Small speakers in large room setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Small speakers in large room setup

Recently bought 3 speakers for really good price. Boston Acoustics Classic II CS 23 and CS225C II. Never have passive speakers before (or good speakers), so not sure how to set this up for optimize quality. My current setup is on the right of the picture below. Computer hookup to TV and Eletric Piano. Both piano and TV have built in speakers, so I currently just use those. It's mainly used for videos and music. No gaming.

The entertainment center is in a large room, about 400 sq ft, and the living area is to the left of the PC, and the the dining area is to the right. Which mean, no one is sitting directly in front of the TV, except for the person playing the piano (does not happen often). TV and piano speakers are not great.

Constraints:
-Money! Lack of. Need to be within $50. I have some good 12 gauge wire, and can do my own soldering. Don't know if they help.
-The Boston bookshelf 3-1/2 inch speakers have very weak bass. Only goes down to 120 Hz. No money for sub-woofer.
-Speaker cannot be place in the middle of piano, because of the music rack.

Nothing has been set up yet.

I can't find cheap amplifier for 3 channel, so I am thinking of using the center speaker else where. Like the picture below. Use Lepai LP-2020A+, which cost ~$20. The problem is very weak bass. Not good enough for piano, which go down to 20Hz. I don't want to use the piano speaker anymore.

Another setup I am thinking of is like this. Put a shelf next to piano to use all three speakers. The living area is to the left anyway. Can't find good and cheap 3 ch amp. I see some 3 ch amplifier's 3rd channel is used for sub-woofer. Can I connect the center speaker to that channel.

I don't know what I'm doing, and nothing is settle yet. What is the best way to optimize this setup. PC is using Soundmax Integrated Digital HD Audio. Do I need a better sound card? All advice/recommendation is greatly appreciated! TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Some AVR will be recommended by someone shortly for inexpensive amplification beyond two channels.

Check back soon...

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Ideally, you need an avr. Look at accessories4less, you should be able to find something for as little as $100. As far as 20hz from your piano, the only way you'll get that is via a subwoofer.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I use an aux splitter, and use two Lepai LP-2020A+ to power 3 speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page