post #31 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by epete View Post

I believe the only advantage of the optical would be to carry the signal over longer distances with minimal Bit Error Rate. Correct?

For standard 1mm plastic fibre it's only rated for 10m max. Coax can easily better that. Error rates for either type shouldn't be much different providing there is sufficient level at the receiver.

Note to self: read post dates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

Do you believe that as a rule musicians have better hearing? Would that also include Pete Townsend?

You should have mentioned Lars Ulrich. It seems that simply more noise equals better to him. Death Magnetic CD, anyone?
post #33 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnathan View Post

I think we're in agreement in that comparing X vs. Y, most people really can't hear a difference. The difference between a musician and non-musician is perhaps that the musician, in knowing how instruments are played or how to sing, understands the mechanics of a song. By this rationale, I think musicians are more likely to hear the individual components of a song.

In bringing up Pete Townshend you touch on two things. First, he has tinnitus which doesn't necessarily mean that he has any hearing loss. I'm neither an audiologist nor an Otolaryngologist, but I'm willing to concede that given his musicianship and experience as a producer that Townshend hears more than I do in music and very likely 99% of the listening public.

Second, the early recordings by The Who were made on what... 4 and 8 track recorders at best? Without the benefit of even being stereo recordings. In support of your final statement above, I think that recording musicians are keenly aware that there's a point of diminishing returns in home stereos (and home theater) in that you can't reproduce what wasn't there to begin with. In my ever so humble opinion, that diminishing point is using better playback equipment than the equipment used to make the initial recording.

-Jeff

None of the traits you sight are exclusive to musicians. There are many people who don't know squat about playing musical instruments, but are keenly aware of all of the traits that make high fidelity music listening enjoyable.

An exception might be for players of acoustic instruments. They may have a little more insight into how those instruments really sound.
post #34 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone check out the wiki link?

2nd paragraph:

Tinnitus is not a disease, but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes that can include: ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, wives, or nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up.

post #35 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie View Post

Did anyone check out the wiki link?

2nd paragraph:

Tinnitus is not a disease, but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes that can include: ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, wives, or nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up.

I have tinnitus, which is why I was so easily able to refer to the people you go to see to have it assessed (an audiologist and an Otolarynologst - aka an ear nose and throat doctor). The effects are different for each person, as has been determined empirically via quantitative tests that measure hearing loss.

-Jeff
post #36 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnathan View Post

I have tinnitus, which is why I was so easily able to refer to the people you go to see to have it assessed (an audiologist and an Otolarynologst - aka an ear nose and throat doctor). The effects are different for each person, as has been determined empirically via quantitative tests that measure hearing loss.

-Jeff

Was yours caused by your wife?

And some killjoy edited the wiki article.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #37 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Was yours caused by your wife?

I had mine before I got married... but I still have it. And, sometimes I wonder if being married has anything to do with it.

-Jeff
post #38 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Selective hearing is a decision after marriage.
I've had my hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear for 40 years. Not a "fun" thing.
post #39 of 40 Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Bastards!!
post #40 of 40 Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Here is copy from OPPO's manual about optical and cable connect:
NOTE
􀁸 Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby
TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the
coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track
will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please
use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or
use the multi-channel analog outputs if you do not (see page 16).
􀁸 Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical
digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.
􀁸 Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio
discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVDAudio
in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analog audio connections.

So If your receiver has the 5.1 audio inputs that's the way I'd go
biggrin.gif
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page