alternative to BFD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in getting a BFD, but I am picky. I very much dislike silver or white things in my rack. All of the rest of my components are black, and if I am going to get anything I would like it to match. If I dont find anything, Ill probably still get a BFD, but Ill just hide it somewhere, however, are there any other good (and low cost) units that people reccomend, which are black?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastarecoil View Post

I am interested in getting a BFD, but I am picky. I very much dislike silver or white things in my rack. All of the rest of my components are black, and if I am going to get anything I would like it to match. If I dont find anything, Ill probably still get a BFD, but Ill just hide it somewhere, however, are there any other good (and low cost) units that people reccomend, which are black?

How about painting it? I am not sure you will find a comparable component in black. I cannot think of a reason why the company used that faceplate
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

If I recall correctly, there are labels painted under the buttons on the bezel. This still is an option, however. Buying something black already would be nice though.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Is there an easy and clean looking way of printing labels to put on the bezel should I paint it black?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

I actually got rid of my BFD for an analog PEQ. Then replaced the PEQ with the SMS-1. If you want to keep the BFD, you could get a blank plate and bolt it in front of the BFD with some spackers. I was considering this not for aesthetics but so people wouldn't mess my settings.

Eric Chong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I know most people are able to keep up with all this, but I am still behind on what all these acromins are. What is PEQ and SMS-1?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastarecoil View Post

If I recall correctly, there are labels painted under the buttons on the bezel. This still is an option, however. Buying something black already would be nice though.

Yes, you are right, sorry.

-It is best to have those labels. There might be a way to anodize the face plate, more $$, and just block off the labels? You could look around the area where you live for such service.

-Or, someone who is into painting computers fancy. They would know how to mask off those labels and paint the plate..

-Or, how about a smoked glass in front of it. You can still see what you have set, yet not look silver and have easy access to change settings?
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 AM
EC
AVS Special Member

PEQ=Parametric EQ
SMS-1= Velodyne SMS-1 which is an auto calibrating PEQ for subs

Eric Chong

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I've toyed with this idea myself, painting the BFD. I'd first scuff it up with some #400 sandpaper before shooting it with some satin black spray paint.

For the labeling, I'd try scanning the front faceplate and printing stick-on labels on a good-quality printer (if you don't have one, you could take the files to Kinkos or something). I wouldn't worry about every little bit of labeling, like the line between the L and R engine, the Couple and Midi labels etc.- just basic labeling. I wouldn't worry with all the superfluous wording on the left side of it either. I'd also buy some flat aluminum stock and cut some side covers for the holes that are left when you take off the rack ears.

Really, the only iffy part will be the stick-on labels, making the lettering small yet extremely sharp. If you can get that, the rest would be easy.

Someday I'm going to give it a try.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page