Denon's Audyssey vs. Pioneer's MCACC - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #121 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The DRC-88A seems a peculiar beast. Analog I/O only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dirac seems pretty cool, except for the price!
Please let us know your findings with it.

My old Sherwood 972 that I just recently sold had the Trinnov Processor.

The IMPLIED reasoning behind these processes are that you will LIKE the flat response that they give.
I did not care for the flat Trinnov Curve, so the guys at Trinnov gave me a bunch of other curves to try.

That was sort of cool, however, I found that by simply using my remotely controlled bass and treble controls, I could pretty much get the sound I wanted, as long as the bass room peaks were flattened.

I had HDMI Issues with my Sherwood 972
So, I sent it on it's way, with much sadness.

With my old Yamaha RX V 2700, and just it's Parametric Equalizer, even W/O a calibration Mike to use the YPAO, I have flattened my main bass room peak, using just the parametric equalizer, and an SPL Meter with a test CD.

Then, I use my remotely controlled bass and treble controls, to get my "curve".

I have an old small amplifier, and the silkscreened brand logo has come off of it. I think I am gonna have the words "TACT Room Correcter" silk screened onto it, and stick it in my rack.

Then, I shall invite a few of my audio snob buddies over, to "Hear the TACT"

And, as soon as one says "See, I told you that good room correction works", I am gonna spring the truth on them
post #123 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
WTF is Dirac ?
Dirac and Trinnov seem to be the top of the heap in this regard these days.
post #124 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Dirac and Trinnov seem to be the top of the heap in this regard these days.
Yes, I did the Trinnov dance, and it does offer some really crazy features, like spatial remapping, so u can have a center speaker in the ceiling, and Trinnov will make it sound like it is really centered with your TV.

The good people at Trinnov gave me several really cool curves for free. It was really too bad about the HDMI Issues I had with the Sherwood 972.
post #125 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 2200
Quote:
Yes, I did the Trinnov dance, and it does offer some really crazy features, like spatial remapping, so u can have a center speaker in the ceiling, and Trinnov will make it sound like it is really centered with your TV.

The good people at Trinnov gave me several really cool curves for free. It was really too bad about the HDMI Issues I had with the Sherwood 972.
Yeah, the Trinnov Altitude series is priced a bit differently ....that Sherwood was tempting at one point except for the bugginess I kept reading about.
post #126 of 136 Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Yeah, the Trinnov Altitude series is priced a bit differently ....that Sherwood was tempting at one point except for the bugginess I kept reading about.
Actually, the very last firmware update helped a lot of the HDMI issues, but not me!
That was a very nice sounding receiver, even in 2 channel w/o any Trinnov.
post #127 of 136 Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Cool thing about Dirac Live on the 88A is that you can create an unlimited number of target curves and store up to four at a time. It is analog only. Goes between pre/pro and amps. I find it amazing.
Ka7niq likes this.
post #128 of 136 Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpco View Post
Cool thing about Dirac Live on the 88A is that you can create an unlimited number of target curves and store up to four at a time. It is analog only. Goes between pre/pro and amps. I find it amazing.
I just don't get why on earth they would hobble it that way. Why not have digital in/out?
post #129 of 136 Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post
I just don't get why on earth they would hobble it that way. Why not have digital in/out?
I thought the same thing. My old friend Albert Von Schweikert who makes speakers once told me that as long as EQ etc was all done while the signal was in the digital domain, he could hear no degradation.
post #130 of 136 Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
IMHO, Pioneer's MCACC System wins this argument, because not only can you adjust it, but you can also create and store 6 different curves that YOU created.

The day that Audyssey offers the level of Tweakability that Advanced MCACC does, I will consider it. Until then, why have any room corrections system that imposes it's will on you, with no way to adjust it ?

Do you not trust your own ears ?
Wow, since I hadn't posted about this stuff in 6 years, I was surprised to see I was quoted at this point! I'm still using my Pioneer VSX-1.
Ka7niq likes this.
post #131 of 136 Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because it's an external box and it doesn't decode or anything. They have one with HDMI in/out, but the analog is more flexible. 8-channel preouts to 88A. A/D/A with digital processing in box, and analog outs to amps. Sounds great.
post #132 of 136 Old 05-20-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Because it's an external box and it doesn't decode or anything. They have one with HDMI in/out, but the analog is more flexible. 8-channel preouts to 88A. A/D/A with digital processing in box, and analog outs to amps. Sounds great.
Anyone know what Harman Kardon has been up to, as far as room correction goes, these days ?
post #133 of 136 Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All that does is make it back compatible with older, pure analog systems.

It's kind of silly NOT to keep it all digital. It may not be 'decoding' but it is most certainly applying serious DSP to the signal.
post #134 of 136 Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Denon's Audyssey vs. Pioneer's MCACC

Quote:
All that does is make it back compatible with older, pure analog systems.

It's kind of silly NOT to keep it all digital. It may not be 'decoding' but it is most certainly applying serious DSP to the signal.

They sell the nanoAVR DL that has two HDMI inputs. It only accepts decoded LPCM. Not sure why you think it's silly not to keep it all digital. How could an all digital external box work with all sources and codecs? Where would it fit in the chain?
post #135 of 136 Old 05-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Got an AVR or PrePro with digital outs? And a power amp with digital ins?

Me neither.
lovinthehd likes this.
post #136 of 136 Old 05-23-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They sell the nanoAVR DL that has two HDMI inputs. It only accepts decoded LPCM. Not sure why you think it's silly not to keep it all digital. How could an all digital external box work with all sources and codecs? Where would it fit in the chain?
Because , as you note, you could output the decoded audio from the preamp digitally as LPCM, into your digital external box.

What is it people think happens in AVRs? Lossy and lossless formats are decoded to PCM, then DSP is applied in the digital domain. Then output to 6 amplification channels.

That couldn't happen with separates?

I understand having analog connectivity as a thing nice for legacy hardware. But it appears from other testimony on this thread that preamps with HDMI out and amps with HDMI in are simply rare birds even now. I had no idea the separates field was still so primitive. I feel for you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Pioneer , Pioneer Brand