Replacement Speaker Wires for Spherex - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I'm a novice when it comes to these sorts of things, and I was hoping that somebody may have done what I'm trying to do, or may be able to steer me in the right direction.

I own a Spherex Xbox 5.1 Surround Sound System, and I recently moved to a new apartment where the TV and couch placement are such that one of the rear speakers does not reach the subwoofer. Since the rear cables are 23 feet long and 22 gauge, I decided to replace them with a 30 ft cable at 16 gauge (which I derived form this website: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable after reading the the Spherex speakers are 6 ohms).

Now, the Spherex system is such that the speakers and subwoofer both have RCA plugs, and the wires have RCA connectors on both ends. Finding a 16-gauge wire of that type was difficult, so I decided to try making my own with 16-gauge wire and solderless RCA connectors which I picked up from Radio Shack. Unfortunately, the hole on the solderless connector is too small to fit the thick 16-gauge wire through. Was I foolish to expect solderless RCA connectors to work with 16-gauge wire? Is there another solution for me now that I already bought a 100 ft spool of 16-gauge wire? Will this post be made sticky to serve as an example of the dumbest thing ever attempted on the history of these boards?

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

I had plans for doing the same type of cable upgrade and I don't think you'll be able to take that easy of a route (ie. compression RCA plugs.) I made an even more expensive boo-boo and bought some Eichmann RCA plugs @ $40 for 4!! These were made for interconnects and couldn't accept bigger than 24 gauge wire.
Well, you've got the wire, just buy these:
http://cgi.*********/20-GLS-Audio-RC...QQcmdZViewItem
and a soldering iron and some silver bearing solder from Rat Shack. I called that guys that sell these and they are going to be a tight fit. You may even need to do a light sanding on the case surrounding the female connector.
It may be a little more effort than you wanted, but thow a little colored heatshrink around the end of the plug as a strain relief and you are deffinately going to have a MUCH better set of cables that you will enjoy and can be proud of!
If you would like any further assistance/suggestions, just ask. I can also send you pictures of the awesome cables I made for under $100. This was my first time at making speaker cables and it was big fun!

Cheers,

Bryan

p.s. By the way, I LOVED my Spherex when I had them. I just got the upgrade bug and my wallet (and my wife's seemingly infinite patience) has been shrinking steadily ever since!
Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Doc,

Thanks a ton for responding. I just have a couple of questions. First, would picking up these "locking" RCA plugs eliminate the need for the shrinkwrap strain relief stuff?

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...duct_Code=RL10

I ask because I'm looking for the simplest set-up possible. The less I have to do, the less likely it is that I'll screw something up (hence the solderless connectors I was drawn to at first).

Also, I don't think I'm really clear on what you mean with the sanding of the case. I guess that will become clear to me as I progress. I'll try connecting the unsoldered plugs first before I go through all the trouble, to make sure that everything will ultimately fit before I bother with soldering and all that.

Thanks again for your help, man. Hopefully I'll be able to have some fun in the process like you did, without flipping out in a rage when I destroy one of these expensive RCA plugs with my incompetence.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Chris,

Those ARE the exact plugs I suggested in my last post. And yes, it utilizes a strain-relief set-screw so please be careful not to overtighten.
The sanding I suggested will be so you can fit those plugs into the satellites. They, being of the locking variety, will be much wider than those molded connectors that are on the "spaghetti" wire that came with the Spherex.

Soldering will be pretty straight-forward. Just make sure you connect the same section (of the cable pair) to the same part of the plug (ie. the 16 gauge wire consists of a pair in separate jackets. They usually use some method to make a distiction between them, like one side will have a raised spine or it will be marked with a stripe. You just need to make sure you connect the marked (or unmarked) side to both the pin or the cylinder of the RCA plug.) The picture that they have in the link you provided shows a plug with the cable soldered in place.
Sorry to be so wordy, but I think you can have a great time putting something like this together and I would love to help make it as painless as possible.
Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Cheers,

Bryan
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Doc,

Oops, I think I may have ordered the wrong ones. Well, not "wrong" per se, but not the ones I was referring to in that link. When I looked at the URL to the link you posted (since part of the link was replaced with *****s), I saw the term RS20, which led me to these:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...duct_Code=RS20

I thought those were the ones you were recommending, and I just happened upon the others while I browsed the site.

At any rate, I called speakerrepair.com, and the guy told me that the connectors above would be fine for my needs, and since the heat shrink strain relief tubes are so cheap, I figured I could save a little money by doing a bit more work. So once I get the connectors in the mail, I'll take a look at them and the wire I have, then see what I can find at the local Radio Shacks in the way of heat shrink tubing. Maybe some nice clear ones so they don't interfere with the aesthetics of the connectors, which I think look pretty nice (not that anyone will really be looking at them).

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'll check in once I get the ball rolling to let you know how it went. I just got started on looking into room acoustics, and I'm starting to think that I may have to tinker with the location of my subwoofer, so I'd like to have a better idea about where it will ultimately be positioned before I go cutting up my wire. As a non-hobbyist, this is turning into an awful lot more work than I originally bargained for, but hopefully when all is said and done, the time I put into researching and putting this stuff together will be worth it!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, you can save a few bucks on the non-locking RCAs. On top of that, the less metal, the better. Check out the Eichmann Bullet Plug and you'll see what I mean.
I'm glad you are taking the time to tweak your set-up and room! Way to go!! Have you purchased a SPL meter? You will be amazed what moving the Sub a few inches this way or that can do for the overall sound integration (peaks, null, standing waves...oh my!)
Anyhoo, take your time. It would make more sense to get my attention again with a PM.

Best wishes,

Bryan
Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM

I also bought the Spherex 5.1 set for my living room.

I was toying with the idea of using it's excellent satellite speakers with a regular receiver. IMHO that would be doable, either with the included speaker wire after removing the RCA plug from one end (the wire itself is double and contains the needed "positive" and "negative" strands), or one could just buy some similar wire from Radio Shack and still preserve the originally included ones.

(In my area Radio Shack has 18-gauge speaker cable in brown colored jackets with RCA plugs - the description from the label says "For connection between speaker and amp/receiver * phono plug to phono plug" - 12, 25 or 50 feet. The 50 feet one costs ~ $13. Tis is the thickest wire of this type that they sell.)

If OP would be satisfied with stepping up to 18-gauge from 22, this could be a solution too... (Although the wires that came with my set are already 20-gauge based on the marking on the jacket...)

Too many to list. ;)
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You think that was a dumb thing to do, wait until you hear this..
I am in exactly similar situation as you are in.. using the Xbox speakers as my rears.. my speaker guage is 12 .. I also bought over 200 feet of cable and now will need to figure out how to transition the 12guage wire to the spherex xbox speaker and keep it aesthetically pleasing as well. . I am sure the thread you have started will be of immense help. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPowers View Post

Okay, so I'm a novice when it comes to these sorts of things, and I was hoping that somebody may have done what I'm trying to do, or may be able to steer me in the right direction.

I own a Spherex Xbox 5.1 Surround Sound System, and I recently moved to a new apartment where the TV and couch placement are such that one of the rear speakers does not reach the subwoofer. Since the rear cables are 23 feet long and 22 gauge, I decided to replace them with a 30 ft cable at 16 gauge (which I derived form this website: http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable after reading the the Spherex speakers are 6 ohms).

Now, the Spherex system is such that the speakers and subwoofer both have RCA plugs, and the wires have RCA connectors on both ends. Finding a 16-gauge wire of that type was difficult, so I decided to try making my own with 16-gauge wire and solderless RCA connectors which I picked up from Radio Shack. Unfortunately, the hole on the solderless connector is too small to fit the thick 16-gauge wire through. Was I foolish to expect solderless RCA connectors to work with 16-gauge wire? Is there another solution for me now that I already bought a 100 ft spool of 16-gauge wire? Will this post be made sticky to serve as an example of the dumbest thing ever attempted on the history of these boards?

Thanks for reading.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Was I foolish to expect solderless RCA connectors to work

yes
Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 AM

may I know how do you guys place the real speakers? behind your seating position or beside your seating position and facing you?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Hey guys...
I'm looking for the Spherex 5.1 System or just the satellites and the remote control.
Does anybody on this thread have them, if yes wanna sell it?
thanx in advance,
Spiktsu
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread,

I should have done more research:

My amplifier died and I'm redoing my basement, so before I put the drywall up I started running speaker wire (Insulated 16 gauge)

Can I use this wire to connect the spherex satellties with a standard receiver?

If so can I use this type of connector to connect the 16 gauge speaker wire to the satellites?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-24K-GOLD-plated-solderless-RCA-Screw-Audio-Cable-CONNECTOR-PLUG-44-ay-/170872561069?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27c8cc5dad
Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray99 View Post

Sorry to bump an old thread,

I should have done more research:

My amplifier died and I'm redoing my basement, so before I put the drywall up I started running speaker wire (Insulated 16 gauge)

Can I use this wire to connect the spherex satellties with a standard receiver?

Yes.
Quote:

Yes.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM

Thank you so much Arny. Just making sure. I understand it's going down guagewise for wires from 22~ to 16.