home theater diagram? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi there,

first time poster, been lurking for a few weeks. i used to be a real audiophile in the 80's, but other hobbies spread my interest out, and the next thing i knew technology had totally blown past me, with regard to home theater.

i am having some difficulty in understanding hdmi cables, what their purpose is (video? audio? both?), as well as a specific problem in getting my system hooked up correctly.

----------------------------
edited one day later
----------------------------

dmspen,

thanks very much for your assistance. i have the dolby issue sorted. short answer? i'm an idiot.

long answer? the directv sat rcvr, delivered and installed yesterday, had not been set to "dolby digital" in the audio options of the menu. i'm not even going to blame directv or the installer dude for not doing that, totally my fault. i didn't realize there would be an audio setting on a satellite receiver for dolby. like i say, i'm an idiot. but your reply at least helped to reassure me that i had that part of the hookup done right.

thanks again, and thanks for your assistance and patience,

dean
cincinnati
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM

First off, you need to know that you want to connect to give you the best possible picture and sound. This means digital, i.e. hdmi and coax/optical.

HDMI routes both video and audio digitally. This makes it really simple to hook up. Plug it in and you're done. This is probably the easiest solution. (sat rx to av rx to TV)

However, I've read that some sat rcvrs do NOT transfer DD5.1 over HDMI. If that's the case with your rcvr, connect the optical or digital coax from the sat rcvr to the av rcvr.

This setup should get you your OSD from the Onkyo (I assume that's the OSD you want).

There are quite a few other options for connectivity. If you want something else, respond and we'll talk about them.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

dmspen (and anyone else),

thanks very much for your assistance.

i'm still confused on the OSD part, however. when i click on the t.v. remote for "tv/video", it shows 8 options: 1-"tv"; 2-"comp 1"; 3-"comp 2"; 4-"hdmi 1"; 5-"hdmi 2"; 6-"dbs"; 7-"video 2"; 8-"video 3". on the back of the t.v., i have the hdmi coming out of the port labeled "hdmi1 av in", and that goes to the sat rcvr; and i have an s-video going from the t.v.'s input 1 to my av rcvr monitor out.

now, when i click on the "hdmi 1" option (#4) on the tv/video, i don't get the OSD, but i get picture and sound and everything else; but when i click on the "dbs" option (#6), i do get the OSD. my concern is this: if i'm clicking on the dbs option, which apparently is the s-video cable, am i losing the hi def?

thanks again, and thanks for your assistance and patience,

dean
cincinnati
post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 AM

Let's address the OSD (on Screen Display) issue.

I't sounds like you are trying to get both your OSD and HiDef coming across the same input on your TV.

First, I'm assuming you're talking about the display from your AV receiver as opposed to a TV Guide type display which you probably have since you have a TV picture.

This OSD comes from the receiver. The only line you currently have connected to the receiver is the S Video. It is connected to your DBS port which I believe is S Video. That's why you get the OSD on DBS input #6. S Video is not Hi Def.

If you want the receiver OSD on the same input as your hiDef picture, you must connect the DirecTV receiver hdmi to the Onkyo AV receiver hdmi input. Then connect from the AV hdmi output to the TV hdmi input (#4 or 5).
Directv hdmi-> AV rcvr HDMI IN
AV rcvr HDMI OUT -> TV hdmi IN

Your OSD should then be transferred across the hdmi line from the rcvr to your tv as well as the HiDef picture..

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-28-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

dmspen,

thanks for the reply. regrettably, i have no hdmi connection on my av rcvr. am i resigned to either having hd _or_ having the OSD? that's what i have been doing---getting things set up with the t.v. input that has the OSD, then just switching the t.v. input to the one with the hdmi.

thanks again,

dean
cincinnati
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page