AVS Forum banner

Which Amp for Twin Sub Build

299 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Saber008 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm planning on building two subs using the Dayton RS15 woofer. I've been reading as much as I can on this but honestly I'm just getting more and more confused with all the factors. I'm trying to choose between the Behringer NU6000DSP and NU3000DPS. Although I'm open to other options as well. I feel like the NU3000DSP is cutting it close but would like to save money if possible. I'm not sure realistically how much power I'd be using.

NU6000DSP: Delivers 2 x 3100 Watts into 4 Ohms, 2 x 1600 Watts into 8 Ohms
NU3000DPS: Delivers 2 x 1500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 900 Watts into 4 Ohms; 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)

Dayton RS15 Specifications:

Power Handling (RMS): 500 W
Power Handling (max): 1,000 W
Impedance: 4 Ohms

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
you need to post more info about the space , budget, and other mitigating conditions ( WAF, rental, home, condo, Igloo, etc.)
where you want to put these ,

If the total volume add up to a whole lot , depending on objectives and preferences and what you're allowed to do,

you'll need to get more constructive / directive feedback.

have you looked at the DIYSG Stongehenge or any other simple and cool DIY builds?

Reactions: Saber008
#3 ·
Looking purely at the wattage, i don't see why the 3000 wouldn't be enough.
From parts-express: "Specifications: • Output power (per channel, stereo): 680 watts RMS, 880 watts peak (4 ohms)"

That's driving both of your subs at 36% higher than their rated watts RMS. The peak of 880w is lower than your subs' peak, but not by much. I would almost say just looking at the numbers that the 3000 is ideally suited for the subs you mentioned.

Of course the 6000 would give you loads of head room if you think you'll be maxing that volume dial regularly. Or if you think you might upgrade in the future.

Hopefully some folks running these amps will chime in as i don't have any personal experience with them.

#5 ·
Looking purely at the wattage, i don't see why the 3000 wouldn't be enough.
From parts-express: "Specifications: • Output power (per channel, stereo): 680 watts RMS, 880 watts peak (4 ohms)"
DOn't believe Behringer amp specs. They lie. There are many independent tests to validate the point.

That's driving both of your subs at 36% higher than their rated watts RMS.
Speaker power ratings (at least from reputable manufacturers) are the continuous power they can handle for a give period without damage. For example AES 1994 specs 2 hrs of pink noise with the peaks at rated power. Music/movie content is not like that. Good recordings have a crest factor of 20dB or 100:1. So if a speaker was rated at 500W being driven by a 500W amp, then most of the time dissipation would be averaging about 5W.

The only time more power is a problem, is if a deaf fool is running the system volume control.

Reactions: CruelInventions
#4 ·
Your software modeling of the driver/box combination should tell you the maximum displacement limited power. For best results your amp should be able to deliver at least that figure. Having up to twice that figure would insure adequate headroom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.