Room treatments for living room with sloping ceiling and glass door - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Attached is the layout of my living room. The bass traps in the diagram are planned for the corners but haven't been purchased yet. The seating opposite the TV is a large leather sofa, and there is also a large leather chair up against the glass door, angled towards the TV. The sloping ceiling is popcorn-style (yuck, but that's how the place was built).

The speakers are Polk Rti6 bookshelf each sitting on a glass-topped Sanus stand (the NF204b on this page: http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_sto...l/natural.html ), with a Polk Csi3 on the shelf below the TV. The sub is a Mirage S12.

The floor is porcelian tiles, so a large rug is a must. After that and the bass traps, what next? Acoustic panels on the wall above/behind the seating area, and how much area do I need to cover? Behind the TV and speaker area? Would panels on the far wall in the dining area make a difference? Or the vertical surfaces of the kitchen counter? Should I get a thick curtain to replace or cover the blinds and glass door? How important is it do to anything with the ceiling, given its height and slope? What other suggestions do you have? Thanks.

P.S.
I am also thinking about upgrading the front speakers (probably to Ascend 340SE or NHT Classic 3) and adding surrounds, but that's after the room treatments are done.

livroom2.pdf 47.8837890625k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Difficult room, with the sliding door. First things I would do:

1. move couch a couple of feet off rear wall if you can
2. toe-in speakers to minimize side-wall interaction
3. heavy curtain for the glass wall
4. thick sound absorption directly behind listening position
5. area rug or carpeting definite must

I wouldn't worry about the ceiling or the kitchen or dining room areas. Do the first five things and see where you stand.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

In addition to the things mentioned above, I'd consider some panels directly behind the front speakers and another horizontally up high over the TV.

In the dining area, while not the most important thing, I think 2-3 panels on that wall opposite the glass door would help with general decay control.

Bryan

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Bryan Pape - Lead Acoustician
GIK Acoustics

post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It would also be better if you could move the TV and main speakers to in front of the sliding glass door. That way, you could rotate the couch and get it away from the wall. You would also be taking advantage of the existing symmetry of the room. A must for this situation would be the heavy drapes in front of the glass door. You would want them to be lightproof, of course. They would absorb medium and high frequencies, and the lows would pass through them and the glass door.

- Terry

Terry Montlick Laboratories
Home Theater Acoustics
Critical Listening Rooms
Design, Evaluation, Alpha Certification®
www.tmlaboratories.com
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all your responses.

Putting the TV parallel to the glass door did cross my mind, and now that you mentioned it and I've thought about it more it does seem like a good idea. It would make running the wires more challenging and I'd have to do a lot of rethinking about where to place the sub and whether to put the traps or the component stands in the corners. But it would probably give a better end result, with the TV being fully visible from the dining area and no wall right behind the couch.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Would it be a bad idea to put the speakers in the corners on top of the traps? Would them being in the corner distort the sound too much even if the walls had acuostic panels?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It is not generally a good idea to put speakers in corners, as boundary effects can be hard to manage even with treatment. And I would also think that this would put the speakers at too wide an angle for your viewing/listening distance.

- Terry

Terry Montlick Laboratories
Home Theater Acoustics
Critical Listening Rooms
Design, Evaluation, Alpha Certification®
www.tmlaboratories.com
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page