Questions about indoor/outdoor setup and zones - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Questions about indoor/outdoor setup and zones

Hello!

My family sort of "owes" my dad a home theater and music setup at our cabin. I have attached a crude diagram to show what is going on, but basically we want a 2-3.1 system outdoors on the deck for movies and 2 speakers inside for music and I am wondering if that is possible with one receiver, and if airplay would work for both. The speakers are numbered. The sub will be either an outdoor one under the deck or maybe built into the wall below the receiver?

I understand there are dual zone receivers and that you only get analog sources for zone 2, but when receivers talk about zones are they referring to the ability to play both at the same time? That isn't really necessary.

What I want to know is, is it possible to press source 1 and have the 2 speakers and subwoofer outside work and then press another source button and have it only play on the speakers inside? Both with airplay/wifi? I am not sure I we always want music blasting outside or movies playing inside.

If not is it possible to simply get some sort of audio switcher that all my speakers are plugged into before the receiver? So that we can flip speakers on and off? Can a/v receivers do this on their own without a tv menu?

Thanks a ton!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	setup.png
Views:	22
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	220434  

Last edited by Voldis; 08-20-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice on how I can change the question or provide more information to make my question answerable?

Basically I want to know what kind of receiver I need, or if I need two - in order to have a 2.1 outside and a 2 speaker inside system, such that only one or the other is playing at the same time. (Don't want movie sound inside and don't always want insidie music outside)

It seems the cheaper multi-zone receivers don't receive hdmi sources on zone 2, what about airplay?

Thanks.

Last edited by Voldis; 08-23-2014 at 11:28 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldis View Post
What I want to know is, is it possible to press source 1 and have the 2 speakers and subwoofer outside work and then press another source button and have it only play on the speakers inside? Both with airplay/wifi? I am not sure I we always want music blasting outside or movies playing inside.
Years ago, most AVRs had switches for "A" speakers and "B" speakers - you could use each of these speaker pair outputs for a different room. This isn't multi-zone because there is only one source selectable at a time. Most "stereo receivers" which are just 2 channel AVRs still have this feature - but they obviously don't have surround sound and most don't have modern features like AirPlay:

Yamaha R-S300 Stereo receiver - $280
Harman Kardon HK 3700 Stereo receiver with networking - $350

As features were added, this A/B feature was usually replaced by multi-zone - where different sources could play in different zones at the same time. But as you mentioned, as a cost saving measure most often the sources to zone 2 were limited to analog sources - but the flagship models typically don't have this restriction but they are expensive - this one can play any source to any of three zones and even has two video zones:

Denon IN-Command Series AVR-X4000 AV network receiver - Black-$800

So, what I'm saying is, if you only need one source at a time and want to select between two sets of speakers "just" find an AVR with "A" and "B" speaker outputs. If you happen to also need surround sound, bass management with sub output, HDMI switching, airplay, network music streaming, or other modern features you will just have to look model by model for all these rare features together - I found these possibilities:

Denon AVR-2307CI
Marantz SR6004

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #4 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Basically I want to know what kind of receiver I need, or if I need two - in order to have a 2.1 outside and a 2 speaker inside system, such that only one or the other is playing at the same time. (Don't want movie sound inside and don't always want insidie music outside)

It seems the cheaper multi-zone receivers don't receive hdmi sources on zone 2, what about airplay?
The more straightforward way of doing this is to just find the receiver with the features you want, maybe the DENON AVR-E300 5.1 3D Networking Receiver AirPlay - $189 free ship, and then add a speaker selector switch to switch between indoor and outdoor "front" speakers. A better switch would allow for more pairs or both at the same time.

Russound AB-2.2 2 Pair Speaker A/B selector - $79

Then the question remains about the subwoofer - are you planning on a powered sub (with RCA cable input and 120v power) or a passive sub (that just connects to the wires of the outdoor speakers?

If you do an outdoor passive sub, it is powered by the receiver's amplifiers via the speaker switch, you wire it into the outdoor speaker wires and you are done:

Polk Audio Atrium Sub10 Outdoor subwoofer

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #5 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Hello!

My family sort of "owes" my dad a home theater and music setup at our cabin. I have attached a crude diagram to show what is going on, but basically we want a 2-3.1 system outdoors on the deck for movies and 2 speakers inside for music and I am wondering if that is possible with one receiver, and if airplay would work for both. The speakers are numbered. The sub will be either an outdoor one under the deck or maybe built into the wall below the receiver?

I understand there are dual zone receivers and that you only get analog sources for zone 2, but when receivers talk about zones are they referring to the ability to play both at the same time? That isn't really necessary.

If not is it possible to simply get some sort of audio switcher that all my speakers are plugged into before the receiver? So that we can flip speakers on and off? Can a/v receivers do this on their own without a tv menu?

Thanks a ton!
This one has everything you listed. It will use the surround-back channels for zone 2.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

There may be a cheaper model in their line-up.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help!

I think the best option would be to go with the selector. In fact it will be perfect. Appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page