Atmos with no place for ear level surrounds? (Ceiling only) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2017, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos with no place for ear level surrounds? (Ceiling only)

I have a very open floorplan with no place for a right rear surround at ear level, unless I want it standing in the middle of a room for everyone to walk around -- not wife approved.

So, I am already stuck with my surrounds being in ceiling speakers.
Even worse, my couch is against a back wall and I really can't move it forward, which means my in ceiling surrounds are at the 90 degree mark.

Given that, is there any benefit to me adding Atmos speakers? In looking at the layout recommendations for Atmos 5.1.2, it appears that the normal in ceiling location for the Atmos speakers would be not far enough forward of my surrounds to make any appreciable difference. Am I wrong?

What about moving them a little further forward -- almost as if I was setting up a 5.1.4 but only with the forward two speakers?

I just don't know if it's worth the effort given that I'm stuck with ceiling surrounds.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2017, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well, Aren't Atmos locations closer to the MLP anyways? So if you have them all in the ceiling in a 5.1.2 configuration you'll have the normal Atmos locations at whatever angle above you and then slightly to your left and right but not as far out as your surrounds would be. I suppose it couldn't hurt adding the Atmos speakers.

Moving them further forward while not optimal Dolby placement would probably work okay too. You should try giving a sketch of your layout and speaker locations if possible so we can get a better idea of your room.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This article will check out an in-ceiling-only Dolby Atmos setup.
I'm not allowed to post links (this is my first post) so I had to remove "www" from the link
audioholics.com/diy-audio/how-to-install-an-immersive-audio-setup

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2017, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrider73 View Post
I have a very open floorplan with no place for a right rear surround at ear level, unless I want it standing in the middle of a room for everyone to walk around -- not wife approved.

Even worse, my couch is against a back wall and I really can't move it forward, which means my in ceiling surrounds are at the 90 degree mark.

Given that, is there any benefit to me adding Atmos speakers? In looking at the layout recommendations for Atmos 5.1.2, it appears that the normal in ceiling location for the Atmos speakers would be not far enough forward of my surrounds to make any appreciable difference. Am I wrong?

What about moving them a little further forward -- almost as if I was setting up a 5.1.4 but only with the forward two speakers?

I just don't know if it's worth the effort given that I'm stuck with ceiling surrounds.

Thanks for your input!
Based on the research you've done, I think you realize that your room/layout is not optimal for immersive audio. Atmos shines when you have vertical separation between the surround and ceiling/height speakers.
The referenced Audioholics article was basically a "free" speaker evaluation exercise; most audiophiles (and I write CD reviews for Audioholics) will tell you to stay away from any sort of in-ceiling/in-wall speakers (immersive audio notwithstanding).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2017, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Based on the research you've done, I think you realize that your room/layout is not optimal for immersive audio. Atmos shines when you have vertical separation between the surround and ceiling/height speakers.
The referenced Audioholics article was basically a "free" speaker evaluation exercise; most audiophiles (and I write CD reviews for Audioholics) will tell you to stay away from any sort of in-ceiling/in-wall speakers (immersive audio notwithstanding).
Yeah, but sadly, I have not found a viable way to stay away from in ceiling... I'm almost thinking about just going 3.1 and spending all the money on the front stage... I don't know!
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yeah, but sadly, I have not found a viable way to stay away from in ceiling... I'm almost thinking about just going 3.1 and spending all the money on the front stage... I don't know!
Goldenear and Definitive Technology have in-ceiling speakers that are designed to simulate listener-level speakers, not sure about all the technical details. I had a similar issue, my surrounds in a 5.1.4 Atmos system had to be in-ceiling, so I installed Def Tech UIW RCS 3's for my surrounds. They actually work very well, the sound seems to come from ground level even though the speakers are in the ceiling! They are very narrow dispersion, and must be at least 6 or 7 feet away for the effect to work - the Goldenear Invisa 7000 are a little more expensive, and have amiable tweeters, which would likely give you more flexibility in placement.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-15-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:

Thanks for your input!
So, you could still do a 3.1.2 - OR- you could do a 5.1.2 with speakers on stands that you set up for yourself when the missus isn't around! Sure, it's a bit of an inconvenience, but if you've got a place to stash a pair of speakers (don't need to be heavy or terribly bulky) and a place for interconnects on the wall, you could think about doing this.

Quote:
That's O.K. too - you can still have a fantastic experience with 3.1 - especially if you invest in quality speakers and a good subwoofer. Preferably two subwoofers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page