Surround sound suddenly stopped working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry Surround sound suddenly stopped working

I have a Yamaha HTR-4065 setup for 5.1. Connected to it are a Roku 3, an ATV 3 and a Panasonic BR-Player.

I was watching the GoT BR and everything was working fine. Full sound from every speaker. Then I turned everything off. I came back several hours later to watch the next episode. The sound worked fine during the menus but as soon as the episode started there was no sound. Looking at the Signal Info on the receiver it shows that there is no signal. All of the alternate audio tracks work correctly. Assuming that it was a disc defect, I attempted to play the same episode I watched previously with the same result. No sound during the episode.

I then tried to watch something on Netflix on the Roku. The roku menus provided sound but as soon as I started playing anything there was no sound. If I changed the sound setting in Netflix to stereo the sound worked. Changing it back to 5.1, no sound.

If I attempt to watch the same thing on Netflix on the ATV, everything works. I get full 5.1 sound.

I have not changed any settings on the receiver or other devices, so I am unsure as to what the problem is. I have not done any updates either.

Does anyone know why my sound would suddenly stop working?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 45
As far as the blu ray goes you probably have to go back to the disc's set up pick audio and then the surround track. PITA but should work.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The receiver display should report the format of the audio coming from the sources. What does it show when you get audio on menus and does the format change when the program starts?

Did you inadvertently change the setup on the inputs from the sources that no longer work? Inputs are usually set to Auto so that they'll process whatever is being sent. But, if changed to a specific type, such as PCM, then other formats will be ignored.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
As far as the blu ray goes you probably have to go back to the disc's set up pick audio and then the surround track. PITA but should work.
I tried that with no success. All of the other tracks worked but the surround track did not. Every time I picked it I would get silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
The receiver display should report the format of the audio coming from the sources. What does it show when you get audio on menus and does the format change when the program starts?
The format does change when the program starts. I will double check everything and post the exact information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Did you inadvertently change the setup on the inputs from the sources that no longer work? Inputs are usually set to Auto so that they'll process whatever is being sent. But, if changed to a specific type, such as PCM, then other formats will be ignored.
AFAIK, no settings have been changed. This is what puzzles me the most about this. I watched an episode and it worked fine. I turned everything off. Then when I came back later in the day to watch another episode the sound wasn't working. I have looked at every sound option I can think of without finding anything of note.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Maybe it is confused.

When done for the day today/tonight pull the power plug and let it die and lie dead overnight.

Does it have a RESET or Restore to Factory Default menu item?

I'll be back later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> digits >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
>
>
and
>
post #6 of 11 Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

I would try what Ray suggested first. If that doesn't work try switching either the Roku or the BR player to whatever HDMI input the ATV is hooked up to since that's the only thing that works for you at this point. You could even try hooking up the ATV to whatever input the Roku is in now and see if that works in that input. Trying to narrow down what's not working, whether it's the receiver, HDMI cables or the units themselves. If everything works in that one HDMI input then try swapping out HDMI cables. Good luck.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
... This is what puzzles me the most about this. I watched an episode and it worked fine. I turned everything off. Then when I came back later in the day to watch another episode the sound wasn't working. I have looked at every sound option I can think of without finding anything of note.
If that episode that worked properly is still available to view again, I would try and see if it still works with that episode. Also, if the BR gives the proper surround, then you have issues with the service from some of the providers.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Maybe it is confused.

When done for the day today/tonight pull the power plug and let it die and lie dead overnight.

Does it have a RESET or Restore to Factory Default menu item?
I pulled the plug and let it sit overnight and amazingly enough it worked! Everything has returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the issue in the first place but it's fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I would try what Ray suggested first. If that doesn't work try switching either the Roku or the BR player to whatever HDMI input the ATV is hooked up to since that's the only thing that works for you at this point. You could even try hooking up the ATV to whatever input the Roku is in now and see if that works in that input. Trying to narrow down what's not working, whether it's the receiver, HDMI cables or the units themselves. If everything works in that one HDMI input then try swapping out HDMI cables. Good luck.
If the cables were the issue wouldn't I get no sound at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
If that episode that worked properly is still available to view again, I would try and see if it still works with that episode. Also, if the BR gives the proper surround, then you have issues with the service from some of the providers.
I had tried the previous episode already because I suspected that the disc might have been damaged. But it didn't work either. And the episodes were on the BR which was where the sound stopped working in the first place.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I pulled the plug and let it sit overnight and amazingly enough it worked! Everything has returned to normal. I have no idea what caused the issue in the first place but it's fixed now.

If the cables were the issue wouldn't I get no sound at all?

I had tried the previous episode already because I suspected that the disc might have been damaged. But it didn't work either. And the episodes were on the BR which was where the sound stopped working in the first place.
Glad everything is working now. Check your receiver's warranty. If it happens again you may want to replace it.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
I pulled the plug and let it sit overnight and amazingly enough it worked! Everything has returned to normal.
Your receiver is a computer, and sometimes computers get 'confused' and need to be re-booted. Some receivers will re-boot if you just unplug them momentarily, but some need to be left unplugged overnight to allow capacitors that hold a charge to bleed down.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Advanced Troubleshooting Methods and Techniques for the 21st Century (and beyond!)

Is it plugged in?

No - Well, plug it in

Yes - Well, unplug it

(repeat as required)

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page