Speaker wire with Adapter Jack or Longer Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat > Speaker wire with Adapter Jack or Longer Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable

Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

sndille1's Avatar sndille1
03:50 PM Liked: 1
post #1 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 2014
I am in need of advice and hopefully an explanation on the reason so I can be better educated on the Science of Sound. Should I use Speaker Wire cable to Audio Male RCA Connector Adapter Jack Plug or buy longer Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable for my current speaker configuration.

I have an old KLH model 20 with the Model 20 speakers. I know its not high end but its old vintage and looks and sounds great and it was free. If you can give me advice on how to set this up the best possible way please do.

Thank you in advance
Attached: unnamed.jpg (13.2 KB)  unnamed (1).jpg (9.2 KB)  unnamed (2).jpg (31.5 KB)  unnamed (3).jpg (9.5 KB)  unnamed (4).jpg (10.5 KB) 
RayDunzl's Avatar RayDunzl
04:15 PM Liked: 733
post #2 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 1,513
Joined: Sep 2013
Looks like you're good to me.

Working as Designed.

15w/channel, 4ohm speakers

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1131431...tage-klh-model
audio2xs
04:22 PM Liked: 123
post #3 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 635
Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndille1 View Post
I am in need of advice and hopefully an explanation on the reason so I can be better educated on the Science of Sound. Should I use Speaker Wire cable to Audio Male RCA Connector Adapter Jack Plug or buy longer Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable for my current speaker configuration.

I have an old KLH model 20 with the Model 20 speakers. I know its not high end but its old vintage and looks and sounds great and it was free. If you can give me advice on how to set this up the best possible way please do.

Thank you in advance
You can do either, whatever is more convenient. I assume you wanted longer wires than what you're using? If not, what you've done is fine.
sndille1's Avatar sndille1
05:20 PM Liked: 1
post #4 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 2014
Yes sorry I did not explain that clearly. Since I have moved my speaker configuration has had to change to get wife approval and I need a longer wire for the right speaker.

Does sound quality differ between rca type wire and traditional speaker wire?

I am certain the speakers need rebuilt just due to age and the capacitors. Luckily they are cloth suspension speakers and not foam so I read they are easier to do for a entry level rebuild.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie
05:22 PM Liked: 271
post #5 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 8,060
Joined: Sep 2000
CL2 is a commercial fire rating that deals with toxic smoke emissions from burning cable insulation.

It has nothing to do with electrical properties.

If the cable is loose in a room, then CL2 is not required. If buried inside a wall, local electrical codes take precedent. In some areas residential usage does not require a CLx rating.

In any event for what you are doing CL2 cable is of no benefit. And you may find the CL2 rated cable stiffer and less attractive aesthetically.
sndille1's Avatar sndille1
05:30 PM Liked: 1
post #6 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 2014
What about the sound quality between rca and speaker wire. I have cut ends off of rca scrap wire to recycle in the past and the wire is very tiny compared to speaker wire.

Would wire gauge have any play on my current set up?
audio2xs
05:34 PM Liked: 123
post #7 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 635
Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndille1 View Post
What about the sound quality between rca and speaker wire. I have cut ends off of rca scrap wire to recycle in the past and the wire is very tiny compared to speaker wire.

Would wire gauge have any play on my current set up?
How long are your wires?
sndille1's Avatar sndille1
05:36 PM Liked: 1
post #8 of 10
10-19-2014 | Posts: 5
Joined: Oct 2014
I would be at about 12-15 foot to the right speaker to put it where I need it.
DonH50's Avatar DonH50
07:15 AM Liked: 324
post #9 of 10
10-20-2014 | Posts: 6,485
Joined: Feb 2010
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

For more: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
audio2xs
07:35 AM Liked: 123
post #10 of 10
10-20-2014 | Posts: 635
Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndille1 View Post
I would be at about 12-15 foot to the right speaker to put it where I need it.
Should be fine with either.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3