Monoprice Quality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am highly impressed by the prices of Monoprice. Are there products quality? How do they compare to Monster products performance wise(not money,I know they will blow them away for band to the buck).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I've made about 7 purchases from them and have been very pleased with the quality and performance.
post #3 of 54 Old 04-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

I bought a 35 foot DVI cable, and was amazed at the quality. DVI is specified for much shorter distances, a maximum of 5 meters I believe. Their cable was constructed supurbly, and I tested it on 1080P, it worked flawlessly. And the price was only $37.00 !!! I remember spending $100 for a 6' Montster DVI about a year ago because it was the only one available at CC.

I think their products are great, and the prices are a steal.

Highly Recommended!

Bob Smith
post #4 of 54 Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

A friend of mine purchased a 33' HDMI to HDMI, a 33' HDMI to DVI (maybe this one was 35', I do not recall exactly), and a 25' component cable from them at my recommendation. I recommended them after he came to me asking which Monster Cable model to get with a CC employee discount. He was looking at spending $180 or almost $400 for just a similarly sized HDMI to HDMI cable. The price difference was due to the difference between a "Low-end" vs "High-end" cable.

When I awoke from my shock induced comma upon hearing what Monster Cable was charging for a single digital cable, I googled HDMI and DVI cables, and I found Monoprice.com. At the price (about $100, shipped for all of the above cables), I figured he could not go wrong, really. In fact, he did not. The quality of all cables was excellent.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
-Vernon Sanders Law
post #5 of 54 Old 04-12-2006, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I've found their video cables to be pretty good, as others here report (DVI, VGA, and Component) and their prices are great. But their analog audio cables don't impress me much, and I wonder whether the Component cables are capable of the full frequency of the best HD content.

post #6 of 54 Old 04-12-2006, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I should be impressed on the quality of their cables. At least I hope so I just ordered a HDMI,3 digital coaxial,a toslink and component cables.
post #7 of 54 Old 04-14-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok,the cables showed up. Quick review,GREAT QUALITY, took 3 business days(USPS Priority) to get here even though Iam in the same state as Monoprice. The audio cables(3 digitial coaxials,1 fiber optic) were dead on performance wise with some of the Monster cables I have but a fraction of the price. I couldnt notive a difference with the HDMI cables over my old component cables for my HDTV Direct TV receiver video wise,audio is another story,sound is alot more clear at higher volumes(compared to the right/left analog audio cables). I plan on using the HDMI input on the TV for my Samsung HD-755 I plan on buying this weekend anyways(I will bump the HDTV Direct TV to component and digital coaxial).Overall I am very pleased at my purchase and will defianetely order from Monoprice again.
post #8 of 54 Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

They are hard to resist, glad you liked them.
post #9 of 54 Old 09-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Just received and connected a 50 foot hdmi (comcast dvr to panasonic 42); no pixels, no problems. There is a lot of chatter about long hdmi cables but this cable works well and it is heavily built. Monoprice is easy to deal with.
TW
post #10 of 54 Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Another strong recommendation for monoprice here as well. I have had absolutely no quality problems with any of the cables I have purchased from them before, and recommend them to all my friends.
post #11 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I found out recently that several of the Monoprice cables are made in the same factory as Monster's cables. They look identical
post #12 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

I found out recently that several of the Monoprice cables are made in the same factory as Monster's cables. They look identical

You may be shocked to learn also that many of the "high End" cables are all the same inside as well. There just are not that many places producing cables. Or speaker drivers etc..

Its a high markup sale for most places.
post #13 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Which cables? That's interesting, but not surprising. Heck, I though several of the monoprice cables I've bought were BETTER quality than the regular Monster cables one sees all over.

post #14 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hahaha, that is hilarious.
post #15 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've had some problems with their 3.5mm cables for headphones. The interior connector isn't designed well enough to provide both channels consistently. You really have to push the connector in and rub it around until the second channel picks up, and it'll still drop out now and then. I had them replace the cable three times, same problem. I had no problem getting it to work with 3.5mm cables from other companies. Seems to be a design flaw. I communicated the problem to them and didn't get the feeling they were going to improve the design at all. Other cables have worked fine, although the 3 RCA component cable doesn't provide a great connection - it can fall out too easily. Their 35 foot HDMI high-gauge cable was solid and works great, however - just a little difficult to work with a cable that thick.
post #16 of 54 Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Which cables? That's interesting, but not surprising. Heck, I though several of the monoprice cables I've bought were BETTER quality than the regular Monster cables one sees all over.

It was component video cables as I recall.
post #17 of 54 Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My entire system is comprised of monoprice cables,I replaced several monster component video cables, optical and interconnects that were superior to monster's overpriced junk...
post #18 of 54 Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM

I just had my first experience with their cables, and I would have to say I wish I found them years ago.

HDMI, Toslink and DVI cables have all been excellent, and I DARE say, better construction quality then a lot of Monster cables I've come across. My HT is not finished yet, but the testing I've done thus far has been fantastic.

I think their "low" price hints at poor quality, bad service or just cheap goods. Usually, that is the case. But Monoprice has done just the opposite. I am planning on sticking with them until the four horseman come.
post #19 of 54 Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 AM

made my 1st purchase with monoprice 2 weeks ago, got an HDMI cable along with a toslink and I am really happy with them, a friend of mine told me about them and I am happy that he did because I would not have used HDMI for the plain fact that a 4ft HDMI cable from CC was 120bucks!!! I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a cable, it's not that I don't have the $$ but that's ridicules.
post #20 of 54 Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Monoprice is amazing. They ship to Canada hassle free, and have great after sale support. I've recommended them to everyone I know.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #21 of 54 Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:

It's interesting, I have a few Monster Z-Reference cables and I recently started purchasing Monoprice cables. They have the same jacket and basically look identicle.

I love Monoprice cables and especially their prices!
post #22 of 54 Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

It's interesting, I have a few Monster Z-Reference cables and I recently started purchasing Monoprice cables. They have the same jacket and basically look identicle.

I love Monoprice cables and especially their prices!

They are either the same cable or they are not.
My money is on not the same cable.

Compare the 2 and see if you are able to notice a difference in sound or picture.
That's what matters.
post #23 of 54 Old 05-04-2007, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilM View Post

Compare the 2 and see if you are able to notice a difference in sound or picture.
That's what matters.

In a true test (i.e., double-blind), the only difference you'll feel is in your bank account.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #24 of 54 Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

I don't disagree that the HDMI cable is well built and work great, but has anyone done a side by side visual of something more expensive? Personally I am glad they exist because I wouldn't be watching TV on my 3 HD TV's without their HDMI cables because I would never pay $30 a foot no matter how much better it was. I'd connect things with a hanger before Id pay that for a cable...Hey and not to mention when component was the rage they were the same ridiculous price, now they are cheaper. Cables are always so expensive because its as critical as gas is to running your car.
I have a 3', 10' and 15' that all work great! The jackets on the jacketed cables are real nice for my LCD on a swing arm, it protects the cable from rubbing the conduit in the wall.

Watch out for the 4" built in extension on the HDMI wall plate though, The extension is on the room side, don't quite understand it, looks weird and is not needed I guess unless you want it to penetrate a media center cabinet.

Barry Bonds hit me 83 this year. Roethlisberger throw me 48 TD's the other year.
post #25 of 54 Old 05-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

In a true test (i.e., double-blind), the only difference you'll feel is in your bank account.

I am assuming that you are assuming this, right?

I didn't disagree w/ you, but the guy has both there. Just b/c 2 sisters look alike does not mean they are the same. Bad analogy, but I am sure the point is there.
post #26 of 54 Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have used several of their optical to coax converters, optical cables, and low end component cables. All worked perfectly fine. They also ship very fast. I sure wish the were around several years ago when I bought most of my cables.

Jay
post #27 of 54 Old 05-12-2007, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have their HDMI cables connecting my STB & DVD to my AVR... and then from AVR to Elite panel... excellent quality, excellent connection - no problems.

I use their TOSLink cable to connect my CD player to AVR. Ditto.

I use their RCA connector wire to connect my to my sub's LFE. Ditto.

I have their banana plugs on all my speaker connections. Ditto.

I sent back the speaker wire, however. I just didn't like the fact that is was dual copper (with line down one conductor denoting polarity). I prefer the look of the copper/silver wire. But, that's just me.

Outstanding all the way around. Quick shipping. Excellent customer service. No hassle return policy.

Highly Recommend.

-steve

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #28 of 54 Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 AM

I am setting up a new home theater , and would like some assistance [ please let me know if there is a better forum for posting this question].

I have the components purchased or ordered, but want to make sure I am buying the right cables. Everyone on these forums has convinced me to go with monoprice, I just want to make sure I choose the correct items.

My system will be:
* PS3/blu ray
* Comcast HD cable DVR
* Onkyo TXSR605 receiver
* Polk RM 6880 speaker set
* Sony XBR2 46 LCD

Here is my monoprice shopping cart:

620 Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm S/PDIF Subwoofer - 12ft [CT] $4.48

2219 HDMI to HDMI CL2 Rated Cable (24AWG) w/ net jacket- 6ft (Gold Plated) $17.93

2412 HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) $4.77 x 2 = $9.54

2764 PREMIUM 6FT Optical Toslink 8.0mm Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector $6.02 x 2 = $12.04

2769 PREMIUM 6FT 3-RCA Component Video RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm CL2 Rated Cable $12.54 $12.54

I plan HDMI from the PS3 and cable box to receiver, and then HDMI out from receiver to the display.

I also will be setting up an alternate set of connections of component video and toslink audio from cable directly to TV (bypassing the receiver) for when I just want to watch some quick garbage TV and don't care about 5.1 sound.

I am considering also buying an upconverting DVD player depending on how satisfied I am with the PS3's SD-DVD playback, so will get another set of component video cable and toslink for that purpose.

My questions are:
1) how does one choose between 24 and 28 gauge HDMI?
2) do I need ferrite cores?
3) Is 6 foot too long, or should I just get 3 footers (these components will all live in the same cabinet)?
4) am I buying the best toslink?

Also, I am going to use a standard RCA cable to come in from my wall cable jack. I will feed this into an RCA line splitter. One line will go out from this splitter straight to my TV (I know I will lose the HDTV signal, this is just for basic TV). The other line will go out from the splitter to my cable box to decode the HD info and send to the receiver.

My questions are:
1) Which cables suit this RCA purpose? Are there quality features to look for?
2) Does monoprice or someone similar sell RCA splitters?
3) Does this split change or ruin my HDTV signal?
4) Would you recommend a line conditioner as part of the surge protector as well (e.g. Panamax type box) as all the BestBuy/CircuitCity sales guys recommend?

Thanks in advance, and did I forget anything?

Jeff
post #29 of 54 Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

I am setting up a new home theater , and would like some assistance [ please let me know if there is a better forum for posting this question].

I have the components purchased or ordered, but want to make sure I am buying the right cables. Everyone on these forums has convinced me to go with monoprice, I just want to make sure I choose the correct items.

My system will be:
* PS3/blu ray
* Comcast HD cable DVR
* Onkyo TXSR605 receiver
* Polk RM 6880 speaker set
* Sony XBR2 46 LCD

Here is my monoprice shopping cart:

620 Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm S/PDIF Subwoofer - 12ft [CT] $4.48

2219 HDMI to HDMI CL2 Rated Cable (24AWG) w/ net jacket- 6ft (Gold Plated) $17.93

2412 HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) $4.77 x 2 = $9.54

2764 PREMIUM 6FT Optical Toslink 8.0mm Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector $6.02 x 2 = $12.04

2769 PREMIUM 6FT 3-RCA Component Video RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm CL2 Rated Cable $12.54 $12.54

I plan HDMI from the PS3 and cable box to receiver, and then HDMI out from receiver to the display.

I also will be setting up an alternate set of connections of component video and toslink audio from cable directly to TV (bypassing the receiver) for when I just want to watch some quick garbage TV and don't care about 5.1 sound.

I am considering also buying an upconverting DVD player depending on how satisfied I am with the PS3's SD-DVD playback, so will get another set of component video cable and toslink for that purpose.

My questions are:
1) how does one choose between 24 and 28 gauge HDMI?
2) do I need ferrite cores?
3) Is 6 foot too long, or should I just get 3 footers (these components will all live in the same cabinet)?
4) am I buying the best toslink?

Also, I am going to use a standard RCA cable to come in from my wall cable jack. I will feed this into an RCA line splitter. One line will go out from this splitter straight to my TV (I know I will lose the HDTV signal, this is just for basic TV). The other line will go out from the splitter to my cable box to decode the HD info and send to the receiver.

My questions are:
1) Which cables suit this RCA purpose? Are there quality features to look for?
2) Does monoprice or someone similar sell RCA splitters?
3) Does this split change or ruin my HDTV signal?
4) Would you recommend a line conditioner as part of the surge protector as well (e.g. Panamax type box) as all the BestBuy/CircuitCity sales guys recommend?

Thanks in advance, and did I forget anything?

Jeff

A line conditioner is a complete waste of money. I know that there people on this forum that will tell you otherwise, but there are no gremlins and evil monsters in your power lines. Yes, you do need a surge protector. That is a legitimate concern because it can destroy your equipment. however, what little improvement, if any is not worth the money for a line conditioner. these items have huge margins and the BB and CC employees are pushed to sell them for that reason. your money is better spent elsewhere.
post #30 of 54 Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post

A line conditioner is a complete waste of money. I know that there people on this forum that will tell you otherwise, but there are no gremlins and evil monsters in your power lines. Yes, you do need a surge protector. That is a legitimate concern because it can destroy your equipment. however, what little improvement, if any is not worth the money for a line conditioner. these items have huge margins and the BB and CC employees are pushed to sell them for that reason. your money is better spent elsewhere.

There are SO MANY types out there. Do you recomend a certain manufacturer or model?

Also, any input on the cables?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page