Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 357 Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using True RTA and found it qite god

My aplication is design and testing of Hi Fi.

Must say that I had quite same problems with the support given in setting up the sound card but the same manufacturer of the card reccomended in the.

True RTa site.

The information you have provided is not detailed enough. We need to
know exactly what you wanted to do?
In which application etc..?

The xxxxxxx is not designed for any kind of professional recording.
Our X-xx range of sound card might be sufficient depending on what you
wants to do, you may check our X-xx sound card available, check
specification page and see if that suit your needs.

I deally if you are looking for sound card designed for serious
professional music creation or recording, you may check out XXXXX

in the mean time I have found a very god alternative.

I have asked if I can post more details on the forum and "name names"
post #183 of 357 Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Got true RTA and it das what it says on the tin

Saved me 3 K to get a spectrum analiser.

The truble start with the sound card

Had major manufacturer card and could not set it up

When asked for help they told me that their cards are not designed for any serious work

Ceck out M-Audio if you need a decent sound card
post #184 of 357 Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

another newb getting started...

mobilepre usb / ecm8000. using 1/8 to 1/8 patch to loop line in to headphone out on the mobile pre and doing a truerta calibration, i got a very jagged line up around 130db! hmm...that ain't right.

used the generator to make a sine wave, but it looked square. can you say clip? duh...the red 'clip' light is lit on the mobilepre. turn down the gain until the sine is perfectly smooth, just short of clipping. maybe that's progress?

re-run the calibration. essentially dead flat at ~110db. that's more like it, no?

hook up the mic. load the calibration file provided in the very first post in this thread. 1/24 res, 100 avg. let it settle. background noise only. see attached. is a 20db delta normal? i have a PC running in the background, and the HVAC is on, which i think explains the peaks at 75/180hz. i'll turn them off for the real deal. but what about the ramps up at either end of the graph? seems odd...

totally unrelated: m-audio driver support is miserable. no plans for 64-bit XP at all, vista any-bit still in beta. i am using the native windows 'usb audio device' driver.
LL
post #185 of 357 Old 01-26-2009, 06:12 AM

Tanks dookie1

Will keep in mind advice regarding drivers.
post #186 of 357 Old 02-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Guys,

I bought a mobilepre and an ecm8000 and did the calibration using the 1/4" output and input lines and have the gain knob about 1/4 of the way up using channel 1 (left channel) and was able to achieve a perfectly flat line response.

My problem is running into how to hook up the RCA cables into my receiver. I have a 1/4" plug to standard RCA plugs (http://www.parts-express.com//pe/sho...82&PID=2777698) and curious if I should be using BOTH ends into my Onkyo 805 or just the left plug since I only calibrated it using the left channel. Each channel (1 and 2) are the left and right channels. If you use an adapter to split channel 1 for each rca plug then all it is doing is splitting the left channel twice correct?

I saw some people were using the 1/8 stereo line-in and line-outs to do their calibrations, is this the best method then hook up the red and white rca plugs into my receiver?

I have been reading all weekend and it seems there are many different ways of calibration the mobilepre. Has anyone figured out the easiest/best method?

Thanks for the help.
post #187 of 357 Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post

another newb getting started...

mobilepre usb / ecm8000. using 1/8 to 1/8 patch to loop line in to headphone out on the mobile pre and doing a truerta calibration, i got a very jagged line up around 130db! hmm...that ain't right.

Just curious but why are you using the headphone out instead of the line-out to do your calibration? I have the same setup and was able to obtain a flat calibration line using the 1/4" line-in and 1/4" line out.
post #188 of 357 Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

I am having problems getting the basic loop test to work.

I have an old M-Audio 410 sound card. I connected output 1-2 to input 1-2 after installing the necessary drivers. Windows can see the hardware but the TrueRTA software won't allow me to select Sound System Calibration from the Audio I/O menu. I assume there is something wrong with my configuration but I can see what it is.

I seem to be forced to use the M-Audio control panel to configure the recording settings but none of them seem to affect TrueRTA. When I poked around in the Windows Control Panel it seemed like a lot of options were gone.
post #189 of 357 Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM

I have included some pictures from a previous post and labeled them.

the one labeled 3 i understand is the peak power at that specific frequency but it is the other two that i am having trouble understanding. I'm not sure where these measurements/numbers are coming from because almost always 1 is a higher measurement than anything on the graph and for the most part 2 is too except that it is lower than 1. Would anyone be willing to give me an indepth explanation as to what those two numbers are measuring and how they are measured? it would be much appreciated
post #190 of 357 Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 AM

I reposted this in its own thread so please reply to it at the following thread link but im using this post as my third so that i can post urls. Please follow the link in the next post
post #191 of 357 Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 AM

post #192 of 357 Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am having problems getting the basic loop test to work.

The problem is that I am using the free demo version of the software. At the very bottom of the True RTA feature chart it shows that sound system calibration is only available with level 3 and level 4 of the software.
post #193 of 357 Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Most laptops don't do sound out and in at the same time. I use a Audigy external and it works fine. Behringer mic, etc. I don't like the sine generator, so I use an analog HP generator to do my distortion measurements. You can get some really odd graphs from chirp sometimes. Not sure it always knows when to grab the input. I use a screen capture program, Printscreen2000 for printing. Not a perfect tool, but you pay 10 times the cost for a better one. I must have tried 20 of them. Praxis has some possibilities. Zelscope is not bad. I always go back to True RTA as it just plain works well enough.
post #194 of 357 Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

I have another basic question about setting up my test environment with the M-Audio Delta 410. When I use the Windows XP microphone test everything seems to work fine: there is a signal on both the input and output side.

I am using channels 1/2 for the output and the Monitor for the microphone.

The True RTA software does generate a test signal but the microphone is not registering anything. The help in the RTA software is not very useful because the XP Advanced sound settings are grayed out. I have to use the M-Audio configuration console and it seems to be working pretty well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something else I can try?
post #195 of 357 Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Kind of discouraging as a person looking to possibly use RTA. Question after question go unanswered.
post #196 of 357 Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Kind of discouraging as a person looking to possibly use RTA. Question after question go unanswered.

Is this thread an official support channel?

I've been using RTA for a few years now without issues and given that you can download level one for free there's no risk in trying it out?

Cheers,

Mark

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #197 of 357 Old 11-06-2009, 09:08 AM

Hello all,
I have Truerta and I have been reading this thread on how to calibrate the soundcard and etc. Before reading this post I bought a Rolls MicPower 1(PB23), an ECM8000 and a SoundTech Lightsnake XLR mic to usb cable(STUSBXLR10). Is there any way to calibrate using what I have? I use it for car audio mainly. I use it to eq the signal then work on setting up the eq for the car. Will my line in work for just a signal in to determine the responce of certain outputs? Thanks in advance!
post #198 of 357 Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford212101 View Post

Hello all,
I have Truerta and I have been reading this thread on how to calibrate the soundcard and etc. Before reading this post I bought a Rolls MicPower 1(PB23), an ECM8000 and a SoundTech Lightsnake XLR mic to usb cable(STUSBXLR10). Is there any way to calibrate using what I have? I use it for car audio mainly. I use it to eq the signal then work on setting up the eq for the car. Will my line in work for just a signal in to determine the responce of certain outputs? Thanks in advance!

The separate phantom power supply is a little strange but It appears you have the right combination of hardware that it should work fine. Although possible it would be difficult to calibrate the loop from Line-Out to Mic-In and probably not worth the effort. You can still apply a mic calibration file if it is available but even that is not necessary. In order to feed a line level signal down the Lightsnake you may need to attenuate it first or risk overdriving the Lightsnake's mic preamp.

Regards,

John

John L. Murphy
Physicist/Audio Engineer
True Audio
http://www.trueaudio.com
post #199 of 357 Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 AM

Hi All,

I have purchased the ECM8000 and a M-Audio MobilePre USB, and I am curious as to which level of TureRTA to buy. I will be using this to set levels for each speaker, and to EQ each speaker based on my room response. Thing is, I only have a 10-band digital EQ per channel on my Denon AVR-2808. I know that Level 1 would not be useful for this application, but I wasn't sure which level would be appropriate. I would like to get the quick sweep option, so is Level 3 or 4 appropriate?

Thanks!
post #200 of 357 Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
^^^
I would think at a minimum you would want the 1/3 octive version.

Hope this helps
RayJr
post #201 of 357 Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I would look at purchasing the highest resolution you can which would be the Level 4 at 1/24 of an octave. Since we can easily hear the individual frequencies in the lower octaves, it is essential that you be able to get as close to the center of any peaks in those lower frequencies as possible (the higher the resolution the better). In addition, you will likely find that you want to utilize a parametric equalizer since it is unlikely you will be able to get on the center of any problematic frequencies using the band equalizer built into many popular receivers unless you get lucky. Best wishes!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #202 of 357 Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
1/24 of an octave is overkill....and would take FFFOOORRREEEVVVVEEERRR
to equalize a room.....
Since 1/24 Octave Band Equalizer would be VERY expensive,
you would have to use a Parametric Equalizer....which would
rapidly run out of filters....

I use 1/3 Octave analysis and 1/3 Octave Equalizer....
I only use it on my Sub-Woofer, since my AVR has built-in
equalization for 200 Hz and above....and I don't want to
figure out how to "insert" 5 additional channels of equalization.
post #203 of 357 Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

1/24 of an octave is overkill....and would take FFFOOORRREEEVVVVEEERRR
to equalize a room.....
Since 1/24 Octave Band Equalizer would be VERY expensive,
you would have to use a Parametric Equalizer....which would
rapidly run out of filters....

I use 1/3 Octave analysis and 1/3 Octave Equalizer....
I only use it on my Sub-Woofer, since my AVR has built-in
equalization for 200 Hz and above....and I don't want to
figure out how to "insert" 5 additional channels of equalization.

Hi holl_ands,

Actually, it is not overkill. In fact, it would be great if you could have higher resolution than 1/24th, but 1/24th is pretty darn good. I actually use a program that gives me the frequency resolution in 1/96th of an octave. The reason it is important is because you want to get exactly onto that peak or as close to it as possible. With 1/3rd of an octave, you may actually miss the peak and pull down the sides of the peak, not the peak itself. When determining where the peak lies, the more precise you are the better off you will be. With a parametric EQ, you can hit the peak exactly, but you need to know precisely where it is. If the subwoofers are aligned properly in the room, you should not have to deal with an excessive amount of peaks. I generally find I need to only deal with 2 or 3 on average. To simplify things greatly, I recommend an Audyssey SubEQ or SVS EQ if folks don't want the hassle of taking the time to calibrate manually since they devote the entire DSP chip to the lower octaves where it is most critical, where the receiver does not. The Audyssey piece works a little better IMHO, but both devices certainly get you on the right track. Best wishes!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #204 of 357 Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 AM

Thanks for your responses. I will be going with Level 3. I would like the ability to calibrate my sound card, and the ability to generate a test tone. However, I don't need the fidelity that Level 4 offers. While I'd love to know the location of every response peak and valley, I won't be able to fix them. I am dealing with the 9-band EQ that is internal to my Denon 2808, and that will not be changing.

Here's hoping that my next HT setup can actually make use of a 1/24 octave RTA!
post #205 of 357 Old 03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by direavenger View Post

Thanks for your responses. I will be going with Level 3. I would like the ability to calibrate my sound card, and the ability to generate a test tone. However, I don't need the fidelity that Level 4 offers. While I'd love to know the location of every response peak and valley, I won't be able to fix them. I am dealing with the 9-band EQ that is internal to my Denon 2808, and that will not be changing.

Here's hoping that my next HT setup can actually make use of a 1/24 octave RTA!

Don't expect to fix much of anything with a 9 band eq. You need to address the room first. Unless you have a calibrated mic, do not believe anything below 30Hz and do not believe anything above 10Khz. Otherwise you will be equalizing the mic and preamp, not your room. Your sound card is a lot flatter than the mic. It will roll off below 20 a bit. Usually good enough on the high end. Reality: a dB or so does not matter when you are dealing with tens of dB in how the room interacts with your speakers.

I use the heck out of my level 4. I prefer to generate my acoustic measurements in it and export them to Sound Easy. Easier. I will caution that if you leave it running for a long time, it will use up your resources and hang or crash. It does not like the sound card ( I use USB) to go away while it is running.

Here's hoping TrueRTA teaches you enough about rooms and speakers to know that your next system won't need a 1/24 octave EQ either. It will be money well spent.
post #206 of 357 Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm connecting an M Audio USB Transit to my laptop, using a Behringer ECM8000 Mic/UB802 Mixer, could someone confirm for running TrueRTA (not calibration) I connect the mixer line out to the line In of the Transit and not my laptop ? thks
post #207 of 357 Old 04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

I can't get the amplitude of the pink noise above about 50db, even with my receiver volume at the maximum. However a quick sweep does show a response of around 85db.

Is that normal?
post #208 of 357 Old 04-14-2010, 04:14 PM

I would think that is not normal, have you turned up the vol on your computer playback sound control panel and volume mixer, if you are using a mic mixer is it turned up enough ?
post #209 of 357 Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM
JHL
Advanced Member

I have all volume levels on the PC at the maximum. I am using Windows 7 so it was not quite the same as the instructions in the beginning of this thread but it was close.
post #210 of 357 Old 04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

There isnt any good reasons IMO to buy TruRTA when HOLM and ARTA both are very good measurement tools and they are free.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page