Poor performance with dialogue parts in Bluray movies. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tezster
  • 1 Post By Alan P

post #1 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Poor performance with dialogue parts in Bluray movies.

I've had my system for awhile, it uses a Yamaha suuround receiver and Panasonic Bluray player. This goes out toSambridhe soundworks surrounds in back and Paradigm atoms and a CC-270 paradigm central speaker.
What I used to do with my older receiver was have my tv speakers on while I was playing a blu ray, so I got some help with speaking parts in movies with the tv speakers.
Trouble now is If I try and do that my tv speakers either don't work while playing a blu ray or depending on how I have it set up the Dolby digital doesn't work.
When the tv speakers and surround system do work together, there out of sync somehow, and despite all the fiddling I do with setups it always is out of sync.
When I have the Dolby digital working correctly I can't always hear the dialogue in the movies very well. I do have the CC-270 in back of the 40" LCD set though, because its all the room I have. I tried changing the output through the Yamaha setup, but then when I listen to audio CD's the soundstage isn't right, although lately I'm finding I like to listen to music with just stereo and forget the surround sound, so that might be an option as well.
Could anyone give me some advice on how to cure this somehow ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 07:37 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
Could anyone give me some advice on how to cure this somehow ?
I would stop using the TV speakers and the ARC. Set the system up properly and it will likely operate properly.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth
... I can't always hear the dialogue in the movies very well. I do have the CC-270 in back of the 40" LCD set ...
Find a way to get the center channel speaker:
- in front of the TV; or
- underneath the TV (using some sort of shelf/box unit to support the TV above it).

post #4 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Stop using the TV speakers and ARC ? What is ARC ?Also the system was setup as properly as it could using the Yamaha microphone and setup program. I also used a calibrated sound meter to help as well.
The funny part is, the TV and central speaker are only about 4 or five feet away from where we sit, so the sound setup program actually has me decreasing the level of the center speaker.
The CC-270 is a great center speaker, bit it is rather large, would a smaller thinner one be better and still give me the same sound?
Maybe a recommendation for a thinner one for under the display ? I'll try and find a way to get the one I have up front, but I just don't think its possible.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 63
keep your center channel, but move it where it's unobstructed.

and unless it's a 5.1 mix, music will probably sound better in just stereo.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 213
There's nothing wrong with using ARC. To answer your question, it's used to passed audio back to the receiver from the TV. let's say you use the Netflix app on your TV. It sends the audio back to the receiver.

I'd suggest you do something first. Use the test on the Yamaha remote to test all of your speakers. That could be a problem. Make sure they're connected properly. You also want to make sure that when watching TV movies you're in some type of sound mode that uses the center channel. Sometimes people are in stereo when they think they aren't.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-12-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Is ARC an acronym for something? BTW the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V757 and Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray player.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-13-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
Is ARC an acronym for something? BTW the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V757 and Panasonic DMP-BD85 Blu-Ray player.
I believe ARC is for Audio Return Channel.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-13-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quit trying to play the TV speakers along with your surround setup. Center channel speaker (which is for dialog) behind your TV is pretty much a waste. Find a way to address the elephant in the room and get your center speaker to where it belongs.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-14-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Does your receiver have an audio delay or lip sync feature? If it does, you can use that to sync the voices, but more importantly, I think the bigger issue here is that your center channel is inferior to your tv speakers since you seem to need to use your tv for dialogue. If placement is such an issue, then I wouldn't use a center channel and do the best you can to create a phantom center by positioning your left and right speakers so that voices appear to be coming from the center while still hearing the different sound effects to the left and right speaker.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-15-2014, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

I looked at the possibility of moving my center channel speaker, and theres just no way to get it in front of mt LCD panel. Now this is the one I currently have the Paradigm CC-270.
Are there any smaller skinnier ones I could put below my LCD Panel that work fairly well ? My Front speakers are mounted on the wall, so moving them isn't a possibility
So a smaller center channel speaker would probably do it, anyone have suggestions ?
post #12 of 14 Old 12-15-2014, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 400
If possible, I would look at placing your center channel on a wall shelf above your TV, angled downwards towards the listening position.
sage11x likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
What exactly do you mean when you say your CC is "behind" your TV? Do you mean that the front of the speaker is further back than the front of the TV...or do you mean the speaker is literally behind the TV??

I agree with @teckademic , you should use a phantom center (tell your AVR that you have no center speaker). The center channel info will then be sent to your left/right speakers and with proper speaker placement and/or adjusting your listening position, you should be able to get a phantom center image that sounds like the dialogue is coming from the center of the TV.

Of course, this usually only works for one seating position.
sage11x likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
I'm 2 channel, so no center channel, 'phantom' center only.

Maybe I'm not adequately persnickety about about video sound, but it's certainly intelligible and my brain makes the sound come from from a place close enough to the action to make any placement deficiencies a non-issue here at Neverland East.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page