1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jrgrady55

post #1 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Powered Sub Installation

Okay, so I just moved into my new home and it came prewired with 5 speakers in the ceiling and an audio panel in the wall. I'm just confused on the "Powered Sub" input on the audio panel. Do I just connect the powered sub directly to the wall? This seems to make sense, but if the sub is connected directly to the wall, how does it receive the inputs from the AV Receiver?? Make sense?

Thanks!!
Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	215129  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgrady55 View Post
Okay, so I just moved into my new home and it came prewired with 5 speakers in the ceiling and an audio panel in the wall. I'm just confused on the "Powered Sub" input on the audio panel. Do I just connect the powered sub directly to the wall? This seems to make sense, but if the sub is connected directly to the wall, how does it receive the inputs from the AV Receiver?? Make sense?
Usually the presence of at least wall panel implies the existence of at least one more.

You need to know what is attached to each and every wall panel.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see any subs located in the wall. There are 5 ceiling panels installed, three up front (center and front surround) and two in the rear, for rear surround. It looks like a 7.1 panel, but I'm assuming it would use separate free standing side surround if I was going to use 7.1. I'm planning on getting a 7.1 receiver, but I want to use those two separate channels to provide sound on my back patio.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 138
First thing I'd do is remove that wall plate and look at the back - to see which connections are actually connected to wires. That is actually a 6.2 wall plate - there is only one "Rear Surround" input. I also suspect that the "Left - Surround - Right" are actually connected to the speakers in the back - most people don't know that the Surrounds actually go to the sides.

The subwoofer input(s) may not even be connected to a wire. If one of them is, maybe you can see which direction it is headed. In-wall subs are rare, more commonly an RCA cable for a powered sub would just lead to another wall plate somewhere else in the room like Arny suggested.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I understand now. I did find an odd placed coax connection plate next to a power outlet. I'll have to shoot it with a multimeter to see if that is where the sub input goes to.
Thanks for the help and quick replies!!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, just ohms checked it and the coax connection point is connected to the Powered Sub 1 port. Cool! Now it's time to shop for AV receivers and a powered sub.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Recently, there was another thread on AVS where a poster was asking about terminating a coax cable (seems to be commonly used for powered sub for home pre-wire) for use with a powered sub - you may not need this but here it is:

Subwoofer Connector Pins

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2, Paradigm Signature S4 v.2, (2) SVS SB12-NSD subs, AQ & Cardas XLR
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #8 of 9 Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I was able to get it installed today. Had to buy a 1ft coax cable, coax to RCA adapter, and a y-splitter for the RCA cable. Works like a champ!!
mtn-tech likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgrady55 View Post
Thanks, I was able to get it installed today. Had to buy a 1ft coax cable, coax to RCA adapter, and a y-splitter for the RCA cable. Works like a champ!!
Glad you got it working. Thanks for the update - most of the time I never hear what happened.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page