Best Upmix to 11.1 and PS3 audio out settings? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By yepimonfire

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Upmix to 11.1 and PS3 audio out settings?

Quick question(s)

I just upgraded my receiver (Denon AVR-X6300H) for the first time in about 8 or so years and I have 2 questions:

1.) I know Atmos and DTS:X are preferred, but what setting do you use to upmix to 11 channels if the disc isn't already mixed in Atmos or DTS:X? Do you use DTS: Neural X? Is that the preferred setting to upmix less than 11 channel content to 11 channels?

2.) I still have an old PS3 as my Blu-Ray Player. Until I upgrade, what settings do I use to send the audio out? Linear PCM or Bitstream?
I know when I first setup my system Linear PCM was recommended. Just checking to make sure that is still the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay21112 View Post
Quick question(s)

I just upgraded my receiver (Denon AVR-X6300H) for the first time in about 8 or so years and I have 2 questions:

1.) I know Atmos and DTS:X are preferred, but what setting do you use to upmix to 11 channels if the disc isn't already mixed in Atmos or DTS:X? Do you use DTS: Neural X? Is that the preferred setting to upmix less than 11 channel content to 11 channels?

2.) I still have an old PS3 as my Blu-Ray Player. Until I upgrade, what settings do I use to send the audio out? Linear PCM or Bitstream?
I know when I first setup my system Linear PCM was recommended. Just checking to make sure that is still the case.
Neural X for multichannel content, Dolby surround for stereo. Check my blog for the long winded explanation as to why. Neural X transforms the 5.1/7.1 channel track into the DTS X object space, how? Not 100% sure, but it works surprisingly well. I have no idea what it does with stereo, but it sounds like ****, and can't even interpolate a stable center channel. Dolby surround does a good job at extracting decorrelated signals, first in the frequency domain, and then in the time domain, and rerouting it to the appropriate channels. This does a good job at expanding the soundstage upwards, and gives a much more 3 dimensional sense to the space, but it doesn't do a very good job at grabbing things from the bed channels and tracking them overhead and around the room like Neural X does. From stereo, DSU sounds nearly as good as discrete surround.

You need bitstream for atmos.
Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
Neural X for multichannel content, Dolby surround for stereo. Check my blog for the long winded explanation as to why. Neural X transforms the 5.1/7.1 channel track into the DTS X object space, how? Not 100% sure, but it works surprisingly well. I have no idea what it does with stereo, but it sounds like ****, and can't even interpolate a stable center channel. Dolby surround does a good job at extracting decorrelated signals, first in the frequency domain, and then in the time domain, and rerouting it to the appropriate channels. This does a good job at expanding the soundstage upwards, and gives a much more 3 dimensional sense to the space, but it doesn't do a very good job at grabbing things from the bed channels and tracking them overhead and around the room like Neural X does. From stereo, DSU sounds nearly as good as discrete surround.

You need bitstream for atmos.
Thank you very much!
I'd love to read more in your blog, but I don't see a link in your post or signature.
Do you have a link?

post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay21112 View Post
Thank you very much!
I'd love to read more in your blog, but I don't see a link in your post or signature.
Do you have a link?
https://rantingsofamadaudiophile.wor...s-dts-neuralx/

jay21112 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepimonfire View Post
Very interesting read.
Thanks for putting that together and sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page