Regular bookshelves vs dipolar type side surrounds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Regular bookshelves vs dipolar type side surrounds?

I'll try to make this as short as I can.

For years I've had a Klipsch surround system, and have always used RS-7's( http://www.klipsch.com/rs-7-surround-speaker/details ) as surrounds, which are a dipolar type speaker. I'm upgrading to Klipsch Pro Audio, with KPT-904s ( http://www.klipsch.com/KPT-904-M ) as my front 3 channels. I ended up with an extra set of 904s I can use as surrounds, or sell. These are huge speakers to use as surrounds, but I have plenty of room width in the new theater room. Until I ended up with this pair, I was planning to use KPT-12-VB's ( http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-12-vb ) as the surrounds, which are kind of the same dipolar principal as the RS-7s, where as the 904s would be like giant bookshelves I think.

Thing is, I recently sold my RS-7s(to raise money for 904s), and have been using bookshelf speakers as surrounds in the mean time, and part of me likes the sound better. It feels more localized. The RS-7s dispersed the sound so well you couldn't usually tell where the sound was coming from, which in my opinion seems to kind of lessen the surround experience. Am I right, or will I come to miss the old style sound?

BTW this will be a 7.2 system... though I'm prewiring for Dolby Amos.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Although the Klipsch web site doesn't specifically say so, I don't believe that those surround speakers are Dipoles - two highly directional horn drivers and a single woofer pointed at the listener (and a crossover frequency of 2kHz) - only the high frequency sound could be out of phase.

More likely they are a large angle baffle Bipole - which is a lot closer to a direct radiator than a true Dipole (which has no direct sound from the speaker). Many people prefer direct radiators as surrounds - especially for multi-channel music. There is no right or wrong, it is really a matter of personal preference. If you like direct radiators for surrounds then go for it.

Are you placing them 3 feet above the seated listeners ears?

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #3 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
That's the plan yes, I can build a stand to raise them, the horn can be turned and angled downward toward the prime listening position as well. Ultimately if their good I'll build a column around them, with speaker grill cloth floor to ceiling.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #4 of 4 Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
There is no right or wrong when it comes to surround speakers. Some like the Direct sound from traditional speakers while others prefer the diffuse sound from di-/bipolar speakers. Do what suits you.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page