Will a torrented blu Ray file have the same quality as a blu Ray disc? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1 of 57 Old 07-17-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Will a torrented blu Ray file have the same quality as a blu Ray disc?

Whenever we go up to my parents cabin we always watch a movie with my projector. However they have slow Internet speed so we can't really stream a movie. Redbox is usually limited so we don't rent a movie from there. My question is if I download a torrented Blu-ray file ( don't worry, I find a way to give back to society) and stream that from my iPad to the Apple TV, does this impact the sound or video?

The file that I download is usually anywhere between 7 and 9 GB and it always says DTS audio or true HD. I guess I'm just not sure if playing it from my iPad to the Apple TV is changing any of the quality. Thanks and hope to hear some answers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 07-17-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I thought the max audio quality you could get
From iPad to AppleTv was just Dolby digital.
(Lossy) I could be mistaken though?

Anthem MRX-300-Outlaw Audio M2200
Rythmik F12 subs
Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)
Assassin HTPC (movies)
post #3 of 57 Old 07-17-2015, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
I thought the max audio quality you could get
From iPad to AppleTv was just Dolby digital.
(Lossy) I could be mistaken though?
You could be absolutely right. All I'm saying is that the file says lossless audio format, and I guess I'm just not sure if that translates into when I stream at the AppleTV. If not the audio, what about the video?
post #4 of 57 Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
You could be absolutely right. All I'm saying is that the file says lossless audio format, and I guess I'm just not sure if that translates into when I stream at the AppleTV. If not the audio, what about the video?
Blu-ray movies are about 14GB / hour at full bitrate quality.
post #5 of 57 Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Not he quality is not the same. It should be obvious since you're downloading a 9GB file while the original Blu Ray will be 30-45 GB in size. You're using the same h.264 codecs so there's no magic going on that lets you compress a file to 20% of the size without losing quality.

Sure some of the space is alternate soundtracks, but there's a lot of video data being dropped.

Now, depending on your equipment, you may not notice the difference.

But think of it his way - if they could get the same HD quality in the space of a DVD, why release or create the Blu Ray spec - just make a modification of the DVD spec and use that. And yes, h.264 was around when Blu Ray was released.
tubetwister likes this.
post #6 of 57 Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Not he quality is not the same. It should be obvious since you're downloading a 9GB file while the original Blu Ray will be 30-45 GB in size. You're using the same h.264 codecs so there's no magic going on that lets you compress a file to 20% of the size without losing quality.
Makes sense in theory, but in practice you can compress 1080p24 video down to around 10-15GB per hour with h264 without any noticeable quality loss even on huge projector screens, less (5-10GB/hour) if its a smaller screen.

However video is not what you need to worry about. While your bluray rip may contain DTS/trueHD audio tracks, the ipad is incapable of streaming lossless audio. What exactly it does it the audio instead, I have no idea, but that is where you are losing quality.
post #7 of 57 Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I would suggest doing 1 of 2 things.

1) Buy a bluray player and start giving back to the movie industry, instead of society

or

2) Enjoy the cabin for what it was meant for and stop watching movies in the wilderness!

I caved!
post #8 of 57 Old 07-27-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
I would suggest doing 1 of 2 things.

1) Buy a bluray player and start giving back to the movie industry, instead of society

or

2) Enjoy the cabin for what it was meant for and stop watching movies in the wilderness!
Actually, none of that torrent stuff has any impact on actual sales. The movie industry doens't want bad movies torrented as it creates a negative buzz. It helps them on better movies. Before you assume any of that hurts the movie business, you might want to do some research.

I appreciate cabins too, but most people don't go running through the woods at night. It's kind of fun to do the drive in movie thing in the middle of nowhere.

"I guess I'm just not sure if playing it from my iPad to the Apple TV is changing any of the quality"

I'd advocate getting a mac mini and just playing the media directly on that.
post #9 of 57 Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
eh... there's no way of actually knowing how corrupt the data is without the original. Should be good enough though. Check the properties of the file in the description, if there's one, they'll usually indicate resolution, bitrates, audio format an the like. In my experience, anything over like 6 gigs is usually pretty good. DVD quality-ish at least. Gets worse the more you think about it ... =/

Last edited by morphemes; 07-27-2015 at 09:08 PM.
post #10 of 57 Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A torrented Blu-Ray will only have the same quality as the disc if it is identified as a "remux", "lossless remux", "BDRX" [Blu-Ray disc remux], or something similar. Almost all Blu-Ray "cores" (i.e., just the main movie file) are 20 to 35 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
Makes sense in theory, but in practice you can compress 1080p24 video down to around 10-15GB per hour with h264 without any noticeable quality loss even on huge projector screens, less (5-10GB/hour) if its a smaller screen.

However video is not what you need to worry about. While your bluray rip may contain DTS/trueHD audio tracks, the ipad is incapable of streaming lossless audio. What exactly it does it the audio instead, I have no idea, but that is where you are losing quality.
The second part of your answer is scientific (although you and I don't know the exact process going on for audio compression) and factual. The first part is lacking for the AV Science forum.

For me I tend to notice artifacts in text overlays / inlays, and scene transitions (fades) as well as macroblocking in fast-motion scenes. This depends on what the bitrate is, obviously.

It depends who the audience is. Is their vision good? Are they specifically looking for compression artifacts? Are they professionals in video production?

In practice, undiscerning people can be shown video even more compressed than 10 GB per hour and still not complain. And some very picky people might notice even at 15 GB per hour.

Sidenote: some of my uncompressed Blu-Ray rips come in at fairly small sizes.

Waking Life / 1h41m / 16.1 GB
The Triplets of Belleville / 1h20m / 8.71 GB
Pee Wee's Big Adventure / 1h30m / 13.0 GB

The first two are animated but the third is live-action.

The biggest Blu-Rays I've seen for just the movie itself and no extras are:

Seven Samurai / 3h27m / 41.3 GB
Lawrence of Arabia / 3h47m / 39.8 GB
post #11 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I tried XBMC for a while, got tired of it.

Skip the pirated nonsense, buy the BD with Ultraviolet or other digital playback option, and download the legit digital version to the device you want to take to the cabin. Yes, even the Digital AV out from an iPad (I use one) isn't pristine lossless, but look at the venue - cabin in the woods.

There are some sites where people sell their UV codes (I should, I never use them) separately, too. Then you don't have to worry about the pirated version quality (or cuts, or drop offs).
Ratman likes this.

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #12 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

Skip the pirated nonsense, buy the BD with Ultraviolet or other digital playback option, and download the legit digital version to the device you want to take to the cabin. Yes, even the Digital AV out from an iPad (I use one) isn't pristine lossless, but look at the venue - cabin in the woods.

There are some sites where people sell their UV codes (I should, I never use them) separately, too. Then you don't have to worry about the pirated version quality (or cuts, or drop offs).
Love XBMC (Kodi)!

You could also buy the BDs and rip them with MakeMKV (uncompressed) or Handbrake (if you want to compress them). Then you would know what quality you're getting.
post #13 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

Buying something that most people use once is not intelligent. There's a reason why movie stores existed, why people typically rent in On Demand and why people don't want to know the endings of movies and books. Some small group of people may get off on watching the movies over and over again, but that's not many people.

The movie industry has created their own fragmented mess. Movies go to rental, purchase, redbox, amazon, etc at different times so if you're a regular person who just wants to watch a movie, it's hard to tell when its coming out. To boot, some blurays won't even play on particular players. You have to worry about getting your stupid player online to play some discs. Discs getting scratched. You also have to deal with ads that can't be fast forwarded because the movie companies to whom you're giving money forced things like DMCA, etc.

It's not hard to find a solution that will play various video files. I have a mac mini connected to TV. It does everything including let me access videos from ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.
post #14 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5062 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
UHD Blu-rays would be best @ the cabin. ...With Lossless surround sound, for those horror chick movies.
...Late @ night, when all the wildlife is sleeping outside, and the fishes in the lake.

Sex is good too, @ the cabin, with or without your movies, and also late @ night, or @ any other time.

* I have no idea, about streaming Blu-ray, but I did read that streaming UHD Blu-ray has incredible picture quality, and you can also have dts high resolution 5.1 surround sound. ...Some BR streams have 100GB resolution!

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-28-2015 at 12:00 PM.
post #15 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 486
post #16 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Actually, none of that torrent stuff has any impact on actual sales. The movie industry doens't want bad movies torrented as it creates a negative buzz. It helps them on better movies. Before you assume any of that hurts the movie business, you might want to do some research.

I appreciate cabins too, but most people don't go running through the woods at night. It's kind of fun to do the drive in movie thing in the middle of nowhere.

"I guess I'm just not sure if playing it from my iPad to the Apple TV is changing any of the quality"

I'd advocate getting a mac mini and just playing the media directly on that.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...piracy-really/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstens...g-an-industry/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...unterfeit-dvds

I've been in the film industry for almost 30 years and I've seen my (and most people in my line of work) income almost 1/2d since the rise of "I don't wanna pay for it, I'll find it for free" internet culture. The people at the very top of the rung, the most popular actors still get highly paid, but we on the lower rungs of movie glamour sure as hell do, as they slash costs in the "less visible" realm of movie making.

My brother in law and his wife were over at my place recently and he was bragging how he hadn't bought a CD, music for 20 years, and hadn't paid for a movie in maybe 10 or 15 years. But of course, he was well up on the latest music and movies, because he finds it for free. (In fact, he...along with several friends of mine, have virtually always seen the latest movie before I have because they get pirated versions before I even see it, or they torrent while I wait until I can pay to see it on Blu-Ray etc ) As someone who has to make a living off of the idea people will actually pay for the product we put out, this was not exactly an ingratiating brag. "Yeah, thanks a lot for that."
robnix and mdavej like this.

Last edited by R Harkness; 07-28-2015 at 07:27 PM.
post #17 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I've been in the film industry for almost 30 years and I've seen my (and most people in my line of work) income almost 1/2d since the rise of "I don't wanna pay for it, I'll find it for free" internet culture. The people at the very top of the rung, the most popular actors still get highly paid, but we on the lower rungs of movie glamour sure as hell do, as they slash costs in the "less visible" realm of movie making.
There's this little thing that gets brought up in debating called causation. For instance, I was driving yesterday and it rained. That doesn't mean my driving caused it.

You could be the ghoost of Walt Disney himself making that statement and it wouldn't matter. Go look at the independent studies on the topic. It has 0 effect. It holds true for music as well. The people who pirate the most are typically the ones who spend the most on that particular medium.

The global box office has been steadily increasing as is the projection over time.

Have you liistened to coal executives over the last 5 years? All you hear is that Obama and the EPA are putting them out of business. That's what they claim when in reality, their business was tanking because of fracking. Natural gas prices were a lot lower than coal and it has the bonus of being cleaner.

Your industry always wants to pay you as little as possible. They might use piracy as an excuse to do that, but it's not based on reality.

Incidentally, there's probably a Pinto somewhere with 300k miles on it. That doesn't mean that it's an accurate representation of the reliability of the overall product line.
genesplitter likes this.
post #18 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot

London School of Economimcs - Increases sales

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/docum...d-Creation.pdf

University of Munich - Beneficial

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=2176246

I have a background in economics. I would never tell you how to make movies without doing a whole ton of unbiased research. You might want to return the favor.

The articles to which you linked were all one sided or based on flawed studies such as looking at box office receipts after the invention of **********. Of course, they forgot to mention that people started using the internet en masse and consuming different types of media.

YOu can feel free to dig up studies by places like Harvard showing that music file sharig actually increases demand as well.
post #19 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
post #20 of 57 Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Will a torrented blu Ray file have the same quality as a blu Ray disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgeneral View Post
Buying something that most people use once is not intelligent. There's a reason why movie stores existed, why people typically rent in On Demand and why people don't want to know the endings of movies and books. Some small group of people may get off on watching the movies over and over again, but that's not many people.

The movie industry has created their own fragmented mess. Movies go to rental, purchase, redbox, amazon, etc at different times so if you're a regular person who just wants to watch a movie, it's hard to tell when its coming out. To boot, some blurays won't even play on particular players. You have to worry about getting your stupid player online to play some discs. Discs getting scratched. You also have to deal with ads that can't be fast forwarded because the movie companies to whom you're giving money forced things like DMCA, etc.
I'm in that 'small group,' then, that like to watch favorite movies many times.

I haven't scratched a BD yet, nor had to go online to play one, and most BDs I buy let me launch the popup menu anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...piracy-really/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/karstens...g-an-industry/

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...unterfeit-dvds

My brother in law and his wife were over at my place recently and he was bragging how he hadn't bought a CD, music for 20 years, and hadn't paid for a movie in maybe 10 or 15 years. But of course, he was well up on the latest music and movies, because he finds it for free. (In fact, he...along with several friends of mine, have virtually always seen the latest movie before I have because they get pirated versions before I even see it, or they torrent while I wait until I can pay to see it on Blu-Ray etc ) As someone who has to make a living off of the idea people will actually pay for the product we put out, this was not exactly an ingratiating brag. "Yeah, thanks a lot for that."
Didja slip few drops of Visine in his cocktail?

“Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

post #21 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
These arguments still skirt the main issue, piracy is ILLEGAL! Glorify it as you like, but you are breaking the law when you pirate a CD or BD.
I will tell you what General, how about someone figures out how to hack into your cars locks and ignitions, and rather than buy a car, just uses yours whenever he likes? I am sure you wouldn't mind. And of course it would not affect the sales of new cars for the manufacturer, I am sure we can find some articles that will back that up.
mdavej likes this.
post #22 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
These arguments still skirt the main issue, piracy is ILLEGAL! Glorify it as you like, but you are breaking the law when you pirate a CD or BD.
I will tell you what General, how about someone figures out how to hack into your cars locks and ignitions, and rather than buy a car, just uses yours whenever he likes? I am sure you wouldn't mind. And of course it would not affect the sales of new cars for the manufacturer, I am sure we can find some articles that will back that up.
Do you buy CDs? ...Blu-rays? ...LPs?

Do you believe Neil Young when he says that AM radio and 8-track cassette tapes sound better than music streaming?

Why is it that human nature is more attracted by free crap than buying real quality music/movie recordings?
What is so different today in the year 2015 than it was hundred years ago in the year 1915?

This planet is populated by pirates since the stone age. We are all descendants of the first ever man on Earth who disobeyed the first ever rule/law/condition to be first ever implemented. ...History is simply a replication of that first event. ...Human nature is present everywhere; in countries where they have politicians, rulers, dictators, economists, stock brokers, market insiders, lawyers, judges, financial planners, insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, ...brief the entire world is governed by the monetary and power system.

In other countries, like in our own country, people try to survive the best they can with all the struggling life's circumstances available/offered/surrounding them.

Don't do as others do, do as I do...buy your music and movies from LPs, CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. ...Stay true to the system in full cooperation with the laws governing your own country, and don't try to implement your own laws/beliefs to others from all various countries.

No one country is better, no law is better than another, no human being is above another. ...Equality, Respect, Freedom.
Be better than all the rest...work hard...play hard...eat well and sleep well. ...And share your good knowledge, pass it along to the next generations.
Living in harmony in this world today is building a better world tomorrow for our children's children's children's children's children's children's children.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-29-2015 at 02:56 PM.
post #23 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I buy mine. Often used through Amazon. Great deals there.
post #24 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post
This would make sense if cars were clonable, and the criminal cloned your car then drove away.
post #25 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Living in harmony in this world today is building a better world tomorrow for our children's children's children's children's children's children's children.
post #26 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #27 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
=NorthSky;36098242 Sex is good too, @ the cabin, with or without your movies, and also late @ night, or @ any other time.
I believe the OP stated he was at the cabin with his parents.... Sex really?

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #28 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You could also buy the BDs and rip them with MakeMKV (uncompressed) or Handbrake (if you want to compress them). Then you would know what quality you're getting.
Bingo. I've ripped all my own stuff. That's the only way to truly know what you're getting. If you're torrenting your movies instead, then you get what you get. Besides, you're streaming through an iPad? Yeah, you're not getting the same quality as bluray anyway, no matter your file. Indiscernible to some? Sure. But not the same.
post #29 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Whenever we go up to my parents cabin we always watch a movie with my projector. However they have slow Internet speed so we can't really stream a movie. Redbox is usually limited so we don't rent a movie from there. My question is if I download a torrented Blu-ray file ( don't worry, I find a way to give back to society) and stream that from my iPad to the Apple TV, does this impact the sound or video?

The file that I download is usually anywhere between 7 and 9 GB and it always says DTS audio or true HD. I guess I'm just not sure if playing it from my iPad to the Apple TV is changing any of the quality. Thanks and hope to hear some answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I believe the OP stated he was at the cabin with his parents.... Sex really?
...Not exactly what he said...it is ambiguous...regarding the exact people accompanying him @ his parent's cabin.
...Could be his girlfriend(s), his wife, or his friend.
...Could be anyone really...you simply assumed that it was with his parents. ...In that case, if it is...no more sex. ...It don't apply.
post #30 of 57 Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's the bottom line...

No matter who's cabin... who own's it... is not the issue.

Torrent stuff is not is not nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat