Acoustic panel cheap insulation? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Acoustic panel cheap insulation?

Hi
I made a couple of four sided frames and fabric for acoustic panels.
Is there an alternate insulation that i could buy from jo ann? I have 50% off coupon.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Cotton or polyester batting might absorb a useful amount, but I'm not aware of any tests one way or the other. Then again, by the time you buy enough batting to be thick enough for acoustic applications, even at 50 percent off, it will probably cost a lot more than rigid fiberglass or mineral wool, which are guaranteed to work well.

--Ethan
Old 03-05-2016, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I went with the Owens Corning 703 equivalent, John Mansville 814 for my studio. I ended up doing it twice and filling out my main listening area with some first order reflection treatment as well as some cheap 'studio foam' from amazon to kill some of the reflections on the ceiling. I checked all over as you are likely doing, but nothing really compares to spending the money on the real deal.

I paid around $80 for 6 sheets of 2" thick JM814 and extra in supplies such as wood for the frames and screws and fabric, etc. Comes out to something like $160 or something for 6 absorption panels.

Denon AVR-X1200W, Polk RTi 8's, CSi 5, FXi 3's, Sapphire Satellites (front heights), Martin Logan Dynamo (2)
Panamax M4300EX
Panasonic TC-L58E60
Denon AVR-X1200W
PS3, SNES, XBox360, PC, SNES
Old 03-06-2016, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordenron View Post
I went with the Owens Corning 703 equivalent, John Mansville 814 for my studio. I ended up doing it twice and filling out my main listening area with some first order reflection treatment as well as some cheap 'studio foam' from amazon to kill some of the reflections on the ceiling. I checked all over as you are likely doing, but nothing really compares to spending the money on the real deal.

I paid around $80 for 6 sheets of 2" thick JM814 and extra in supplies such as wood for the frames and screws and fabric, etc. Comes out to something like $160 or something for 6 absorption panels.
What exactly did you buy for the cheap "studio foam"? Did it work to absorb bass?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Would something like this work for bass trap?
Old 03-06-2016, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmedievalol View Post
Yeah. It's the same as in here.
Looks like a standard "You get what you pay for.." situation.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evmedievalol View Post
What exactly did you buy for the cheap "studio foam"? Did it work to absorb bass?
'Bass traps': http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Acoustic panels: http://www.amazon.com/Pack--Acoustic...ds=studio+foam

I used some stuff I found on Amazon honestly. It does absolutely nothing for bass, but helps to disperse incoming reflections and kills some reverberance in the room. I put it on the ceiling in square patches, some on the rear walls, some 'bass trap' looking ones on the front and rear ceiling where it meets the horizontal walls. I skipped spaces in between diamond shaped panels, much resembling a chess board (black spaces would be the foam panel, white would be the actual ceiling itself). This helps to not kill TOO much, for a super dead room is unwanted, but enough to reduce the unwanted reflections in harder to reach places that one can't feasibly put large panels. The quality of the panels doesn't matter a whole whole lot, it's more about thickness and shape to break up waves of sound. I believe they are generally effective from something like 500hz to 4k or something like that, I could be wrong but absorption isn't what I was shooting for with those panels.

I'm not convinced that those foam panels, even from reputable makers, are any more effective at absorption than OC703 or the like. Or, they are, but you'd need so much of them at that elevated cost that it wouldn't be worth it.
They ARE relatively effective at killing reverb though in my experience.

Denon AVR-X1200W, Polk RTi 8's, CSi 5, FXi 3's, Sapphire Satellites (front heights), Martin Logan Dynamo (2)
Panamax M4300EX
Panasonic TC-L58E60
Denon AVR-X1200W
Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordenron View Post
I'm not convinced that those foam panels, even from reputable makers, are any more effective at absorption than OC703 or the like.
Good brand name acoustic foam can work pretty well, though not as good as high density rigid fiberglass, and certainly not as good as more advanced bass traps that employ a membrane. But the main problem with most foam "bass traps" is they're too small! All the foam corners I see are only 15 inches across their front surface, which is just too narrow to absorb effectively much below 200 Hz.

--Ethan
Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

True. You need in the order of FEET thick (more the merrier) to absorb low frequency sounds. It's a challenge, especially if living with a female who likes to keep a neat, orderly home with as little clutter as possible

Panamax M4300EX
Panasonic TC-L58E60
Denon AVR-X1200W
Old 03-08-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Don't you need to tailor the panels to your rooms frequency response by measuring to see what to absorb?
Not usually. Perhaps in a large square or cube shape room where there are multiple coincident resonances at a very low frequency tuned bass traps would be useful. But for most home-size rooms the goal is broadband absorption at all frequencies. More here:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement