Dolby Atmos possibilities/placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Dolby Atmos possibilities/placement

I have scored the net and AVS, but I havent come across exactly what I need to know. That's why Im making this thread.

I have a 12 x 12 room with an 8 foot ceiling that's been converted into a small theater with seating on the back wall. I have two Klipsch reference book shelf speakers mounted on the right and left side 75" up the wall angled to shoot sound above my head to create a "cloud of sound". These speakers do that quite well. My question is whether or not I would benefit from in ceiling mounted dolby atmos speakers for a 5.1.2 setup. I dont have the room or really the want for 5.1.4 since the space is small. If it's not worth it, Ill just bi amp my fronts and use the money on different upgrades.

Thanks for any suggestions/input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Overhead speakers do help to produce an enveloping sound, often with appropriate sounds coming from above (rain, footsteps on an upper floor, helicopters, etc). They produce far more of an improvement than bi-amping can.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 10 Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Overhead speakers do help to produce an enveloping sound, often with appropriate sounds coming from above (rain, footsteps on an upper floor, helicopters, etc). They produce far more of an improvement than bi-amping can.

I dont doubt that, but with a 12 x 12 room is there an advantage to Atmos since my side speakers are so high?

Last edited by thinksmartpc; 03-08-2016 at 12:57 PM.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2467 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinksmartpc View Post
I dont doubt that, but with a 12 x 12 room is there an advantage to Atmos since my side speakers are so high?
It would be nice if you could lower the side surrounds as much as possible. However, adding speakers at the top, front of the room above the main speakers (called Front Height) will enhance the audio experience.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 10 Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
With your seat against the back wall, not ideal for 5.1, doubt you will benefit much with Atmos as they suggest 2 speakers in the ceiling behind the seating and 2 a bit forward.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
With your seat against the back wall, not ideal for 5.1, doubt you will benefit much with Atmos as they suggest 2 speakers in the ceiling behind the seating and 2 a bit forward.
My 5.1 setup is room constraint as I dont have space to sit closer with the speakers slightly behind.

As far as the Atmos goes, I thought Atmos called for at least 2 slightly forward heights for the basic setup.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
It would be nice if you could lower the side surrounds as much as possible. However, adding speakers at the top, front of the room above the main speakers (called Front Height) will enhance the audio experience.
The side surrounds cant be lowered because I have a small nook where you enter the room and my side right is there and you'd basically run into the speaker if it were lowered.

I may just go with some front height speakers and go with Atmos once we move which will be in the next 3 years.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can you do Atmos? Yes. Will it be a good implementation? ... Without the willingness or ability to move things I would say no. If you really can't move the side speakers, maybe do a pair of on wall or in wall rears or the aforementioned front heights to give you a 7.1 setup.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post
Can you do Atmos? Yes. Will it be a good implementation? ... Without the willingness or ability to move things I would say no. If you really can't move the side speakers, maybe do a pair of on wall or in wall rears or the aforementioned front heights to give you a 7.1 setup.
Ill probably end up doing heights, because I really cant move the sides.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3966 Post(s)
Liked: 2491
Quote:
I thought Atmos called for at least 2 slightly forward heights for the basic setup.
That location would give the best impression of sounds above you. Should be able to hear the difference between that vs sounds around you coming from your sides.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page