Denon's Audyssey vs. Pioneer's MCACC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 101 Old 01-20-2007, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any opinions as to which one works better...?

the Pioneer VSX-82TSX has this program and comes with the mic for setting it up...

the Denon AVR-2807 has the Audyssey, and I'm assuming it comes with a mic for setting it up...

does anyone know if the Pioneer passes audio and video through HDMI...? i know the 2807 does...

my main use will be for PS3, and ocassional movie watching...

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 01-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImDiesel View Post

any opinions as to which one works better...?

Audyssey is the most advanced room correction in the market presently. MCACC doesn't hold a candle.

Quote:

the Denon AVR-2807 has the Audyssey, and I'm assuming it comes with a mic for setting it up...

You assume correctly.

Quote:

does anyone know if the Pioneer passes audio and video through HDMI...? i know the 2807 does...

If not, one would question why it's there (ie: yes, it does).

Quote:

my main use will be for PS3, and ocassional movie watching...

Given that you don't even list music-listening as a purpose to the system, room correction seems an unimportant factor for your needs. Pick the cheapest option.
post #3 of 101 Old 01-21-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

so speaker setup for surround sound holds no importance...?
post #4 of 101 Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 AM

Even for movie watching, the Audyssey on the Denon 2807 made a huge difference in my room. Vocals are better focused and the sound stage is much wider with smooth panning. I can also sit off-center with dialog still anchored to the screen.

Room correction, if done well, makes all sources sound better. Music just gets the most benefit.
post #5 of 101 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Sure, it does but both the Denon and the Pioneer (as well as many others) have that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 101 Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

i opted for the Elite... but can swap it out if i so choose...

we'll see how it works out...
post #7 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Audyssey is a RoomEQ product, not a speaker setup routine.
post #8 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlovr View Post

Audyssey is a RoomEQ product, not a speaker setup routine.

Yes. Seems as if we have to say this over and over and over.......................

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

ok, i got it...

no need to continue crying about it...

and it seems the Audyssey is mainly for music, so i have zero use for it anyhow...
post #10 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

and it seems the Audyssey is mainly for music, so i have zero use for it anyhow...

Where did you get this idea from? It applies equally to music and HT and most of the Audyssey-recommended demos for it are movies, not music.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #11 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

i got it from someone here who said the Audessey was mainly for music content...

it's hard to get somewhere when you have conflicting information coming from all angles...
post #12 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgeek View Post

Even for movie watching, the Audyssey on the Denon 2807 made a huge difference in my room.

As did MCACC in mine. I haven't heard any of the other mfrs' automatic room correction routines.

But the fact is , no one has published any sort of rigororous (or even casual, as best I know) comparison of Audyssey vs MCACC vs YPAO vs Harman's room eq, in terms of their effects on the same room, same setup, same listening position. Not even before/after room measurements, much less subjective impressions (Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt. It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.
post #13 of 101 Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

(Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt.

Not very likely. We do not review receivers, as a rule so, unless someone is very hot to do this particular test, it will not happen. Don't count on me.

Quote:

It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.

See my forthcoming March column.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #14 of 101 Old 01-24-2007, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, I'm extremely happy with Audyssey on both, music & video performances.
All I do is - once in a while - to swap between Audyssey & Flat modes, but most of the time it's engaged on Audyssey. My AVR is a 3806.

To my taste, not even manual EQ (which doesn't have Audyssey apllied) surpasses the former. So, IMHO: THANKS Audyssey!

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #15 of 101 Old 01-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm curious, how does Yamaha's YPAO compare to Audyssey?
post #16 of 101 Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

apparently it's crap, cause everyone seems to feel the Auddessy is GOD...
post #17 of 101 Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
... or DEVIL, if you see things from a different angle.

Lots of people on this & other forums doesn't like the way Audyssey sounds though.

Cheers.

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
post #18 of 101 Old 01-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

As did MCACC in mine. I haven't heard any of the other mfrs' automatic room correction routines.

But the fact is , no one has published any sort of rigororous (or even casual, as best I know) comparison of Audyssey vs MCACC vs YPAO vs Harman's room eq, in terms of their effects on the same room, same setup, same listening position. Not even before/after room measurements, much less subjective impressions (Kal, are these something Stereophile could be persuaded to try?). So any definitive claims made here should be taken with a large lump of salt. It should also be noted that Audyssey as supplied on Denon receivers is a 'simplified' version of the extremely powerful Audyssey engine available as a stand-alone device.

I sure wish someone would; I think a LOT of people would be interested in the results!
post #19 of 101 Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's hard to get somewhere when you have conflicting information coming from all angles...

apparently YPAO is crap, cause everyone seems to feel the Auddessy is GOD...

They are ALL better than doing nothing which is what many people do. Most don't own an SPL meter. Just because Audyssey is the preferred EQ by many does not make the others crap. And having your a** on your shoulders doesn't make anything sound better.
post #20 of 101 Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM

So is the only option to automatic correction schemes a PEQ? If so, is there a 5.1/7.1 ch PEQ that is cost competitive with the built-ins?
post #21 of 101 Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbnd View Post

So is the only option to automatic correction schemes a PEQ? If so, is there a 5.1/7.1 ch PEQ that is cost competitive with the built-ins?

Nope. The hardware cost of the built-ins is minimal consisting of firmware and a mic input. The hardware cost of a standalone includes real hardware (chips, controls, components), chassis and power supply. Hard to imagine how they could be cost competitive. In fact, I do not know of such a stand-alone 5.1/7.1 PEQ.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #22 of 101 Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Are they all truely just frequency domain PEQ's though? For some odd reason I thought I remember some (maybe Audessey) also doing some time domain correction as well. That said if truely the case with time correction and implemented correctly (big assumption) the internal room correction should be superior to stand alone PEQ??

All that said the best rooms I've heard have just been calibrated with external EQ.
post #23 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post

Are they all truely just frequency domain PEQ's though? For some odd reason I thought I remember some (maybe Audessey) also doing some time domain correction as well. That said if truely the case with time correction and implemented correctly (big assumption) the internal room correction should be superior to stand alone PEQ??

Audyssey is indeed time-corrected as well as frequency-corrected. That is perhaps the main reason why it is so vastly superior to a PEQ. But also, it uses finite impulse response filters instead of PEQ's infinite impluse response filters which eliminates the smearing and ringing that PEQ systems create.

For PEQ to compete, it would have to be 512-band, time-correcting, and completely change its filter-type. Hence... PEQ cannot compete
post #24 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Audyssey is indeed time-corrected as well as frequency-corrected. That is perhaps the main reason why it is so vastly superior to a PEQ. But also, it uses finite impulse response filters instead of PEQ's infinite impluse response filters which eliminates the smearing and ringing that PEQ systems create.

For PEQ to compete, it would have to be 512-band, time-correcting, and completely change its filter-type. Hence... PEQ cannot compete

Is that 512 band/ch? Is this the same for all levels (2eq, multeq, xt)?
post #25 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Possibly exciting news on the comparative testing front:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=340

assuming Audyssey and MCACC were tested, which is unknown.
post #26 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You can download the report from the AES library.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

post #27 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Audyssey is the most advanced room correction in the market presently. MCACC doesn't hold a candle.

Not true. Even CNET's review stated that Audyssey's setup is far more complex and time-consuming, though no more accurate.

Advanced MCACC as used in current model Pioneers is most excellent and has some major advantages. Let me link you to a Denon thread and a post of mine where I posted my review of their operational differences regarding customizing the results to the content and your tastes, as to why I chose MCACC over Audyssey in a big way:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post15252779

Quote:

Audyssey is indeed time-corrected as well as frequency-corrected. That is perhaps the main reason why it is so vastly superior to a PEQ.

MCACC also works in the time domain to correct for room reflections as well direct sound from the speakers. See this Denon thread and my post there:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post15259633

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskav73 View Post

As a current Pioneer owner and former Denon owner, I prefer the results of MCACC over Audyssey. I found the imaging to be spot on with MCACC, and it also corrected for a boomy bass problem that Audyssey couldn't correct for me.

That doesn't surprise me. Enjoy!
post #28 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskav73 View Post

As a current Pioneer owner and former Denon owner, I prefer the results of MCACC over Audyssey. I found the imaging to be spot on with MCACC, and it also corrected for a boomy bass problem that Audyssey couldn't correct for me.

Uhh. Audyssey makes a lot of products. Disregarding Dynamic EQ/Volume, did you use?...

2eq
multEQ
multEQ XT
Audyssey Pro
Audyssey SEQ (nm, its a standalone)

post #29 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 06:20 PM

Liked: 53
The first thing to consider with these auto EQs/room correction systems is they should be thought of as the final tweak. Fix the room first! None of these can correct room problems, they TRY to compensate for them. I understand using these systems is sometimes the only option one has in their situation, but if possible fix the room!

The other thing to consider is how these systems work. We can argue the technical merits of one vs. the other but that doesn't mean the more advanced EQ will give better results. The reason is none of these systems know what is causing the problems in a given room. They apply an algorithm based off their measurements. These systems can be tricked and often apply settings that may not be appropraite for a given situation.

If the EQ system with the lesser technical abilities happens to have its algorithm modeled after a room similar to the one being measured your results will probably be pretty good. If the measurements trick the more advanced EQs algorithm the results might not be as good.

It is important to understand that when measuring multiple seating locations that the measurements at different seats might require different EQ correction which isn't possible. Depending on the algorithms decisons some locations may sound worse! Debating over which one does the better job is pointless unless the rooms, equipment, etc. are identical.

Hope this helps.

Bob
post #30 of 101 Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

It is important to understand that when measuring multiple seating locations that the measurements at different seats might require different EQ correction which isn't possible. Depending on the algorithms decisons some locations may sound worse! Debating over which one does the better job is pointless unless the rooms, equipment, etc. are identical.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob, Very nicely said!

Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Audyssey , Denon , Pioneer , Pioneer Brand

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page