AVS Forum banner

Voices sound like they are in a box

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  unretarded 
#1 ·
I have a narrow theater, 8ft x 19ft. I have the front wall treated with 2 inch oc703 and no other sound treatments as of yet. There is carpet and loungers in the room. It sounds great to me other than the voices sound a little boxed in, almost echo like. Is this due to the narrow room? I was going to install some 1" thick sound panels along the walls. What are your thoughts to remedy this? I've only watched a couple movies so far and they both sounded similar.

#10 · (Edited)
Your ears may be detecting one of the characteristics of that particular speaker and you don't like it. Perhaps, the speaker needs more damping material within it. Is the speaker in a entertainment cabinet or firing into a hard surface? Many people hear a boxy sound in all box design speakers and search for those that don't. Some discover planar or electrostatics designs and get happy. they then complain that all speakers to them that don't have that style sound boxy.

#14 ·
You may also want to play with the position of the center speaker. I may have missed it but I didn't see that you described how you have your speakers positioned. Is the center speaker on a shelf, in a rack, on the floor, etc. Placement can make a big difference in how a speaker sounds.

#15 · (Edited)
If the center speaker is located within a piece of furniture or rack or if the surface it sits upon extends beyond the front of the speaker, try relocating the speaker temporarily. Put it on top of a small elevated surface, such as a stool or chair, about one foot or more in front of the TV and any adjacent furniture. Make certain the front of the speaker extends an inch or two beyond the front of the temporary stand. If necessary, angle the speaker upward a bit so it is pointed at your seated ears. If it still sounds too boxy, the problem is almost certainly the speaker itself. Careful equalization might lessen the boxiness to an acceptable degree.

Edit:
PS: Also test the speaker with your receiver set to its pure direct mode, which bypasses all equalization.

#16 ·
Stand in the middle of the room where you sit and few other places and clap your hands together once.........if it sounds like a group of people clapped, then you need some sound treatmets....:D

I would suspect it does if you just have drywall......

UMIK and REW is the only way to not have to trial and error and guess...........both ways will get you there if stay with it, one is just much easier and might save you money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.