AVR-987 & Using SPL "Help Please" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy & healthy New Year !
I'm hoping someone can can help me with these questions about setting up my speakers with the use of an SPL meter. I've read all the threads incl. Steve LaMer's article on using Radio Shack SPL but still am a bit confused.

I have a Denon AVR-987 which is identical to the 2807. I have a Rdio Shack SPL and am about to begin by setting the receiver's Main Volume to the suggested "Reference 0" dB.
My problem is when I select "DVD' from the function dial the Main Volume range is -2.5dB to -80.0dB, without a zero available? If I select the "TV" setting from the function dial the Main Volume range is +18.0db - -80.0db, with a zero setting available. I have the AVIA DVD and wanted to use it's pink signal to set the receiver's Main Volume but as I indicated, I don't have a zero setting with the DVD function selected. If it's important, I'm using an HDMI from my DVD player to the AVR-987. I'm using Component & optical audio from my cable box to the AVR-987. The AVR-987 is connected to my HDTV via HDMI.

2nd question: I have been reading conflicting info with regard to facing the SPL meter. Does the meter face the up at the ceiling or face forward at the front of the room, main speakers. Steve LeMer's article doesn't mention this.

Thank you so much for any assistance in advance.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
First, the "Reference 0bd" on the volume indicator is a THX thing. Not all receivers will work this way. You need to check your receiver out first.

Take you SPL meter and play a test tone from the Avia disk with the volume at -10db. Check the meter and then turn your volume down to -20db. If the SPL meter registers a real drop of 9/11db in room just set your volume at -10db instead of 0db and calibrate to 75db. (this will give you 85db at the non-present 0db.) If your measured drop is not the same as the volume indicator just set the levels the same and don't worry about the "reference" stuff.

Second, you can point the meter anyway you want as long as you do not move it during the testing. Pointing the meter straight up is the easy way of doing this. Directivity only becomes a major factor with close range high SPL measuring. An SPL meter mic is omni-directional for the most part.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-01-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
soho54,
thank you for taking the time and helping me. I appreciate it!

Regards,
Eric
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page