AVS Forum banner

What Are Your Questions About Dolby Atmos?

Tags
frontpage
15K views 196 replies 64 participants last post by  sdurani 
#1 · (Edited)

Home Theater Geeks will feature two tech wizards from Dolby talking about Atmos for the home; post your questions here!

There has been a lot of discussion about Dolby Atmos 3D audio for home theaters here on AVS Forum, and many questions have been raised and answered. But many questions remain, along with a fair amount of misinformation. To help answer these questions and dispel any misconceptions, this week's Home Theater Geeks podcast will feature Brett Crockett and Craig Eggers, two leaders of the team that brought Dolby Atmos to the home. You can tune in live on Thursday, September 4, 2014, from 2:30 to 3:30 PM Pacific time at live.twit.tv, and you can join the chat room there or at irc.twit.tv, which I'll be monitoring during the show for questions.

If you can't make it for the live show, I invite you to post any questions you might have about Dolby Atmos in this thread, and I'll pass along as many as I can. It should be a fascinating—and illuminating—conversation!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Q1--when more than 1 speaker is deployed on the left (right) side wall, not "wides", will left (right) side "channel" information be sent to those multiple speakers as an array?

Q2--when more than 1 speaker is deployed on the left (right) side of the back wall, will left (right) back side "channel" information be sent to those multiple speakers as an array?

Q3--when more than 1 speaker is deployed on the left (right) side ceiling, will left (right) side top "channel" information be sent to those multiple speakers as an array?

Edit: this all assumes an Atmos unit that has the flexibility for such speaker deployment, E.G. Trinnov Altitude 32. I realize some existing mainstream units are already able to deploy more speakers than "channels" for the ceiling.

#4 ·
I've posted this before in another Dolby Atmos thread but there has been no answer in any of Dolby's technical documents. For a single row of seating, Dolby recommends a set of ceiling speakers 2-3 feet forward of the main listening position and a 2-3 feet behind the main listening position. However, there is currently no residential recommendation for when there are two rows of seats.

For two rows of seating, should there be six ceiling speakers? i.e. A pair just forward of the first row of seating; a pair just behind the first row of seating and just forward of the second row of seating; and a third pair just behind the second row of seating?

What is the optimal separation (in degrees) between the side (or rear) channel speaker and the corresponding ceiling speaker?

When will 11.1.6 discrete Atmos processors similar to the current commercial processing be available??

#37 · (Edited)
When will 11.1.6 discrete Atmos processors similar to the current commercial processing be available??
Hello,

My HT is now ready for Dolby Atmos (pending firmware update & shipment of Atmos enabled speakers to place on top of my current speakers)

Will software be available in the near future for those of us who've invested so much to add the Dolby Atmos to our favorite movies in our media libraries?
When exactly (which date) are we going to get Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray movies?
...And how many more soon afterwards?
Scott & users, I have 4 content related questions:

1. Will some of the Dolby Atmos content coming to bluray also be graded for Dolby Vision HDR? Or will that be exclusively a 4k feature that will require 4k discs?

2. I'm guessing this might be a "we can't answer that" question... but if not: Has the bluray disc association been in contact with Dolby about utilizing dolby Atmos as a 4k disc spec?

3. Are there plans to provide an Atmos mix to other *older* high profile titles for bluray release which weren't released with Atmos mixes in the theater? (for example; Avatar, Star Wars original trilogy & Prequels, or perhaps old classics like Kubrick, etc, etc, etc).

4. This question other forum users might be able to answer:I remember seeing a list of Dolby Atmos bluray releases coming this fall, I've been unable to find it recently... was that removed or does anyone know where it is? (unless if all atmos mixed films will be released on Bluray?)

Ty Scott & all AVS forum users... I've learned a lot in the short time since I've joined this site. Look forwards to this week's home theater geeks!
how soon dolby atmos blu ray will become available? Can OPPO 103 accept dolby atmos blu ray dics, maybe firmware update?

All great questions but really these aren't to be directed at Dolby.

Dolby has provided the technology: Dolby Atmos.

It's up to the studios to incorporate this technology into their home video division.

#6 ·
Hello,

My HT is now ready for Dolby Atmos (pending firmware update & shipment of Atmos enabled speakers to place on top of my current speakers)

Will software be available in the near future for those of us who've invested so much to add the Dolby Atmos to our favorite movies in our media libraries?

#8 ·
Scott,

At the Dolby presser we AVS members attended in August, while discussing objects vs channel beds I asked the following question:

If I buy a Trinnov Altitude32 and place 24 speakers around me, as per home Atmos spec, how many of those speakers will play back the 7 bed channels (i.e., "objects that don't move", as they referred to it)? Is it only 7 of those speakers, leaving the other 17 for object pan-throughs?

When I asked that question, Brett said "I'll have to get back to you on that". Could you find out if he has an answer for that yet?

Same question, but for the 2 height beds:

If I place 10 speakers overhead, as per home Atmos spec, how many of those speakers will be playing back the 2 height beds? All of them, like an array, or only 2 out of the 10?

#9 ·
I'm very excited about Atmos encoded BluRay movies. However I'm really curious about the possibilities of Atmos used in video games. Has Dolby reached out
to game developers and console makers (Microsoft & Sony)? Atmos used in a future Halo or Call of Duty
would be amazing.

#10 ·
With 7 foot ceilings, what is the best option for atmos? In the ceiling (flush mounted), or the add on speakers?
My fear is the answer is that atmos wont work well in my 7ft ceiling theater room.

#11 ·
Scott & users, I have 4 content related questions:

1. Will some of the Dolby Atmos content coming to bluray also be graded for Dolby Vision HDR? Or will that be exclusively a 4k feature that will require 4k discs?

2. I'm guessing this might be a "we can't answer that" question... but if not: Has the bluray disc association been in contact with Dolby about utilizing dolby Atmos as a 4k disc spec?

3. Are there plans to provide an Atmos mix to other *older* high profile titles for bluray release which weren't released with Atmos mixes in the theater? (for example; Avatar, Star Wars original trilogy & Prequels, or perhaps old classics like Kubrick, etc, etc, etc).

4. This question other forum users might be able to answer:I remember seeing a list of Dolby Atmos bluray releases coming this fall, I've been unable to find it recently... was that removed or does anyone know where it is? (unless if all atmos mixed films will be released on Bluray?)

Ty Scott & all AVS forum users... I've learned a lot in the short time since I've joined this site. Look forwards to this week's home theater geeks!

#12 ·
I have 13 feet between my front speakers and Main Listening Position, but only 7 between MLP and rear surrounds. Should I place the top fronts the same distance from MLP as the top rears from MLP so they are uniform in distance from MLP? Or put the top fronts closer to the front speakers?

Reactions: grtuck
#13 ·
To be bipolar or not to be bipolar, that is the question. Are direct firing speakers the best for Atmos, or will it be just fine to use bipolar/dipolar speakers as surrounds, as many of us have these in our current setups...??

Reactions: Rumble Devo
#15 ·
I have one question.

I've never heard Atmos in an HT or at the theaters. What I would really like to know is how is Atmos really better over other similar types of surround modes such as DTS-NeoX?

Let's say you did not include any height channels, and just used a 7.1 setup. And you took an Atmos AVR, and played an Atmos encoded blu ray. And you watched the movie in DTS-NeoX (my favorite surround mode). And then you watched it again, but this time in Atmos. Would the Atmos mode be that big of an improvement over something else, even if you didn't have any heights at all?

I'm interested in Atmos, and I can easily do a 7.1.4 setup, but I'm just wondering if Atmos really does sound that much better to have to go through the hassle of having to buy a new AVR, and changing my setup around.

I'd love to hear of someone doing a Pepsi challenge with Atmos over say DTS-NeoX for example.

#16 ·
It is quite a leap from 5.1/7.1 or whatever. I saw "into the storm" where at the start you are inside a small car... it literally sounds like the rain his hitting the roof like 2 feet over your head. NO question about it, that sound is there, and it sounds like physical objects being made in space.They did a great job with rain effects in that film... The 5.1 setup wouldn't beable to do anything like it.

Some theaters don't have them installed or calibrated properly, I go to two theaters both which have Atmos Screens, I've only gotten Atmos sound out of one of em... might take a try or two.

#18 ·
Q1: Same as User TMcG -- What are the recommendations for those with multiple rows? I am currently planning on 7.1.4 with in-ceiling/on-ceiling for the Atmos speakers. Am I wrong to place front overheads 3 feet from MLP in front row and the rear overheads way back at 3 feet behind my last row which is behind 2nd row and rear bar seating?

Q2: Does a soffit around the perimeter of the theater like many AVSers have prevent using in-ceiling/on-ceiling speakers? Does it prevent use of up-firing surrounds?

Q3: What are the options for someone with in-wall surrounds?

Q4: If I choose Atmos-enabled up-firing front L/R speakers, will they effectively work behind an AT screen?

#27 ·
Q4: If I choose Atmos-enabled up-firing front L/R speakers, will they effectively work behind an AT screen?
This is a good question that I haven't seen before. I'm not sure if Dolby could answer it without digging into the specs of the particular acoustically transparent screen being used. Usually, when placing speakers behind an AT screen, the center of the drivers is aimed perpendicular to the screen or, at most, at 30 degree angle in order to face the MLP. With an upfiring driver, we're looking at something around 45 to 60 degrees. I imagine that the permeability of the screen would decrease as the angle increases. However, since typical front and center channels can still have good dispersion when placed behind an AT screen, and because upfiring drivers are fairly directional, this might not be an issue.

You certainly would have to be conscious of whether or not the frame for your screen or any masking you might apply above the viewing area would interfere with the sound from the upfiring drivers reaching the ceiling.

#21 ·
It seems the current choices in speaker setup for Atmos are flushmount in-ceiling speakers or a reflective setup with ground speakers. Can I use speakers mounted high in my columns pointed downwards? Or are these too far away from the ideal ceiling position?

#25 ·
This depends on the height of the speaker above ear level and the horizontal distance from the listener to the speaker. As long as the height above ear level is equal to or greater than the horizontal distance from the listener to the speaker then you should get a convincing overhead effect. As the ratio between those two distances decreases, so does the impact of the effect. For example, if your room is 12 feet wide from wall to wall (or column to column, if using columns) and has a 10 foot ceiling height then the horizontal distance from the MPL to the side wall (or column) would be approx. 6 feet (half of the 12 feet) and the ceiling would be about 6 feet 4 inches above ear level (assuming ear level, when seated, is approx. 3 feet 8 inches off the floor). This should enable you to mount your speakers at the top of the wall/column and maintain a 1:1 ratio, or 45 degree angle from ear level up to the speaker. Note that if your room is wider than it is long then you could potentially achieve the same angle by mounting the speakers up high on the front and back walls as opposed to the side walls.

#23 ·
I know that for the 'Atmos enabled' speakers and add-on modules that Dolby has certain criteria to meet for the top mounted speaker like angle, frequency response, etc. My question is: for those of us wanting to install in-ceiling models instead, are there also specific Dolby criterion for these as well (and if so, what are they) or will pretty much any in-ceiling speaker be fine?

If this has already been answered, then could someone please point the way. The 'Home Dolby Atmos' thread is huge now and it is getting much more difficult to find specific info.

#24 ·
Same questions for me.

It seems that the Atmos enabled commercial theater I attended had only one ceiling launch position which seemed to be a circular array of sorts mounted perhaps 1/4 length of the hall from the screen. This was not flush mounted.

On a treated ceiling would two non flush mounted omni type speakers work well. These are academic questions as I have zero intentions of installing ceiling speakers in my acoustically treated ceiling and my existing front speakers fly.

#28 ·
Why is the home version of Atmos less than 128 simultaneous objects? Is it due to the lack of capacity/disk space on Blu-Rays or other reasons? If the new method to deliver surround sound audio is truly channel-independent then it should mean we get the same copy/clone of the spec as theatrical vs. home since the entire design from the ground up is to be "room-blind" and "setup-blind" that it can go into any system and deliver the equivalent experience without resorting to traditional mixes where you have to target theatrical/commercial room size surround sound mix vs. home surround sound mix. That is the most puzzling aspect as I've been reading over the white papers and other information from "insiders".

#158 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.