Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Improving Center Channel Imaging

I've currently got my CC mounted above my 73" DLP on a (very sturdy, home-made) shelf, speaker is at about 5', angled down towards MLP and the bottom of the speaker is about 1/4 inch above the top of the TV. Speaker is a Klipsch RC64ii.

I've found that I can localize the voices and other content in the CC too well....it sounds like it's coming from above the TV (ack!) and not the center of the screen (preferred). I've tried angling the speaker up or down more to no avail. I don't really have the option of placing it below the TV at this time....unless I actually put the TV on the CC itself.

I know some AVRs have a center height adjustment to accomplish this (mine doesn't). Does anyone know how this works, does it adjust phase or speaker distance or something else? I've tried reversing the polarity on my CC, but it didn't do anything for the image.

Anything I can do in my AVR settings to improve CC imaging?

Thanks!

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Assuming your left and right speakers are well matched and are providing good imaging, the only thing I could suggest would be to try raising your left and right (and angling down) so they more closely match the center channel. It may improve it's blending in the system if it sounds more like your main L/R

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #3 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 153
My suggestion would be to sell your 73" DLP TV and go with a projector that uses an AT screen in order to have the ability to place the speakers behind the screen, all at ear height.

I also have a 73" Mitsubushi DLP TV and have it mounted up higher with my L+R and Center all mounted at ear height below the screen. It sounds ok this way, but, my setup will be changing as soon as I can find a decent, used projector in the $300 price range as I have built a dedicated theater room complete with a baffle wall, Seos mains, and quad MartySubs,

(Note: if anyone out there has a decent projector in the $300 and below price range, please PM me!)
post #4 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I've currently got my CC mounted above my 73" DLP on a (very sturdy, home-made) shelf, speaker is at about 5', angled down towards MLP and the bottom of the speaker is about 1/4 inch above the top of the TV. Speaker is a Klipsch RC64ii.

I've found that I can localize the voices and other content in the CC too well....it sounds like it's coming from above the TV (ack!) and not the center of the screen (preferred). I've tried angling the speaker up or down more to no avail. I don't really have the option of placing it below the TV at this time....unless I actually put the TV on the CC itself.

I know some AVRs have a center height adjustment to accomplish this (mine doesn't). Does anyone know how this works, does it adjust phase or speaker distance or something else? I've tried reversing the polarity on my CC, but it didn't do anything for the image.

Anything I can do in my AVR settings to improve CC imaging?
Not all center channel speakers are the same, especially in terms of localization.

I don't see make and model of what you have, but if its one of those MTM-on-its side models that could be part of your problem.

The AVR setting that might be the most helpful is the trim for the center channel speaker. Goose it! Crank in more dBs.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
My suggestion would be to sell your 73" DLP TV and go with a projector that uses an AT screen in order to have the ability to place the speakers behind the screen, all at ear height.

I also have a 73" Mitsubushi DLP TV and have it mounted up higher with my L+R and Center all mounted at ear height below the screen. It sounds ok this way, but, my setup will be changing as soon as I can find a decent, used projector in the $300 price range as I have built a dedicated theater room complete with a baffle wall, Seos mains, and quad MartySubs,

(Note: if anyone out there has a decent projector in the $300 and below price range, please PM me!)
Well, that's a great suggestion.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #6 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Not all center channel speakers are the same, especially in terms of localization.

I don't see make and model of what you have, but if its one of those MTM-on-its side models that could be part of your problem.

The AVR setting that might be the most helpful is the trim for the center channel speaker. Goose it! Crank in more dBs.
Model of my CC is in the OP as well as my sig.

Not sure what "MTM" is, but the RC64ii does lay on it's side.

I'll try bumping up the trim and will report back! Thanks Arny.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #7 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Model of my CC is in the OP as well as my sig.

Not sure what "MTM" is, but the RC64ii does lay on it's side.

I'll try bumping up the trim and will report back! Thanks Arny.
Here are two articles about center channel speaker design that I've found helpful:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...nnel-designs-1

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...hannel-designs

The other general comment is that reducing reflections that have long time delays associated with them can improve intelligibility of speech.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 689
You may have some adjustments in the setup menu that you don't know about. Navigate to the Dolby menu. Look for settings labeled "Dolby Center Width" "Panorama" and "Dimension". I had good luck with "Center Width" in PL2x when listening to music.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here are two articles about center channel speaker design that I've found helpful:

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...nnel-designs-1

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...hannel-designs

The other general comment is that reducing reflections that have long time delays associated with them can improve intelligibility of speech.
Yeah, taking a look at reflections is on my short list when it comes to REW. Finally got my bass sorted, so I can look at that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
You may have some adjustments in the setup menu that you don't know about. Navigate to the Dolby menu. Look for settings labeled "Dolby Center Width" "Panorama" and "Dimension". I had good luck with "Center Width" in PL2x when listening to music.
Yeah, my AVR has those settings for PL2x Music but not Movie.

Hmmm...just thinking out loud now....maybe I can get the settings for PL2x Music to sound good with movies.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #10 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
if its one of those MTM-on-its side models that could be part of your problem.
It's worse than that, it's an MMTMM. It does list two crossover frequencies to the tweeter, 1100 and 1400Hz, so apparently the outboard midbasses are crossed lower. The problem is that in a horizontal configuration they should be crossed no higher than 1 wavelength center to center. For the outboard drivers that would be about 480Hz, for the inboard about 950Hz.

OP, usually the placement of the center above or below, or even to the side, of the screen doesn't create any issues as your visual cues are telling you that the source is the middle of the screen, and visual cues tend to over-ride audio cues. You should only be aware of the center placement with your eyes closed. The poor horizontal dispersion of the RF64ii (caused by the incorrect crossover frequencies noted above) shouldn't cause the issues you have, but then again, they might. Rotate it to vertical, place it to one side of the screen temporarily, see it that helps.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Yeah, my AVR has those settings for PL2x Music but not Movie.

Hmmm...just thinking out loud now....maybe I can get the settings for PL2x Music to sound good with movies.
Can't hurt to try. If it sounds good, it's good.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
It's worse than that, it's an MMTMM. It does list two crossover frequencies to the tweeter, 1100 and 1400Hz, so apparently the outboard midbasses are crossed lower. The problem is that in a horizontal configuration they should be crossed no higher than 1 wavelength center to center. For the outboard drivers that would be about 480Hz, for the inboard about 950Hz.

OP, usually the placement of the center above or below, or even to the side, of the screen doesn't create any issues as your visual cues are telling you that the source is the middle of the screen, and visual cues tend to over-ride audio cues. You should only be aware of the center placement with your eyes closed. The poor horizontal dispersion of the RF64ii (caused by the incorrect crossover frequencies noted above) shouldn't cause the issues you have, but then again, they might. Rotate it to vertical, place it to one side of the screen temporarily, see it that helps.
Dang, and that sucker wasn't cheap!

I'll try it vertical like you said and let you know.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #13 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I know what you mean OP. I had a similar problem, my traditional center was quite inadequate compare to the L/R and the rest of the system. It was quite weak (5.5" woofer vs 8 inch for the L/R). If I bumped the trim, then it sounded tiny and "strained" if you will. Then, I added the smaller tower of the same series and voila, problem solved. I know you're not in a position to do this right now but if the opportunity ever present itself, go for it.

Does your AVR have the option of separate channel xover? If memory serve, I think it does.

post #14 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, my center is the biggest, baddest CC that Klipsch makes...ditto for my mains.

I can do a separate crossover for the CC....I have tried them all and it doesn't help with the issue.

It really is like Bill says....I only notice it when I'm "trying" to notice it. However, I've had AVRs in the past that I have been able to manipulate to put the center image dead center in the TV....they did have a width setting for the center image though. My current AVR does not.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #15 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^^
I think Pioneer has those options, could be wrong.

post #16 of 22 Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Alan, I have a similar issue to you, just upside-down - my CC is below TV... and yes, it's only noticeable if you're just listening and taking notice.

I agree that the only true way to sort this is with an acoustically transparent screen with the CC tweeter in-line (or very close to) with you L&R tweets...

I had given the CC a dB boost as Arnyk has suggested. Also, bear in mind, IF your AVR had/has? separate x-over for CC, then you will need to adjust the phase (aka distance) so it blends nicely with your subs and fronts around that x-over frequency...

TBH, cos my fronts image so darn well, I have my CC disabled which pushes all discrete CC signals to the fronts... I prefer this over the compromised MTM-type designs any day ...The compromise here is if you're sitting way off centre... depending on your speakers horizontal dispersion... Give it a go

After trying two different designs, 2-way MTM and 3-way W(T/M)W ...my centre is now just sitting there looking pretty

Last edited by GeekWave; 08-27-2014 at 02:52 AM. Reason: correction
post #17 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 186
Not helpful at all for the OP but for future reference it might help someone. My center was always too directional (mounted below my screen) and the best I could do is aim it well over my head which helped a bit but not much. At times watching a movie I would find myself staring at the floor as that is where the vocals appeared to be coming from.

One way or another I ran across Yamaha's Dialogue Lift...

Dialogue Lift raises the sound of dialogue from the center speaker to a position in the center of the screen. Newly developed Virtual Dialogue Lift achieves dialogue lift function even without the need for presence speakers.

In the beginning I used the Virtual Dialogue Lift where it sends the center to the surrounds as well and you can control to what extent. This worked great for the middle seats however in the outer seats it was directional to the side you were sitting in. I still found it worthwhile and using a "medium" setting overall the vocals felt grounded in the front stage.

Eventually I swapped my rear surrounds for presence speakers and I starting using Dialogue Lift. Where it sends (a reduced level of) the center to the presence speakers. This works fantastic in my installation. It spreads the dialogue across the screen and never sounds directional even while sitting in the outer seats.

For me this features alone trumps virtually any other receiver feature I have used and until I see another manufacturer implement something similar I'm stuck with Yamaha. I tried removing the center with other receivers and it was even more distracting with the vocals being so directional... sitting on the left of the screen and watching someone talking on the right and hearing them on the left... no thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	307E8C81E3424A13B486C8C298746E21_12005.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	232169  

| 
|
|
|
post #18 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Eventually I swapped my rear surrounds for presence speakers and I starting using Dialogue Lift. Where it sends (a reduced level of) the center to the presence speakers. This works fantastic in my installation. It spreads the dialogue across the screen and never sounds directional even while sitting in the outer seats.

For me this features alone trumps virtually any other receiver feature I have used and until I see another manufacturer implement something similar I'm stuck with Yamaha. I tried removing the center with other receivers and it was even more distracting with the vocals being so directional... sitting on the left of the screen and watching someone talking on the right and hearing them on the left... no thanks.
Cool to know re presence, I dont have the AVR for it... but interesting all the same.
Agree, using Fronts as centre wont work for anyone sitting too close to L or R speakers...
post #19 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can Yamaha's Dialogue Lift work in reverse (if your CC is mounted above the TV/screen)?

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #20 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can Yamaha's Dialogue Lift work in reverse (if your CC is mounted above the TV/screen)?
Yes - based on where the presence or surround speakers are located (their height). In theory it can "place them" anywhere between the two heights.

Let's say the center is 6' high and the presence speakers are 4' high. As you increase the setting in theory the lower the vocals would appear. Because the presence speakers would become louder. Of course you can only direct the sound so much before it becomes (too) directional.

Also, it tends to create a much larger area of sound which leans itself to be less directional in and of itself.

| 
|
|
|
post #21 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would guess then that the CC and presence speakers should be identical.....? Probably would be best I'm thinking.

AVR:

FL/R:

CC:

SUR:
SUB:
DISP:
post #22 of 22 Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would guess then that the CC and presence speakers should be identical.....?
I'm guessing ideally you'd want all of your speakers to be identical. I have old school Boston Acoustics from the same series all around and it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I did notice after I over shot the center (way over my head) the center sounded closer to the other speakers when I ran the EQ (pink noise?). I always thought it sounded different (by design) however now I think most of the difference was the center speaker's sound hitting and bouncing off the floor. Even when I had it pointed upwards towards the listening area.

| 
|
|
|
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page