How to hook up subwoofer to amplifier with no sub-out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all please forgive my stupid question, i have searched google and the forums with no luck. I have a marantz pm7200 amplifier hooked up to a marantz dv6500 dvd player, connected to 2 dynaudio audience 52se's. Anyways, a friend just gave me his canton as 22 subwoofer and i cannot for the life of me figure out how to hook the thing up to my amplifier. Do i need some type of extra equipment to hook up a sub to my system? Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
The sub should have speaker level inputs/outputs. Wire from amp to sub and from sub to main speakers. Get the user's manual from Canton.

Kal

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found this quote on a site: "It can be connected to the ordinary speaker outputs of complete amplifiers, to the "Pre Out" sockets of preamplifiers or to special subwoofer outputs provided on many AV-amplifiers."

Thus, if your amp has no stereo or mono pre-amp-level output, you can use the speaker wires, running amp to sub, and then sub to speakers, or even just paralel the sub terminals with the stereo speaker terminals.

Manual here: http://www.canton.de/www/download/anleitungen/home.pdf

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
My system (new larger pix!)
post #4 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I just found a pic of the back panel. Your best bet is to use speaker wire, since the amp has no pre-out/amp-in RCA jacks. Plus, the manual link doesn't help.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Larry,

If you look at the back panel of the Marantz amp, in the top left hand corner there seems to be pre-out/line-in jacks (connected with jumpers).

I think it might be better to run line level from the Marantz to the subwoofer and then our from the subwoofer to the amp.

Best,
Sanjay

Sanjay
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the help i really appreciate it! I hooked the sub up like larry suggested and all seems to work fine. sdurani, i dont really understand how you are saying to connect the sub, what input/output on the amp would i use? It seems to be working fine for now but i am not sure if i am losing any quality by running the speakers through the sub. The next step is figuring out the settings on the sub, which i also have no clue how to do. Thanks again!
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

What he's asying is, if the amp has a pair of pre-out/amp-in jacks (with a pair of staple-shaped jumpers), remove the jumpers and, with two pairs of interconnects, run one from the pre-out jacks to the sub's RCA ins, and the other from the sub's RCA outs back to the amps amp-in (or main-in) jacks.

This is how an equalizer might be connected to the amp. Doing this will allow the sub's built-in crossover to redirect the bass from the main speakers to the sub, and should result in a slightly superior sound quality as compared to the way you have it now.

Larry
www.fineelectricco.com
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply Larry, looking at the back of the amp there are 2 staple jumpers in the back, connecting two input/outputs under the category "processor" So does this mean i have to plug my cd-player into the processor inputs, and the sub into the outputs? Or do i leave my cd-player hooked into the cd-player input still and use the two interconnects as you said, take out only one of the jumpers on the amp as it connects 1 set of in/outputs, run an an input interconnect from the amp to the output from the sub, and the other output from the amp to the input of the sub? Also the sub has 2 channel inputs and outputs, can i still get away with only 2 interconnects?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

touser,

Your Marantz is an 'integrated amp', which means that it contains two sections, a pre-amp and a power amplifier, in one chassis. These two sections are connected by those staple-shaped jumpers.

If you remove the jumpers and run interconnects from the pre-amp output to the line level inputs (RCA jacks) on your subwoofer, you will be sending an unamplified signal to the subwoofer. The subwoofer will keep the low frequencies for itself to reproduce, and pass the higher frequencies back to the Marantz. So you have to run interconnects from the subwoofer's line level outputs right back to the amplifier inputs on the Marantz. The signal still goes from the pre-amp to the power amplifier, but it makes a quick detour to have the bass frequencies filtered out.

The subwoofer's amplifier will amplify the lower frequencies, and the Marantz's amplifier will amplify the higher frequencies. You won't need to change the way your CD player is connected to the Marantz. However, you will need long interconnects to run from the Marantz to the subwoofer and back. You won't be using the speaker connections on the back of the subwoofer.

Best,
Sanjay

Sanjay
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply sdurani, the thing i am confused about now is the amp has 2 inputs and 2 outputs for the "processor" the sub also has 2 inputs (L + R) and 2 outputs. Now, do i need to have 4 interconect cables, 2 for both inputs on the amp and 2 for both outputs on the amp running to the appropriate in/outputs on the sub, or do i only need 2 cables running from 1 in and out from each device?

*edit*
Well, i only have two interconnect cables so i tried it with two of them with no success, i ran one from the processors output to the subwoofers input and the other from the processors input to the subwoofers output. Sense i only have 2 interconnect cables i found some composite cables lying around and figured they would work for testing purposes. I plugged both of them in making it 4 total connections, 2 outputs from the amp to 2 inputs on the sub, and 2 outputs from the sub to 2 inputs on the amp and still nothing came out of the sub.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try this to see if you can get sound out of the subwoofer. Use a pair of interconnects and run them from the jacks marked 'processor input' to the inputs on the back of the subwoofer. (Sounds counter-intuitive, but try it.)

If this works, then run another pair of interconnects from the subwoofer's outputs to the jacks marked 'processor output'. This should send the signal back to the Marantz (except for the bass that has been filtered away by the subwoofer).

No need to be confused about the inputs and outputs being in sets of 2; they're stereo pairs (left & right). What is confusing is the names of the in/out jacks on the Marantz. I used to have an old receiver where the inputs and outputs were marked 'record' and 'play'. For the life of me I couldn't figure out which was an input and which was an output.

Similarly, I think the jacks marked 'processor input' are actually the output of the pre-amp section (those connections would normally be routed to input of an outboard processor - hence the name). Likewise, the jacks marked 'processor output' are actually the inputs to the amplifier section of the Marantz (since they would normally receive the output of a processor).

Anyway, try the connections described in the first two paragraphs and let us know if you get sound out of the subwoofer.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #12 of 14 Old 05-11-2005, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the help sdurani, i am at work right now but when i get home i will try what you suggested. One thing that i am still not clear on however, sense the inputs and outputs on the sub are stereo L + R and so is the amp, and because i only have 2 interconnect cables the best i can run is mono, is that OK, or will it not work properly?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You need two sets of interconnnects: one pair to run the left/right signal to the subwoofer and another pair to run the stereo signal back to the Marantz.

You have to maintain stereo all the way through because that signal will eventually end up at your speakers, and you don't want those to play back in mono.

BTW, if this turns out to be too much trouble, you can always keep things the way they are now (subwoofer connected via speaker wire).

Best,
Sanjay

Sanjay
post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well i appreciate all the help, i tried as you suggested sdurani and it still didnt work so i went back to the speake wire route, now i need to find out where i can get a subwoofer test cd locally or if they are available online for download.
Closed Thread Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page