Speaker stands that hold 15 lbs using L bracket??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Question Speaker stands that hold 15 lbs using L bracket???

I'm in a weird situation. I am trying to mount my Axiom QS8 speakers to complete my setup and I do not have side wall so I am going to stand mount it. Problem is axiom charges $300 for pair of stands and I do not want to pay that much. Since axiom has down firing midrange in their QS8 speaker the stand/base needs to have huge hole like their stands so it isn't blocked but I was thinking of a L bracket stand that can support up to 15 lbs? This will allow me to "wall mount" to the stand like if I was mounting on the wall itself. Any ideas? And I'm looking for something like 40 inches height. I like the look of the sanus sattelite stand but not sure it will hold the weight and I'm not good with wood to build my own. Help please!

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

And I also do have their full metal bracket wall mounts from axiom....so I don't mind if I have to use that to attach to L bracket or something on a speaker stand. Has to be a stand, no side wall available. Thanks.

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
And I also do have their full metal bracket wall mounts from axiom....so I don't mind if I have to use that to attach to L bracket or something on a speaker stand. Has to be a stand, no side wall available. Thanks.
Any stand should work well enough but you might need to make your own L brackets. Go to home depot and check out the metal strips they sell. You'll want somethign about 1" width.

You'll need to bend the steel yourself and drill it for holes. Then paint it black. It will be a fun project.

You'll end up like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	5
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	1573929  
post #4 of 6 Old Today, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clechien View Post
Any stand should work well enough but you might need to make your own L brackets. Go to home depot and check out the metal strips they sell. You'll want somethign about 1" width.

You'll need to bend the steel yourself and drill it for holes. Then paint it black. It will be a fun project.

You'll end up like this.
Not a bad idea! I wonder if it would be easier to buy a 8 inch by 8 inch top wood board and cut 6 inch hole and then screw it to metal legs/feet on the outside of the board. I will drive by home depot and see if they have metal legs that can go on edges of board. Kinda like this but with hole on top for the bottom mid/woofer to breath. http://www.gillmorespace.com/cordoba...d-cordoba.html But with wood top and 40 inches height. Think this will work? The L bracket will not work on my QS8 v2 surrounds due to the binding post being centered of speaker for mounting and would be in the way.....unless I use the full metal wall bracket to the L bracket to get the binding post some room to wire it. Just looking at ideas online and will stop by home depot. Just something cheap and still look good with my modern decor. lol

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Not a bad idea! I wonder if it would be easier to buy a 8 inch by 8 inch top wood board and cut 6 inch hole and then screw it to metal legs/feet on the outside of the board. I will drive by home depot and see if they have metal legs that can go on edges of board. Kinda like this but with hole on top for the bottom mid/woofer to breath. http://www.gillmorespace.com/cordoba...d-cordoba.html But with wood top and 40 inches height. Think this will work? The L bracket will not work on my QS8 v2 surrounds due to the binding post being centered of speaker for mounting and would be in the way.....unless I use the full metal wall bracket to the L bracket to get the binding post some room to wire it. Just looking at ideas online and will stop by home depot. Just something cheap and still look good with my modern decor. lol
Yes, something like that with a hole cut in the middle would work good. You probably don't have to screw the speaker down unless you think someone will tip it over.

If you don't care if it looks good you could make it out of PVC piping filled with sand!
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clechien View Post
Yes, something like that with a hole cut in the middle would work good. You probably don't have to screw the speaker down unless you think someone will tip it over.

If you don't care if it looks good you could make it out of PVC piping filled with sand!
I'm not worried about tipping it over since it will be on sides of the couch. If we have guest I can just slide it to behind the couch out of everyone's way. PVC pipe...hmm....maybe if my decor was industrial looking. lol Even tall media/cd/dvd shelf cheap from Walmart might work and just use speaker on top shelf only and no other shelves being used. Like this. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/atlantic...FYpkhgodEPkCQg

I can remove all the shelfs and even the back paper backing so it has more breathing room. Only the sides will be there holding it. Its 54 inches height and should be fine. My surrounds are going to be 5.1 only so I will have it at 90 degrees as opposed to the rear wall which I could have done but think 90 degrees is best for 5.1. My ears are 36 inches from floor so thats why I was thinking 40 inches for stands. But these media center is 54 inches height so it will put my tweeters about 60 inches from floor. Should be fine right? I know most people have side surrounds a few feet above them but now everyone is going atmos (sides and rears ear level) which I'm not ready for yet. So being 2 feet above ear level at 90 degrees on sides and 6 feet away should be ok? Heck, this is way cheaper than axiom stands and you can't really use it for anything else other than their speakers. What if I decide to go with another brand down the road.....so just looking for good looking easy fix. HA!

Axiom M60, VP150, EP500
Panasonic 60-S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat