Outdoor Speakers & Placement Advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rex Anderson

post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Speakers & Placement Advice

I am building a new house, and will soon need to tell the electrician where to run the speaker wire for my outdoor speakers. I am struggling on whether I want them to focus on my back deck/patio or try to hit the whole hard. I am only going to install two speakers as we don't have a pool and our yard is not very deep at all (35-40 feet from deck to back fence), just wide (approximately 110 feet). The speakers will be connected to a Sonos Connect Amp via 14 guage speaker wire. The wire run for the left speaker will be approximately 60 feet, while the right speaker will be no more than 30 feet. I am planning on getting either a pair of Klipsch AW-400s or a pair of Bose 151 SEs. I am currently unable to include links to those speakers due to my low post count. Our first floor/deck layout should be attached to this post, and I have marked the speaker placement options I am considering for my two speakers.

Looking for suggestions on the speakers, the placement and the aiming (if necessary). Not including the Connect Amp, I would like to keep my cost below $300.

Please advise. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Floor Layout.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	2281710  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 958
I would do the back deck/patio area with 2 speakers.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
I would do the back deck/patio area with 2 speakers.
Thank you for the reply. Looking at the layout I provided, numbering the placement options 1 through 5 from left to right, d you have a suggestion on speaker placement?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 958
I see no attachments but would try out positions before I would do wiring. Placement depends on the speakers and the way you want it to sound.. IME Outside speakers just are difficult to get right on positioning than in room.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Look at the area you want to cover and also the specs for the horn pattern (90 degrees horizontal etc), that's how PA system designers do coverage for audiences.

If the speakers are too far apart, there will be a big gaping hole in coverage.

I suggest using JBL speakers, like Control 28 or bigger. You may want more power if you are going to play loud.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...tractor-series

I would probably do the two outside corners (#'s 2 and 5), patterns will cross at a point out in the yard.

You might want to do 12 gauge wire for a 60' run.
leecreek likes this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 09-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Look at the area you want to cover and also the specs for the horn pattern (90 degrees horizontal etc), that's how PA system designers do coverage for audiences.

If the speakers are too far apart, there will be a big gaping hole in coverage.

I suggest using JBL speakers, like Control 28 or bigger. You may want more power if you are going to play loud.

I would probably do the two outside corners (#'s 2 and 5), patterns will cross at a point out in the yard.

You might want to do 12 gauge wire for a 60' run.
Appreciate the response. The JBLs are a little over budget (looking to spend no more than $400 for a pair) and also a little larger than I was planning. I was looking at the Bose 151s or Bose 251s. The 251s are suggested to be placed between 7 and 12 feet apart. With that in mind, see the attached layout for my new location considerations (green rectangles). What do you think? Will the fact that they are not on the same wall affect their performance?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	4
ID:	2285032  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate the response. The JBLs are a little over budget (looking to spend no more than $400 for the pair), and also a little larger than I was planning. I was looking at the Bose 151s or Bose 251s. The 251s are suggested to be placed between 7 and 12 feet apart. With that in mind, see the attached layout for my new location considerations (green rectangles). What do ya'll think? Will the fact that they are not on the same wall affect their performance?

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5
ID:	2285040  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhaynes View Post
Appreciate the response. The JBLs are a little over budget (looking to spend no more than $400 for the pair), and also a little larger than I was planning. I was looking at the Bose 151s or Bose 251s. The 251s are suggested to be placed between 7 and 12 feet apart. With that in mind, see the attached layout for my new location considerations (green rectangles). What do ya'll think? Will the fact that they are not on the same wall affect their performance? Thanks again!
You have to remember, proper serious listening of stereo material requires being at the apex of an equilateral triangle. Generally you sit indoors at distances of no more than 12-15 feet from the speakers.

Outdoors, you're just trying to get sound to cover as much area evenly as possible. It's not a PA system at a concert.

Your green dot locations are OK. Where the speakers end up depends on what you are trying to accomplish, what areas you are trying to cover. You won't hear good stereo imaging except in one location.

Someone else suggested trying different locations with the speakers before you do final mounting. That's a good idea.

I got my JBL Control 28's for your budget. PM me and I can give you the vendor and price info if you are interested.

As far as size goes, smaller speakers will not have very good bass, especially outdoors.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
You have to remember, proper serious listening of stereo material requires being at the apex of an equilateral triangle. Generally you sit indoors at distances of no more than 12-15 feet from the speakers.

Outdoors, you're just trying to get sound to cover as much area evenly as possible. It's not a PA system at a concert.

Your green dot locations are OK. Where the speakers end up depends on what you are trying to accomplish, what areas you are trying to cover. You won't hear good stereo imaging except in one location.

Someone else suggested trying different locations with the speakers before you do final mounting. That's a good idea.

I got my JBL Control 28's for your budget. PM me and I can give you the vendor and price info if you are interested.

As far as size goes, smaller speakers will not have very good bass, especially outdoors.
If I decide to max out my budget, I will get in touch regarding the 28's. I appreciate the offer. In addition to being at top end of budget, they also seem a bit large, and I understand that I am limiting myself in regard to sound quality by going with a smaller speaker, but I know my wife would not approve of anything too large out there.

I am now looking at the Polk Atrium 6 speakers as they have very good reviews and are on sale on Amazon for less than $300/pair.

Having said all thought, do you have a better suggestion than the green dots? I am definitely open to any and all suggestions.

I would like to get good stereo imaging in more than that one specific location, but the most important thing to me is getting good sound quality across the entire deck. The deck sitting and grilling area will be on the larger, circular section, but the smaller, rectangular section will be covered, so it will be used a lot as well.

While I would like to hear the music out in the yard, that is not as important to me as good coverage for the deck/patio.

Thanks again for your help and continued advice.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-19-2017, 03:43 PM

There are smaller speakers in the contractor series: http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...tractor-series

You could do the Control 25-1L. I just know the build and sound quality is hard to beat. I have the Control 28's on my patio and am shocked at how good they sound.

If I were you, I'd optimize the deck area and use positions 2 and 3.

I can't see a way to get good sound firing down the long alley labelled patio and do justice to the deck which will sound great with locations 2 and 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
outdoor speakers , sonos connect amp , speaker placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page