Would optical digital output take the place of 6 channel RCA output for DVD-Audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bear with me, I'm on a learning curve, having upgraded from a simple Yamaha model to an HK AVR 645. I have an HK DVD 31, and currently I'm running 6 RCA plugs. The way I understand, it's specifically for 5.1 DVD Audio.

I was thinking of buying an optical cable to see if it will improve the sound overall. If I do that, would that also work for the 6 channel output? I'd like to get rid of all those extra cords. I don't even use it much -- I only own about three audio DVDs. It seems to me, listening to them using Logic 7 sounds just as good. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
It will not do. You may get some stereo output via optical from DVD-As but you will not get full-resolution MCH. Logic 7 is fine but it is, imho, inferior to discrete hi-rez.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #3 of 3 Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can use the optical option if you buy dts music discs. There's quite a library out there.

SACD and DVD-A are decoded in the player. The manufacturers specified it that way so their music cannot be ripped, and to record the analog signals would require a 6 channel tape recorder, a product which does not exist in the consumer market, to my knowledge.

I love my 5.1 hi-rez. I now listen to mostly SACD and dts. The dts signal is decoded in the receiver on my system. Therefore, using the optical out works for that format. The only comparison I can make to DD is on movies, but when both soundtracks are available I like dts better than DD--IMHO it has higher gain, better signal to noise ratio, and the channel separation seems to beat DD. It's also damn good for multichannel music if your sound processor is capable of decoding dts.

I'm disappointed that my new iPod doesn't support the SACD or DVD-A MCH digital signal, assuming there is some way to access it. No mention of dts in the "iTunes and iPod for Dummies" book I got. For now the iPod is used only for the stereo CD's.

Doug

YD,E./PNB

I took a speed-reading course and read "War and Peace" in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.

Woody Allen (1935 - )
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page