviously, you aren't me and I'm not you. if you can't hear any difference between various cables, then it's probably that you might not have learned how to listen to cables. it's not something that everyone can do the first time around. Some cables are different enough where it's fairly obvious and sometimes it isn't.

Prove it? You've been offered proof and you ignored it. You need to come up with a different retort..

It isn't what you hear, by the way. It is the brain taking a short cut when you ask it to distinguish between two things that are indistinguishable. The brain then defaults to using other criteria such as preference or visuals or expectation. It is no different than an optical illusion. It is an audible illusion and it works the same way. It is just the brain doing what it does. Want proof? Gather up your cables and bring them. I'll prove it to you.
post #76 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Prove it.

Go take the Pepsi challenge and compare whatever cables you use to MIT or Transparent cables and see for yourself. Be as skeptical as you want, but take the challenge.

I don't think top mastering engineers don't know how to listen, that's what they do for a living and those that have listened to a variety of cables will certainly tell you that they hear a difference, it's all about choosing which one sounds best in your system to your personal preference is what it ultimately boils down to.

If you are afraid to take the challenge, then that sounds like you are just that. Afraid. Nothing wrong with it, it's just something you either want to deal with or you don't want to deal with.

Best of luck to you. But trying to convince people that they are imaging things is being little on the immature side, especially if you are saying that these top end mastering engineers are imaging things. I wouldn't tell top level mastering engineers that the differences they hear in cables is imagined. You want to do that? Here's Bob Ludwig's phone number at his studio, call him up and tell him he's imaging things. 208-828-9400. Remember, an EE is not trained to listen, they are just taught theory. It's what they do with their theory that makes them good or not at designing something, but they aren't even taught anything about music as an EE, that they have to study music. I wonder how many EE's can actually detect differences in pitch without any form of pitch training.

There have been tests conducted at colleges years ago with just something as simple as pitch and they compared classically trained musicians with non-musicians and the non-muisicians could only detect about a 5cent difference but the classically trained musicians could detect as little as 2 cent difference and that's just something simple as in pitch. Listening to timbre is far more difficult for the average person and that's what a cable can change.
Rubbish.

Until you evaluate cables in a bias controlled listening test, my assertion stands.
post #77 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
Prove it? You've been offered proof and you ignored it. You need to come up with a different retort..

It isn't what you hear, by the way. It is the brain taking a short cut when you ask it to distinguish between two things that are indistinguishable. The brain then defaults to using other criteria such as preference or visuals or expectation. It is no different than an optical illusion. It is an audible illusion and it works the same way. It is just the brain doing what it does. Want proof? Gather up your cables and bring them. I'll prove it to you.

Are you going to pay me for my time, travel and living expenses to travel to YOUR place to have me tested? You had better have a LOT of money. I charge 1000x for those that want to waste my time. You got enough money to make it worth my while?

AND, here's some questions I have as to how you test someone's ability to compare cables.

1. Who selects the music to be listened to?
2. Do you give the subject enough time to get used to your stereo/environment?
3. How much time do you give on being able to hear the differences?
4. Have you had experienced listeners listen to every known brand/model cable?

As far as using the metaphor comparison between listening and looking at an optical illusion, if you look at an optical illusion long enough, you see it for what it is, an illusion, or if someone tells you what to look for, then you know it's just an illusion. See, to me, you are trying to give people the illusion that there is no difference, so it's possible to rig a test where they can't hear a difference, but for those that know there is a difference, they can rig a test to prove otherwise.

Trust me, I've heard noticeable differences in cables, so going to your place for you to RIG a test to prove your point is, as they say, A waste of time.

Last edited by drblank; 08-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #78 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
To you they don't matter, but for others they do.
They don't matter to those who are informed and understand the facts. They do matter to those who are uninformed/misinformed and ignorant of facts. I know this because I used to be the latter. Then I learned and so should you.
67jason likes this.
post #79 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Do some of your own listening tests to judge for yourself.
Which method do you recommend for listening to different cables?
post #80 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Trust me, I've heard noticeable differences in cables,
So have I. One set of IC cables I had were noisier than the other, like static noise. Turns out that one of them have grounding solder cracked and wasn't providing proper shielding against EMI/RFI. When it was re-soldered, the noise went away and they sounded just as good as other pair.
post #81 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
Which method do you recommend for listening to different cables?
Let me first ask you. What do you do, listen to, etc. when you've compared cables. This will give me an idea of how you currently do things.

I can certainly offer my advice, but let me listen to how you currently evaluate cables/products. I'll offer my advice after I get a clear understanding of what you do.

1. recordings you listen to. Just list maybe the top 5 to 10 recordings/tracks you listen to. You can PM the list if you prefer.
2. Volume level. Do you measure listening levels?
3. Length of time.

any other things you can tell me about your current methodology.

You can PM me and we can take this discussion off line as to not bother others with our discussion if you prefer.
post #82 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
So have I. One set of IC cables I had were noisier than the other, like static noise. Turns out that one of them have grounding solder cracked and wasn't providing proper shielding against EMI/RFI. When it was re-soldered, the noise went away and they sounded just as good as other pair.
You don't get static noise because of "EMI/RFI." You get that because of the loose connection you had. Make and break connections create the static.
David Susilo likes this.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #83 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by koturban View Post
Where's the test for unicorns?
Oh, that one. It is locked up and that too is a secret no one should or have a need to know.
post #84 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Go talk to Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax, and probably every major mastering engineer that's worth a damn and they'll probably ALL tell you that they can hear the difference in audio cables. ....
Of course they will. How is that credible evidence? Seems to be a logical fallacy of authority perhaps.

Can you tell us how they validated their claim? How are they immune from imagining something not there?
Or, they just don't have to demonstrate such things to anyone but themselves?
post #85 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Post 3 I predicted war.
Post 16 I thought there would be peace.
I predict another Thread being locked.
Wow, must be psychic.
post #86 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Seems like the inmates are running the asylum.
That's another website you are thinking of.
post #87 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
You said nothing about "average audiophile." You said "most moderrn audio systems have zero, count them zero RCA connectors." You didn't say the connectors would be vacant but that there are zero connectors. Isn't your AVR a "modern audio system?"
What he meant was HDMI is the flavor of the day (he said it; three HDMI inputs he used).
...Or XLR balanced for them older generation of analog audiophiliacs.
post #88 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Prove it.

I think it is an issue of perception, what the brain tells you and yes, it can lie at the drop of the hat.

Of course you have credibly demonstrated you can in fact hear it beyond just perceiving it?
post #89 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
That's fine to improve contact between the plug and jack if corroded, or to prevent corrosion from taking place. It doesn't have anything to do with the cable itself, which, BTW, will never audibly degrade unless it's in a severely corrosive environment.
I live right next to the ocean.
post #90 of 595 Old 08-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Expensive cables are important.. You just spent $70,000 on stereo speakers, $20000 for two monoblock amps, $15000 on a pre-amp, $8000 on a dac. Then you're gonna hook all those up with monoprice cables? Heck no.. It's about luxury. The cable quality have to match everything else. Who cares if the "expensive" cables sound no different than monoprice cables..

These

Paired with these

No way..
If your speaker wire does not have a battery pack then it ain't luxury.

Last edited by kevon27; 08-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page