Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Summing line level with y-adapter

Hi
I would like to convert two stereo RCA connections at line level to one mono output with a y-splitter. I have seen different opinions on whether this is safe or can be done. Please enlighten me on whether this can be done.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Not a good idea.

Stereo output on a mono speaker

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
and
>
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks, however the link provided refers to speaker level, while I am asking about line level
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Yes, but if you read it, it becomes a line level.

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky544 View Post
Hi
I would like to convert two stereo RCA connections at line level to one mono output with a y-splitter. I have seen different opinions on whether this is safe or can be done. Please enlighten me on whether this can be done.
It definitely can be done.

Here is a schematic of the circuit that you desire:

The round thingies are RCA jacks, and the resistors can be bought at any electronics store, even Radio Shack for less than $10. It is good to minimize the length of the cable connected to the Output jack to 6 feet or less.

Here are some sample parts:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/rca...6795&Ne=10166\

http://www.parts-express.com/22k-ohm...-pcs--003-2.2k

Some soldering and drilling is required. Sandpaper away any paint on the inside of the box around the jacks, don't use the insulator on the back side of the jack and your grounding is done for you if you want to be lazy.

There is an error in the schematic - the output jack should be connected to ground like the Left and Right jacks are.

You can build it into an Altoids box or equivalent.

Surprisingly enough, commercial equivalents are elusive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resistive combiner.gif
Views:	63
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	220474  

Last edited by arnyk; 08-20-2014 at 05:36 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hi
Are there any commercial versions? (or can a y-adapter be used without soldering resistors?)
Haven't done any soldering, and probably wouldn't be possible for me to do any soldering.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky544 View Post
Hi
Are there any commercial versions?
They are as I said elusive.

Quote:
(or can a y-adapter be used without soldering resistors?)
No.

Quote:
Haven't done any soldering, and probably wouldn't be possible for me to do any soldering.
Find a friend or hire a technician, I guess.

This is something that does a similar thing:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FU4F7Aod3yoAcw
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I spent hours trying to find one myself to convert my whole house audio to mono - very hard to find. I haven't tried this myself yet, but we seem to be seeing this question about once per week now. If you do buy one and try it, please report back to help out everyone else:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
You really need a stereo to mono combiner - these are easily made (follow the suggestions in the Rane website) but are hard to find - especially at a reasonable price. I am getting ready to build my own right now, but if you just want to buy one this is the most reasonably priced one I've ever found.

Put this between the TV RCA output and the amplifier RCA input and you will have two channels of mono

Edcor Stereo to Mono Combiner - $24.40
Edit: Found another RCA preamp mono to stereo converter / summing device, this one from a long time internet electronics seller

MCM Electronics - Monacor SMC-1 - Stereo to Mono Audio Converter - RCA Input and Output - $25

This is what Ray mentioned from the other thread - I actually like this suggestion of the low-cost powered mixer the best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn-tech View Post
Here is another solution that RayDunzl came up with for another poster with a similar question. Ray's solution has the advantage of being "active" and will not affect the stereo separation of the outputs in case you wanted them to drive stereo information to another set of speakers (like inside the TV). The disadvantage is that it requires power - not sure about difference in cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
If soldering a couple of resistors is too overwhelming...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX400.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MICR...ds=audio+mixer

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GPR...+to+1%2F4+inch

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-M...female+y+cable

There's your shopping list. Find your own bargains.

One mixer
three adapters for RCA to 1/4" plug (you reuse old RCA cables) - or equivalent
One RCA Male to Female splitter (reuse old RCA cables again) - or equivalent

Use two inputs to the mixer (left and right of the stereo), take one output (mono) and split it to the inputs of the amplifier.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 08-21-2014 at 11:39 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The above drawing by Arny is the way to do it, but if you want to read the complete white paper.

Why Not Wye?

Dennis Bohn, Rane Corporation

RaneNote 109 written 1991; last revised 4/04

• Splitting Signals
  • Subwoofing in Mono
  • Unbalanced Summing
  • Balanced Summing
  • Output Impedances
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Kevin
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags