AVS Forum banner

Connection issues with TV/Soundbar/BD Player

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mtn-tech 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm having some real connection issues at the moment. Some help would be great!

I have a Toshiba Regza 37XV555D TV, an LG 3530A soundbar and a BP640S LG BluRay Player (bought today!)

My issue is this...

The BD player only has coaxial out for sound.
My Soundbar only has two optical inputs and what looks like an rca in (says PORT IN next to it)
My TV has two optical connections and a host of others, so no problem there, except there is no coaxial connection.

My PS4 and my Sky Box are both connected to the soundbar via the optical cables. They work fine. My tv does not appear to have a coaxial connection.

My question is this...

Is there any way to connect the BluRay player to my soundbar for maximum audio effect? Can it be connected in a loop. From what I've read you can buy a coaxial to optical converter, but I wanted to explore all of the possibilities first.

Any help will be gratefully recieved!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Joe.

See less See more
#3 ·
Only problem with these converters is that not all of them support Dolby Digital audio output - some TVs when tuned to a channel that has 5.1 DD will output this via the optical digital audio output - if the converter doesn't support this format you will just get static.

If you really need a converter from the TV output, you probably need one that supports Dolby Digital:

FiiO D07 Multi-Channel TV Digital To Analog Converter, 20Hz-20KHz Frequency Response, Supports Dolby Digital/DTS/AC-3/MPEG-2, Powered via USB

#4 ·
The way that I've helped others connect their soundbar is like this: All source devices to the TV (HDMI preferred), and TV optical out to the soundbar optical in.

For you this would be:
- PS4 -> HDMI cable -> TV
- Sky Box -> HDMI cable -> TV
- Blu-Ray -> HDMI cable -> TV
- TV -> Optical Digital Audio -> Soundbar

Now you won't have to select the input device on your soundbar, when you change inputs on the TV the TV's optical digital audio output will follow. If this won't work for you, tell us why and maybe someone can help more.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's looking like I bought the wrong bluray player!

I have tried the suggestion mtn-tech, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. All devices are connected via hdmi with the tv connected to sound bar by optical and there is no sound from any of them through the sound bar...

Do I need to fiddle with any settings? Maybe on the TV?

Is there a cable that would connect the coax on bd player to any of the jacks on my TV.

I can always buy a converter, but it negates the saving I got on the bd player.

If you have any other suggestions, I'll be happy to try them out!

Thanks again,

Joe.

#10 ·
Oh - I really hate soundbars - those things are the worst!

Thank you for the pictures - I found the manual for your soundbar (and verified that it supports Dolby Digital) so I don't know why that wouldn't be working. You don't need to connect the coax from your Blu-Ray - the audio signal is contained in the HDMI cable along with the video.

I couldn't find the manual for your TV online (mine either!!!) so all I can tell you is what I see in the pictures - your TV has RCA Audio Out (fixed) - that should be able to plug into the soundbar's 3.5mm "Portable In" jack and that should work. Give it a try and I will try to check back tomorrow - hopefully you have a long enough RCA to 3.5mm adapter to try:

It would be preferable to use the optical input - that is how my Dad's Visio TV / Visio soundbar are connected and it works. Does any know if there is a reason that the TV wouldn't be outputting audio on the optical out for HDMI sources?

Reactions: joeninho
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.