New RX + HTIB Speakers Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy New RX + HTIB Speakers Setup

I will preface this with I am a complete audio newb.

I have a Panasonic SC-HT920 that sounds great. My setup used the two towers, center, and sub; HTPC (Optical audio from HTPC to Panasonic Main); and Plasma (HDMI from HTPC to TV). My optical audio was the default listening device on the HTPC (so no sound through the TV). That was fine because we never use the TV without also the HTIB. I also liked this setup because I could turn off the TV and still listen to the audio from the HTPC (from Pandora, etc).

After never using the 5 disc changer, being ready for an upgrade, and tired of the long main unit on the Panasonic, I purchased the Yamaha V675 this past December. I also purchased a BIC America F12 after learning the difference between powered and passive sub.

I finally received everything last night and hooked it all up... and it sounds terrible. Everything. I'm barely hearing any base from the sub. The center speaker sounds super loud (like annoying loud "tweeter" sound from auto speakers. The two towers barely output a whisper. My connections are HTPC HDMI to RX HDMI 1, RX HDMI Out to TV HDMI.

I'm looking for some guidance or direction. I suspect I have multiple issues. So far I've been able to figure out that HTIB systems [require?] different Ohms than what RX put out. I don't know exactly what this means other than it could burn up the RX at high volume levels.[?] What else do I need to read up on to educate myself? I would Google and search these forums more, but at this point I don't know what I don't know...

Thank you in advance. I tried to add links for convenience.. but no go because of post limits...

Panasonic SC-HT920 - newegg DOT com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103119
Yamaha V675 - amazon DOT com/Yamaha-RX-V675-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00B981F1U
BIC America F12 - amazon DOT com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Probably an issue with your speakers or their connection, but really the HTiB speakers are never going to sound good.

Speakers are the most important component in your system and it sounds like you've upgraded everything but.

As for your sub (which is good) - what mode is your receiver in, what is your HTPC set to output? If the receiver is in a mode like Direct Mode it wont output anything to the sub unless its a discrete LFE channel input, otherwise it should send everything below your crossover frequency to the sub.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
htib , sc-ht920 , setup , yamaha 675
Gear in this thread - sc-ht920 by PriceGrabber.com