Ask Me Anything: Defining High-Res Audio - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Closed Thread

post #121 of 123 Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I though about that too. Aren't they both round flat discs you put in, pretty much never clean (if all goes well), and then hit a button to start it up?
Maybe because the selections are far fewer and only certain decks can play them (not likely your car for example) is why they are deemed not as convenient?
That, and they are harder to rip, if you want to take that round disc and put it on a more convenient portable format. Never mind the gasps from people who argue the PDM (pulse density modulation, aka "DSD") to PCM conversion is the worst thing to do to music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 09-06-2016, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked: 749
The D-5/D-50 wasn't a Discman or Portable, it was a Skipman, and Transportable. Playing the thing while moving it was a mess.

I remember thinking at the time, "Geez, why don't the just buffer the data a second or two?"

But remember the Radio Shack Optimus CD-3400? Even the high-end press though it sounded almost as good as esoteric stuff priced in the thousands. I bought mine for $129. I compared it to players in the $2500 range, it sounded just like them...or, conversely, the $2500 players sounded just like a $179 Radio Shack player I got on sale. And it skipped when moved around too.

Glass half full/empty...depends on what you're buying and selling.
post #123 of 123 Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Thanks to all who participated and congrats to our lucky winners.

As stated in the opening post, this will now be closed and we hope to do more of these in the near future!

Mike Lang, Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page