AVS Forum banner

4 Core speaker cable termination

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Glimmie 
#1 ·
Hi team

Query with regadrs speaker wire termination when using 4 core cable. I am considering using 4 core cable for a speaker installation in the ceiling of our patio (entertainment area). Have purchased some Atrium 6 speakers for the installation. Have a small conduit with limited space in the wall behind the amp and would suit using the 4 core wire setup, was going to use 16 AWG for a run of approx 14m to the furtherest speaker. Have always been an advocate for equal lengths of speaker cable to two matching spaekers, old school hi fi I guess.

Question is: If I use 4 core cable what happens when I get to the first speaker do I have to split the jacket for the balance to the second speaker, and if so based on using equal lengths of cable is it ok to leave the blance of the cable out of the jacket and loose in the ceiling?

Thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts

#2 · (Edited)
I wouldn't concern yourself about using equal lengths of wire. The difference in resistance is going to be only a few hundredths of an ohm, which is totally insignificant.

As for leaving the wires loose in the ceiling, the main thing would be to not just lay them across the ceiling joists, where someone might step on them later.

#3 ·
#4 ·
If the space above the ceiling will be insulated, you can place a plastic junction box behind the speaker bracket, slit the jacket and pull the wires you need through the cover pate on the box. Removing the speaker would make the box accessible in the future. You could tape the slit in the jacket, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.