Optical-In To 6 Plug RCA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Very much a newbie in the forum so take it easy on me!

Have a home cinema audio related problem.. and i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff.

Am after getting a new surround sound system and would like to hook it up to my XBOX - so i've to buy one of these fancy advanced scart-cables with an optical cable to output the sound from the XBOX.

But my realised my surround system does not have an optical in... it simply has two sections - 'Audio In' and 'Audio Out'. Both with 6 inputs for RCA Plugs (Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Center and Woofer). I realise 'Audio Out' is for the actual speakers which means i need six connections for the 'Audio In'.

Bit of a longshot but any way around this? Is there any plug capable of converting the optical-in into a 6 plug RCA type system? I think a decoder would do it also but they're not exactly cheap so a cheaper alternative would be preferable.

My girlfriend bought me the surround sound system for me and she's very proud of it and i'd hate to tell her there's not much i can do with it so even analog sound coming outta the system would do, though digital would be preferable.

Many thanks in advance all!

Regards,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Perhaps if you provided the make/model# of the surround sound system, someone can provide a solution/recommendation.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You're not going to find the cable you're looking for. The optical cable would normally carry an encoded digital signal whereas the 6 RCA are decoded analog signals. Usually anything that has a 6 channel analog input would also have digital inputs - both optical and coax. Are you sure there isn't an optical input? What about a coax digital input - the optical can be converted to the coax.

Ed
post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2007, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Perhaps if you provided the make/model# of the surround sound system, someone can provide a solution/recommendation.

It's the H&B SH-155 (can't post a link to it but google it and you'll find it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

You're not going to find the cable you're looking for. The optical cable would normally carry an encoded digital signal whereas the 6 RCA are decoded analog signals. Usually anything that has a 6 channel analog input would also have digital inputs - both optical and coax. Are you sure there isn't an optical input? What about a coax digital input - the optical can be converted to the coax.

Ed

Nope.. the only connections at the back are the 6 RCA with audio-in.

So there's absolutely nothing i can do?! Anything to get even passable sound?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 AM

He doesn't have any digital inputs, because he doesn't have a reciever/pre/pro. The H&B is an amplifier and speaker combo. In order to use your speakers with a digital source, you would need a preamp/processor. It would decode the XBOX's output and have RCA's for each input on your speakers.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoldier View Post

He doesn't have any digital inputs, because he doesn't have a reciever/pre/pro. The H&B is an amplifier and speaker combo. In order to use your speakers with a digital source, you would need a preamp/processor. It would decode the XBOX's output and have RCA's for each input on your speakers.

Cheers lostsoldier.

Any links to some moderately priced ones?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 AM

Pre/Pro's, are usually more expensive than recievers(preamp/processor with built in amp). It can be done and since you want to keep the speaker/amp combo you have, I don't have links, but a Midiland ADS 4000 would work. Another option to keep costs down is to find a receiver that allows you to use an external amp.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers lostsoldier.

Thinking of picking up the Creative Decoder DDTS-100 which should do the job.

Thanks for the help again!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page