Believe it or not, there is one aspect of the cable debate not covered: Durability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Believe it or not, there is one aspect of the cable debate not covered: Durability

I agree that the argument regarding very expensive cables is a thoroughly beaten dead horse.

However, I have not seen the, what I call the "$700 vs $400" debate settled.

Also, no one really discusses longevity and durability issues that are very important when it comes to cabling.

Please allow me to explain.

Several years ago, I built my HT. Spent about $30k. It is the best $30k I have ever spent.

I spent $700 on my cabling, and was ridiculed, because I could have built my own for $400.

Most of my cabling was from RAM electronics. I have 9 large free standing speakers, and 6 18 inch subs. 5 Amps and several other components. I need a LOT of cabling.

A good amount of my front stage cables are exposed, so I went with some very good looking braided sleeves.

Ram use crimp sleeve "ferrules" on Canare 4S11 cables, and I went with their best connectors up front. My rear stage cabling was from another source, because I needed flat cables under my carpet. I went with connectors a step down from what I used up front.

3 years later, what have I discovered? First, with 2 dogs, one 7 year old son, a cleaning lady that has a gift for pulling my connections out, I am glad I have good quality connectors. Cheaper connectors would have needed complete replacement.

In the zillion cable debates, no one mentions durability. It is very important. Kids and dogs are....well kids and dogs. My cleaning lady gets the house spotless and moves furniture around. Furthermore, I have not even mentioned moving. Connector hell.

As mentioned above, The set up I spent $700 on could have been built for $400. Of course I would also spend on equipment, so lest say $450.

The problem is, when it comes to this kind of work, I suck. 2 left hands and easily frustrated are not a good combination. In my case, the extra $250 I spent was justified.

So, the question is, was I foolish for spending $700?

If we look at the durability and aesthetics of something I will be looking at for 20 more years, I think not.

I am most certainly not arguing that there is an audibly difference between $10K cables and less expensive cables. That "snake oil" has been settled, IMO.

Thoughtful feedback is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 01:59 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

3 years later, what have I discovered? First, with 2 dogs, one 7 year old son, a cleaning lady that has a gift for pulling my connections out, I am glad I have good quality connectors. Cheaper connectors would have needed complete replacement.
How do you know that?
post #3 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Also, no one really discusses longevity and durability issues that are very important when it comes to cabling.
Oh really? Click on this.
post #4 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Save $700.
Keep your child away from the A/V wires (no matter how much the cost).
What are two dogs doing around your A/V gear?
Clean yourself.

OTOH, for $700, you can purchase 40 years worth of cables from Monoprice.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #5 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I have often seen posts in cable debates that excuse aesthetics and durability. As long as the person knows this is why they are buying an expensive cable, that's fine. Art, style, and fashion have no price limits.

It's the junk science that is heavily used to sell the product that most of us in the "anti cable" camp have an issue with.
CruelInventions and mtn-tech like this.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Last edited by Glimmie; 08-22-2014 at 05:22 PM.
post #6 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Good plating, good strain relief, solid connectors, all essential, especially for pro use.

James D. (jj) Johnston
post #7 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

In the zillion cable debates, no one mentions durability.
I can only speak to the two most recent long-winded cable threads, but durability (quality of construction and connectors) was definitely mentioned, more than once.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #8 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
So, the question is, was I foolish for spending $700?
Probably. The best quality wire you can buy is no more than 50 cents a foot. The best quality connectors you can buy are no more than five bucks each. You can spend more, but it won't be any more durable, nor will it sound better. Besides, the best defense against damage is making sure neither cables nor connectors are accessible to anyone but yourself. Otherwise Murphy's Law trumps all.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_0001 View Post
Good plating, good strain relief, solid connectors, all essential, especially for pro use.
For home use... unless you have a lot of "make/break" activity, it's a waste IMHO.
post #10 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Just for the record, one interconnect in my current system came free with a cassette deck I purchased in 1978.

If it ever fails, I've got a few equally expensive replacements lying around.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #11 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
Oh really? Click on this.
Oh he irony: I actually was reading that thread, but only got half way through the 20 pages of lengthy posts.

You seem to also be unaware of the fact that the thread was closed.

Up to that point, the discussion was only about detectable sonic differences, and the "snake oil" effect. There was nothing to suggest that the durability issue was forthcoming. The thread was also closed. Even if there was something to suggest that the durability/asthetics issue would be addressed, there was no way I could have commented and or asked a question due to the shut down.

So, would you care to contribute to an extant issue, or just steer me towards dead ends?

Is it worth paying a bit more for connectors that will last longer, even if pulled out a few times?
post #12 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post
Just for the record, one interconnect in my current system came free with a cassette deck I purchased in 1978.
Fire the cleaning lady.
post #13 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Save $700.
Keep your child away from the A/V wires (no matter how much the cost).
What are two dogs doing around your A/V gear?
Clean yourself.

OTOH, for $700, you can purchase 40 years worth of cables from Monoprice.
There is no way to "save $700." I priced a DIY project and it would have costs $400, not including a crimper. I would have saved $250.

Good points. The problem is, my HT set up is in my living-room. At 7, my son knows that he needs to be careful, or I take away his TV/I Pad/computer privileges.

It is only recently that my dogs started squeezing them selves between my chairs. They are pitbulls, extremely strong and determined. The chairs can be packed together, and my female will poke her nose in, and then physically move the chairs. Even with my big fat 231 lb butt in them. My chairs cost almost as much as he HT (I love, love, love them). Hand made in the USA, thus they are not connected in the way most HT seating is. They come from the kitchen, through my rear stage, and through the chairs.

My male responded to a scolding, but not my female. The only solution, is to recline, and let her lay on my belly.

I was going to use Blue Jean, but really liked the Ram stuff. Beautiful. I must have at least 50 yards or wire. Also, as mentioned, I am exceptionally un-talented when it comes to making my own wire.

BTW, I can no longer afford a cleaning lady, lol.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 08-22-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #14 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Probably. The best quality wire you can buy is no more than 50 cents a foot. The best quality connectors you can buy are no more than five bucks each. You can spend more, but it won't be any more durable, nor will it sound better. Besides, the best defense against damage is making sure neither cables nor connectors are accessible to anyone but yourself. Otherwise Murphy's Law trumps all.
I think I need to emphasize a couple of points. 9 freestanding speakers, 6 18 in subs. A ton of other equipment, 10 pieces. I have a football fields worth of cabling.

Also, yes, I have really pretty braiding on my front stage. The price was reasonable IMO, because much is visible. I also have flat wiring under my carpets.

As I said, it could have been made by a DIY guy for $250-300 less.

I am going to close off the area behind my seating. Of course my female may well push that away too, and then my male will follow.

These are all testimony of the advantages of a dedicated basement set up, lol.
post #15 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 428
To "save" $250 but "spend" the time DIY-ing those cables is not worth the savings, IMO. The same reason I hire house painters, dry-wallers, etc.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #16 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you or anyone has a reason/justification to spend that money for cables... so be it.

I have two children for 34 years. I have two grandkids for 6 years. I had two granddogs (pit mix and mutt) and still have one bull/greyhound. None have messed with MY stuff.

You can't convince me.
quad4.0 likes this.
post #17 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

If it ever fails, I've got a few equally expensive replacements lying around.
I've had old RCA interconnects actually have the insulation crack and fall off. So you mileage may vary.

James D. (jj) Johnston
post #18 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_0001 View Post
I've had old RCA interconnects actually have the insulation crack and fall off. So you mileage may vary.
Yeah... but if the interconnects lasted for 30+ years and were included with the purchase of the cassette deck, you got your money's worth.
post #19 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 282
In my use of dirt cheap or free interconnects I'd estimate <5% fail, due to one reason or another, in a decade of typical living room use. [pro situations with constant connecting/disconnecting is another matter]

As a retailer of fancy interconnects for many years I can tell you I've seen more than one instance of a "turbine connector" [RCA plug with too much grip force] completely yank out a jack pack from the back of a component because the customer pulled too aggressively without any twisting, in the right direction, while removing it.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #20 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
However, I have not seen the, what I call the "$700 vs $400" debate settled.

Several years ago, I built my HT. Spent about $30k. It is the best $30k I have ever spent.

I spent $700 on my cabling, and was ridiculed, because I could have built my own for $400.

Well, I feel for you here as the argument now is over buy or build your own. That to me is really a silly discussion. Lot of personal reasons to not build your own, no matter what.
As to the price of all those cables, seeing your setups etc, seems reasonable, 2.3% of total.
Certainly not even low cost jewelry cables.

By the way, perhaps you should have asked those ridiculing you to do it for you at that price and expected outcome.
post #21 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... They are pitbulls, ...l.
Well, here I would have difficulty with you.
post #22 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
To "save" $250 but "spend" the time DIY-ing those cables is not worth the savings, IMO. The same reason I hire house painters, dry-wallers, etc.
Yes, but, who would have paid him for that saved time anyhow? I am still looking for that time bank so I can do something useful with all those minutes I keep saving here and there.
post #23 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I don't know about him, but I work 14 per day minimum, sometimes 7 days a week. When I have free time, I'd rather have that time to be free rather than doing more work. One calibration is more than enough to cover the difference between DIY vs purchase.
D1g1talV3n0m likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #24 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
I think I need to emphasize a couple of points. 9 freestanding speakers, 6 18 in subs. A ton of other equipment, 10 pieces. I have a football fields worth of cabling.

Also, yes, I have really pretty braiding on my front stage. The price was reasonable IMO, because much is visible. I also have flat wiring under my carpets.
Fine, but in that case your reasons for spending that kind of money have nothing to do with durability, which you could have had for a whole lot less.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #25 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Well, I feel for you here as the argument now is over buy or build your own. That to me is really a silly discussion. Lot of personal reasons to not build your own, no matter what.
As to the price of all those cables, seeing your setups etc, seems reasonable, 2.3% of total.
Certainly not even low cost jewelry cables.

By the way, perhaps you should have asked those ridiculing you to do it for you at that price and expected outcome.
I did!

There was a huge DIY thread started by a guy who built his own cables, and in that thread, several others built theirs'. They were very nice looking, also, nice sleeving like my front stage cables. That thread was what enabled me to estimate a DIY job of $400 to replicate what I paid for the finished product. The consensus on that thread is that I wasted $250-300.

So, I asked if one of the guys who built their own could build mine for $150, which would put my cost at $550. There were no takers.

What has happened, I think, is a bit of a backlash. The consensus on this forum, one I agree with, is that these insanely expensive cables ($10k and up....madness) do not have any magical qualities even if fairly dust was sprinkled upon them.

But the backlash has gone too far, IMO. If you spend any more than 50 cents a foot, if you put nice looking sleeves on, and if you spend anymore than 4 dollars for a connect, you are drinking the cool aid.

As someone mentioned, 2.3% or so is not unreasonable.
post #26 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
If you or anyone has a reason/justification to spend that money for cables... so be it.

I have two children for 34 years. I have two grandkids for 6 years. I had two granddogs (pit mix and mutt) and still have one bull/greyhound. None have messed with MY stuff.

You can't convince me.
Where is your HT located?
post #27 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
The only solution is to recline

That's what I'm saying.
post #28 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
But the backlash has gone too far, IMO. If you spend any more than 50 cents a foot, if you put nice looking sleeves on, and if you spend anymore than 4 dollars for a connect, you are drinking the cool aid.
Not if you acknowledge that doing so won't make them sound any better, and that the only gains are cosmetic. If that's what you're into, fine. My wiring is all concealed, so what it looks like matters not a whit, nor will any child, dog or vacuum cleaner ever cause it any harm.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #29 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, obviously no need for pretty sleeves if concealed, but not an option with my set up.

WAF is good, because my wife watches more than I do.

And of course sound is not a variable, just looks and durability.

I did not mention, but my rear stage is behind my chairs. Chairs have been pushed back contacting the speakers a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Not if you acknowledge that doing so won't make them sound any better, and that the only gains are cosmetic. If that's what you're into, fine. My wiring is all concealed, so what it looks like matters not a whit, nor will any child, dog or vacuum cleaner ever cause it any harm.
post #30 of 64 Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Even if there was something to suggest that the durability/asthetics issue would be addressed,
I thought the title of this thread was about one aspect, durability. Has it grown to two now?
Quote:
Is it worth paying a bit more for connectors that will last longer, even if pulled out a few times?
All connectors I have didn't break even when I pulled them out quite a few times and they are commodity connectors. The answer to your question would be, yes, if you can't find cheaper ones.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page